“It was fun to be a tourist in my own town”

Take My Mother Please Tours
Ranked #126 of 255 Tours in Los Angeles
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Although I have lived in Los Angeles for many years (I won't say how many) I had never before seen the Bradbury building. Wow! Had it not been for my tour with Take My Mother Please, I may never have seen it. Take My Mother Please took us on a relaxed architectural tour of downtown Los Angeles and I must say, it was fun to be a tourist in my own town with my out of town family and friends. While on the tour, my guests mentioned that sometime during their stay in Los Angeles, they wanted to visit a unique soda pop shop. As it turned out, the soda pop shop was about a 20 minute drive from where we were, so as part of our tour, Take My Mother Please took us there. Fun! Next time you have out of town guests, consider a tour with Take My Mother Please.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

First of all, how can you NOT love the name of this private tour company?! I was drawn to it instantly when trying to decide how best to "do LA" for the first time with my wife and 14-year-old son as part of a weeklong trip to Southern California from Rochester, NY. So much to do, so little time...and no desire to navigate LA in a rental car or, worse yet, on a packed tour bus!

As the saying goes, Anne Block (the owner/operator/ and our private guide) "had us at hello." I was blown away by her responsiveness to my initial email inquiry a full six months ahead of our planned trip -- and liked (and trusted) her immediately. (The trust factor was a big thing for me, for obvious reasons!) Anne answered all my questions, was open to all of my requests, and offered many wise suggestions about what was doable and what may not be in a six-hour custom tour.

Since we were staying in Anaheim (at Disneyland), we took the train into Union Station in downtown LA. When we got off the train, there she was -- in a bright red hat -- and from the moment we met Anne, my wife, son, and I liked her immediately and spent a fun-filled day together that none of us will ever forget.

In addition to the terrific sites we saw (including "must-dos" that we requested like Hollywood and Beverly Hills, and some novel sites that Anne selected that we could have never known about), a few things really stood out about our day together:

1. Anne went out of her way to make sure she exceeded our expectations.
2. Her driver (Wendy) made it easy for Anne and us to "hop out" whenever we wanted for those perfect photo ops without us worrying (and wasting time) with parking. Anne even took pictures with my camera so we'd all be in them!
3. Anne ensured that our teen-aged son felt included throughout they day -- paying particular attention to him and his interest in film, and our desire to do "a drive-by" of USC.
4. She even agreed to drive us back to Anaheim (for an agreed-upon added fee in advance) since we didn't know where we'd be when our tour ended.
5. We never once experienced one of those "this is really weird / I don't know what to talk about / I want this tour to end" moments that could easily happen when you're "trapped in a car with complete strangers in a strange city" for six hours.

Our only complaint? The day went way too quickly and we needed six days -- not six hours! -- to see/do everything we would have liked. Nonetheless, I feel like we had a "crash course" in LA, made friends along the way, and definitely got a terrific value for the money spent (which, BTW, was handled easily via credit card...another one of my concerns beforehand. I didn't want to be traveling with tons of cash in my pocket!)

I would not hesitate to call on Anne again on a return visit to LA -- and cannot recommend her highly enough. We definitely were made to feel like VIPs, and you will be too!

3  Thank Martial B
Reviewed August 10, 2011

My niece Veronica and her classmate Georgina were home for Christmas break from the University of Evansville. It was Georgina's first time to California (she is from England). She is a theater major and she had a list of places she wanted to go!!! So Anne designed a tour to cover them all! I am a native Californian and knew that to see everything in the time we had, I needed Anne to be our guide! Anne is so much fun and helped us see everything on the list plus more! She knows the history of everywhere we went and stories about buildings and just about anything we saw on our route! Georgina was tickled pink and I learned alot about LA that I didn't know. Highly recommend Anne whenever you have people coming to this area - she is fantastic!

2  Thank AnimalReikiLady
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I have traveled to Europe three times with Take My Mother Please and have thoroughly enjoyed each unique trip. The sightseeing is always enhanced by special local activities and gourmet dining experiences. In Tuscany, a harpsicord and violin recital at an old church, a visit to the studio of an atelier of fashion and lunch at a wine and farm villa. In Umbria, dinner in the home of a local shop owner and an olive picking experience. In Venice, the opera LaTaviata in a palazzo on the Grand Canal. In Paris, dinner in the Montparnasse Tower's 56th floor restaurant with a magnificent panoramic view of the city that makes you want to stay forever. These are just a few of the many special treats I experienced while traveling with Take My Mother Please. I've also participated in a few local activities and give them the same high marks as the European trips.