“This is the most terrifying motel I have ever stayed in.”

Nite Inn at Universal City
Ranked #136 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
San Mateo, California
“This is the most terrifying motel I have ever stayed in.”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

My mother was trying to treat us to a nice family vacation to Universal Studios and found this motel on the Universal Studios Website. She booked the 2 bedroom "suite" for my parents and my brother and his wife and daughter. She also booked an additional room for me and my boyfriend to stay in. When we arrived I just knew it was a horrible place despite all the fancy Mercedes that were parked out front which obviously belonged to the family that owned this place. After a 6 hour drive to get there I really had to use the bathroom and the toilette was covered by a wrap that said "sanitized" but when I opened the toilette someone had recently used it and did not flush. The floor was disgusting, the carpet had not had a good deep cleaning I don't think ever. It had stains everywhere. I told my niece not to walk around without shoes on. The beds were all different sizes and worn out. I did not get under the covers. The t.v. in our room did not work until some one was notified. Instantly after sitting on the bed I developed a small rash on my wrist so I refused to stay in my room and they did not refund for it. I am HIGHLY allergic to cockroaches and although I did not see any there I'm sure there are some. Since my brother was not able to come, me and my boyfriend stayed with my parents and niece in their two bedroom "suite" which was just a back room with a bed and t.v. added to it. The bed and t.v. were literally the only objects in the back room. The place smelled like smoke from the people that obviously lived above the office. There was molding that was poorly faceted to the walls around everything in the rooms including the t.v. and air conditioners. The molding was often missing in spots and the walls were dirty. We refused to stay there longer than one night even though it was booked for 3. They did nothing to remedy our complaints and looked annoyed because they were losing money. Maybe instead of buying all those fancy cars you should invest some money into your family business. Your business is a reflection of yourself and you take no pride in your business what so ever. This place is terrifying, do not stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Devizes
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Rude people on desk, cockroaches in cupboard and room, really noisy location overlooking freeway and expensive. Room furnishings very tatty and beds very squeaky - probably years old. Had to sleep with our clothes on for fear of bugs. Only good point was flat screen tv on wall. Do not stay here. Sleeping in your car would be preferable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Topanga Canyon, California USA
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Enjoy seeing all the Landmarks and Tourist sites, while staying at The Universal City Nite Inn.

You will be treated with Concierge service Par Excellence, and relax and par take of a quiet Cozy setting in one of their Charming, Elegant rooms at some of the best prices.

Do not forget to partake in their Continental Breakfasts and etc. throughout the day.

Kudos to all at the Nite Inn at Universal City!!!!!

Dr.Anastasia A.O-POLINI COOPER,Ph.D.DMA and Dr.GARY F.J.COOPER,Ph.D.

Room Tip: Highly recommend a Suite, or Basic Room: Either choice will be the right one.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank AnastasiaO691
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Unfortunately travelling with a larger family (6) and looking for last minute accommodation on a budget, there weren't many options. We only needed a night to recharge before hitting Universal and much to my wife and mothers delight, one night is all we spent.
The main 'plus' of this place was the close proximity to Universal Studios.
As a 'make do' family, the 3 Queen beds were surprisingly comfortable albeit a little noisy as the mattresses were still wrapped in plastic. The Air con units worked, they were noisy but we were too stuffed to care anyway. Bathroom was simple and clean. The breakfast offered was juice, crap coffee and pastries. Parking was free, if you were lucky enough to get one of the 14 or so spaces from which only 2 could accommodate a family vehicle.
The friendliest face seemed to be the maids who always smiled. My poor service rating is due to the guy at the desk who had the personality of a brick. Think he needs a 'Disney Experience' to liven up.

Room Tip: If you are planning to go out in the morning, skip the 'free' breakfast. Subway is around th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Sahava
Dixon, California, United States
Reviewed October 21, 2012

well me and a friend went there because of the location to universal studios...... i would rather pay 200 a night at the hilton then stay at this crap hole. when we went in the lady at the front was really rude, then they gave us a room above the office ( which i doubt is supposed to be a room). our covers had sperm stains on them and hair was still on the pillows. the smell of the room was terrible also. do your self a favor and spend the extra money and avoid this crap hole

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank j0hnny__b87
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I chose this hotel because of its proximity to Universal Studios. We were 5 persons and had rented a suite. There was no bottle of water offered by the hotel, no room to have breakfast: pick up coffee and pastry at the reception only and leave as it was a small area. Shower cleaning was made by the maid standing in it with her shoes! At 4am of our last night there, a drug dependent big guy tried to break in several rooms forcing doors and windows, including our room the window of which he broke with a brick to reach inside and open the door. He staid for a few minutes, sitting around, talking nonsense while I was calling the reception. Then he took off. Two guys were available that night at the reception. They came out of the office only when the cops got at the hotel, not a second before. The hotel manager refused to give a refund: not his fault what happened! He promised to mail a voucher for a next visit. Never saw it.

Room Tip: chose a hotel with bars on windows.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Fresno, California
Reviewed September 14, 2012

went with family summer 2012.the place is close <walkable to universal studios and a short drive to hollywood blvd.Rooms are small but cosy,comfortable and clean.The front desk are friendly and helpful.good value for price.will go back again.

Room Tip: upstairs.rooms advised.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
South San Fernando Valley
Colony Inn North Hollywood
Colony Inn North Hollywood
#93 of 351 in Los Angeles

Been to Nite Inn at Universal City? Share your experiences!