“Beauty is More Than Skin Deep”

Mr. C Beverly Hills
Ranked #41 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Beauty is More Than Skin Deep”
Reviewed August 29, 2014

We liked our stay at Mr. C’s Beverly Hills, but we didn’t love it. There are many fine things about this hotel on the edge of Beverly Hills: the location is surprisingly convenient, views from the higher floors are wonderful, and the style is relaxed and tasteful. The entrance area is pretty, but not necessarily well thought out (particularly when we - and others - had to wait and wait for the valets). So for us, the whole was less than the sum of its parts.

Our check-in was good: the valets (this time) were welcoming and efficient and the friendly, professional bartender who greeted us with Bellinis started us off well. We also enjoyed the highlights of the hotel and personal escort to our (upgraded) corner room on the 9th floor. The room was small, but very tastefully appointed and comfortable. And the views were terrific. We also liked the bathroom amenities and thought the bed was very comfortable.

If only the overall stay had lived up to our initial impressions. Service here is spotty: some folks are great while others don’t seem to know where they are working or what is expected of them. The restaurant is good, but not great, and we were surprised by the inconsistent service we experienced: three meals were three different experiences with different levels of service. We also tried ordering room service, but that was tough without a room service menu (even after we asked for one).

Nothing was really bad with our stay, but the hotel, the service and the surroundings lacked that luxurious ease that truly great properties have (often without you even noticing it). Yes, we have high standards. We’re picky and we have certain expectations about hotels. But that’s our perspective: we think when you’re staying at a property that bills itself as luxury, high-end and design-driven, you should get what you pay for. And at Mr. C’s, that’s not always the case

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank MJPBAF
Cristian R, General Manager at Mr. C Beverly Hills, responded to this review, September 24, 2014
Dear MJPBAF,
Thank you for your time in providing us with a detailed review of your stay at Mr. C. I apologize for the things that didn't go as expected. We will take your feedback to heart and address these issues as we strive each and every day to provide all of our guests with the ultimate guest experience. We hope that you will stay with us again for a better experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 28, 2014

We stayed at Mr. C Beverly Hills for a few nights on our honeymoon - we were in California for 3 weeks and this was our favourite of the 7 that we stayed in. Superb service, fab view and lovely shops a short walk away. We were made to feel very special and would go back in a heartbeat! Lovely pool area too :D

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor so that you can make the most of the view!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Cristian R, Front Office Manager at Mr. C Beverly Hills, responded to this review, September 24, 2014
Dear Jennifer M,
We were honored to have you as our guest during this special time in your life. We hope to see you again!
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 21, 2014

I stayed here for three nights with family. Nice place. Super hotel driver who brought us to restaurants in area. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. Few niggles. Room not ready at 3 pm. Reception a bit disorganised. Beer in bar very expensive. Will go back.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Motorsportenthuisias
Dear Motorsportenthuisias,
We appreciate your feedback and great to hear that you've enjoyed your stay with us. My apologies for the few hickups, rest assured your feedback is well taken.
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed August 20, 2014

Though booking, check-in, and the stay itself were pleasant, overall hiccups indicated that the service culture at this hotel is subpar. Upon checking into my room, I found that my room did not have all the amenities advertised during booking. I decided to call and inform the front desk, where I was greeted by a frazzled receptionist who told me that the hotel was booked out due to an event and that she could not help me. I explained to her that the pictures online were deceiving and that I had chosen the hotel based on them. She brushed me off by saying that not all the rooms had those amenities and that at any other time they could help me but not today. She added with an irritated and impatient voice, that "everyone has preferences" and that I should be happy because my room was a corner room and people like the additional space. Of course, I understand that if the hotel is booked out, I cannot be booked into another room. Beyond this, I am also aware that sometimes rooms vary, so I didn't really expect much, but perhaps an apology, and a "we will look into this." This incident really showed that the staff merely gives lip service to customer inquiries and problems.

The second point of frustration was the impossibly slow and defect elevator. Only one of the elevators was functional, and whenever the other showed up, naturally since the hotel was booked out, it was full of guests. On at least two occasions I found myself waiting for about 10 minutes. On a third I even had to take the stairs. I am not sure what measures where taken against this faux pas, but to make things worse I often met hotel workers in the elevators who were visibly distressed by and frantic about the elevators' condition. One of these service members even cursed quietly through the ride up and complained when other stops had to be made for guests to exit and enter. Needless to say, his attitude did not contribute to a pleasant atmosphere for me or the other guests.

The final instance of bad customer service that I experienced, was upon check-out when I asked for my bags to be brought out as they were being held by the concierge. I arranged for this with the bell boy about 15 minutes before my pick-up was scheduled. However, it took over 35 minutes to finally receive my bags. Both me and my driver had to wait and we did not receive an apology. I was merely told that the concierge was not at his post or was busy. This is not the service I expect from and for which I book hotels of this class.

Room Tip: Don't go.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Emma W
Cristian R, Front Office Manager at Mr. C Beverly Hills, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear Emma W,
Thank you for your review. Please accept my apologies for the issues you've encountered during your stay. We strive each day to provide all of our guests with top notch service, and I would hope that you will give us another chance to impress a better experience.
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 20, 2014

this hotel is nestled in the hub of Beverly hills with a fantastic group of high level service personnel that really know how to cater to the needs of travelers from all over the world.

we were greeted as soon as we entered the property and our car and luggage were dealt with quickly and pleasantly. we had seats in the modern and well appointed entrance area and were served fresh Bellinis (a signature drink of the hotel), and given a brief but informative history on the Mr. C hotel and some interesting facts about the family that opened the hotel.

Our room was not ready when we checked in and were told we could be driven to the nearby shops by Angel the hotel driver, who was very friendly and accommodating. the hotel is within walking distance to Robertson and Rodeo but they are not close.... Having the driver available is really an essential feature.

Our room was bright and modern with a European feel. We had a beautiful view of Beverly Hills from our balcony.

Honestly, the staff here are very courteous and really make an effort to accommodate the guests. We used Solomon the Concierge and he did a great job getting us a table at a fantastic restaurant.
the beds were not the most comfortable I have slept in but i realize that is a subjective thing.

All in all our stay at The Mr. C Hotel was wonderful, and I would have no problem staying here again or recommending it to anyone who was going to be in the area.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Eleanor Annette
Dear Eleanor Annette,
We thank you for your time in sharing your experience at Mr. C.
Al Muharraq, Bahrain
Reviewed August 20, 2014

We stayed for two weeks at Mr.C and were very impressed by the hotel. The rooms were very comfortable with a nice sized balcony. The service was amazing too everyone was very friendly especially the valet. I would definitely recommend this hotel. I didn't really know what to expect, we stayed at Four Seasons LA before and the Montage and didn't think Mr.C was going to be as good but we were pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank N A
Dear N A,
Our staff would like to say "thank you" for the nice review. We hope to see you next time you're in L.A.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Well deserving of its 5 star/Leading Hotels of the World Titles. Mr C Beverley Hills is a true luxury hotel. The sense of style, professionalism, and exemplary service starts from when the valet/porters charge towards you upon arrival until, with regret having to check out...AMAZING Hotel!
The large king size bed was the most comfortable ever....I couldn't wait to jump into bed each night!
The beautifully decorated room with combination of vintage and contemporary furniture in art deco style was cleaned perfectly each day.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: take a room on the Pico Boulevard side as the other side has building works.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear Flames1961,
Thank you for your "excellent" review. We appreciate your feedback and glad you've experienced Mr. C.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
The London West Hollywood
The London West Hollywood
#3 of 19 in West Hollywood
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,621 reviews

Been to Mr. C Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!