“Not terrible, but not great”

Four Points by Sheraton Los Angeles International Airport
Ranked #131 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This place is not terrible, just disappointing. My room was humid and overly warm when I arrived; there was an elderly air-conditioning unit in the room that didn't work, and when I called the front desk they said the thermostat was controlled centrally for my wing of the building. No luck there; slept with the window open to cool things down, which let quite a lot of noise in. The jungle metaphor continued with the arrival of a cockroach in my room, at least a small one that had the kindness to stay out of sight. Apart from that, it felt largely like a standard business hotel, and very close to LAX. Cheaper than most and you can feel the difference.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Chris B
PBFourPointsGM, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Los Angeles International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Actually for me as the GM this was a terrible stay. The biggest problem was the room. Our Center Tower rooms (150 out of 566) are classified as Traditional and they do have an HVAC system where either the entire Tower is cooled or the entire Tower is heated. The thermostats control the amount of air that blows into the room. Most of the year this works fine, but there are times during extremely hot or extremly cold weather - thankfully rare in LA - that the temperature can become problematic. I have to comment on the cockroach sighting. Yikes! This is a huge deal for us and thankfully extremely rare. I have already contacted our professional pest controil company and sent them a copy of your review. I assure you that it wasn't a pleasant conversation. I hope you will consider returning and will contact me so I can make sure you end in one of our Deluxe rooms. Thank you for the candid review. Safe travels! Phil GM

Write a ReviewReviews (3,310)

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed at the Four Points LAX while traveling through and back from our final destination point. The 24 hour check in check out is fantastic. No more waiting for room until 3 pm when you get in early or when you arrive late and have a flight out late the next day having to check out by 11 in the morning. This feature allowed us to freshen up late at night before we got on destination flight and check in early in the morning upon our return. The prices are very competitive for LAX. Look for some of the specials. We took advantage of the Manhattan beach trolley ride, breakfast and a couple of brews. The second time through we were tired and spent a sunny day at the pool. Good service, friendly staff. Rooms were clean and comfortable. The only thing that would be nice would be to have a safe in the room. Did not find the airport being close by a real problem for noise.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

I'm very grateful to you for pointing out the 24 Hour Check-In/Check-Out that is one of our unique (outside of the Luxury segment) services. If you let us know when you are coming we will have a room ready for you and you can keep it for 24 hours. If you go to our website there is more information and a simple form you can submit. Also, thank you for mentioning the Trolley to Manhattan Beach. It is sometimes easy to write off LAX as a coll location, but we are only 4 miles from Manahattan Beach and El Porto, one of the premier surfing beached in SoCal. All the Best! Phil GM

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Best airport hotel I've ever been to based on one thing... Their 24 hour room rate. Basically if you book any rate over $119 direct thru their hotel website they allow you to check in at the time you wish and check out exactly 24 hours later!! We were in LA for a 24 stop before heading home after a 30 day trip around the USA and being able to keep the room right until our flight left that night was amazing.
We checked in at 9pm the night before, woke up, had breakfast and then caught a $1 bus that stops in front of the hotel that in 30mins had us directly at Santa Monica where we spent the day browsing. We then took the bus back and had the ability to shower and rest before our 10pm flight!!
Rooms are clean and comfortable, nothing special, but just what you need from an airport hotel. Breakfast was probably the only downside, it was a little dirty in the restaurant and the food looked as if it had been sitting there for a while. Would definitely recommend it for a 24 hour stopover.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

I really appreciate you taking the time to write such a nice review. I still can't believe more hotels don't do something so logical as matching the room availability to the guest's schedule. We did it first in outside of the luxury segment and we still do it. In the end hopefully more people stay with us because of it. Best! Phil

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Noise can be a major issue if you get a room facing runways and Airport Bld. like the one I got.
If you are lucky enough to be in a room not facing planes and traffic then the paper thin walls will let you hear everything that happens in the surrounding rooms though not interconnecting. And when I write everything I mean it ! So the use of ear plugs is mandatory.
However, room was functional, well maintained, clean and comfortable.
Check-in and check-out were done quickly and politely and shuttle pick up and drop off were satisfactory.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank HOTELLMEMORE

It sounds like that except for the noise you had a nice stay. That said, our main expectation coming to a hotel is that we can get a good night's sleep. Noise is kind of a mixed bag for us. Some traveles find that there is noise and some say that the hotel isn't noisy. My apologies for the fact that you needed to wear ear plugs. I hope you will still consider using us again in the future. Best! Phil

Reviewed September 28, 2012

During my experience at this property I saw that some outstanding staff went above and beyond the call of duty to make the stay of their guests more amenable - at the LAX property, in particular, Fabiola Lopez at the Brewery, who is very attentive, accommodating, and an otherwise outstanding server - you don't encounter them often, especially in Los Angeles. She was able to provide her excellent and tailored service in both English and Spanish flawlessly.

Room Tip: Try to get the sixth floor city side - it's quieter
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ibebus

Thank you so much for recognizing Fabiola! She is a star in Brewster's and one of the nicest people you will ever meet. In the end a hotel is a building. When you add people it becomes a hotel and the level of hospitality comes from the compassion of the staff. All the best! Phil

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Would give them a 5 star for customer service. Found an online rate at the hotel website for $79 just perfect for our 6 hour stay while waiting for a flight from LAX. When I went to book it, however, the site kept "refusing" to complete the transaction. Called the hotel directly and a charming agent took 10 minutes, called me back and told me that the reason I had the struggle was that they were changing their rates at the exact moment I tried to book -- but she had found me a $75 rate -- was that OK? Oh yeah, more than OK.

The agent at the front desk -- Alexa? who greeted our tired selves at midnight made a friend forever when she gave my husband a beer voucher upon arrival.

The room was QUIET which was all we needed. But man, the bathroom was tired (rust in the drain, towels like paper towels, very 70's decor) The beds were a little soft. But we didn't care.

Shuttle took a little long to arrive so we opted for a $8 taxi ride.

But still -- the only other hotels close by were all over $100 so we were happy with the deal.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

I'll take the five stars for service. Probably the most important and rewarding aspect of managing a hotel is instilling the staff with a compassionate, can do attitude. All the rooms have been redone; in fact we just finished the East Tower in May. This could be one room that needs some preventative maintenance TLC. That is the downside to Tripadvisor reviews...we don't get the room numbers. I hope you will consider staying with us again. Best! Phil BTW I should mention the terry. We order some every month to restock and get rid of old towels.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

The location of the hotel is a short drive away from the airport. There is a shuttle that serves the Westin Los Angeles Airport Hotel and this hotel. It is complimentary and runs every 20 minutes.

When I arrived at check-in I gave all my details over and the front desk agent couldn't find my booking. I pulled out my confirmation however to my shock, I actually hadn't completed the reservation. The lovely lady at the front desk went to check about rooms for me and she came back and told me they could honour my rate I booked as they still had rooms available. I wish I got her name but it was on the night of 25 September 2012 at about 845pm when I checked in. She was so lovely and understanding. I could just imagine other hotels charging full rate. This set the tone for the rest of my stay. The staff here are lovely.

The room itself isn't the largest but I got a 2 double bedded room which was fine as just an overnight stay. The bathroom is smallish with a shower over bath. The bed was a 4 comfort bed which was extremely comfortable. There was free wifi at hotel and complimentary water in room.

Overall a great airport hotel which does better than others. Great value for money. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
PBFourPointsGM, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Los Angeles International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Compassion! I can image how stressful it must have been finding that the reservation hadn't been completed when you arrived. I am REALLY proud of the way we handled this. It is Customer Service Week next week and I've forwarded this story around to everyone on the team here as a great example of what it means to walk a mile in the guest's shoes. Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. It means a lot to us here! Best! Phil