“Mediocre”

Ray's and Stark Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Ray's and Stark Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #385 of 10,132 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Wilshire
Cross street: Fairfax
Description: Ray's and Stark Bar at LACMA is a casual dining restaurant in Miracle Mile, Los Angeles serving seasonal fare and favorites for lunch, dinner & happy hour.
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Wanted to check out a new spot for DineLA. We chose this spot Friday night, made reservations and arrived on time. Unfortunately there was some sort of concert by the lamp posts, and it was packed and extremely loud. We make our way back to the restaurant and checked in.

I'm pretty sensitive to smell, my husband said that's my superhero power. :/ But skimming through the reviews, I was happy to see that I wasn't alone in feeling that it did smell like a dirty gym. The place has a retro vibe, and I think for lunch it would be good, but I was expecting a nicer ambiance for dinner. The service was great all around, and the food ranged from mediocre to good. I liked the fresh baked bread they offer, and my dinner companions liked the drinks they ordered.

*charred octopus - really good. my favorite dish of the night
*squid ink pasta - i always wanted to try squid ink so i ordered this. the look of it freaked me out. not the color, but the tube-y pasta was jiggly. there was only so much of this i could eat too. i think i wouldn't mind it as a side, but not as an entree.
*pork - my husband's dish was good, but really salty. we had to ask for more bread to introduce a bland starch and balance out the salt.
*chocolate mousse - okay

All in all, I'm glad I checked this out, and I think this would be a great lunch spot. You can people watch and sit outside. But as for a dinner venue, it just wasn't for me.

There are newer reviews for Ray's and Stark Bar

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Although rays is a little pricey, the food is worth the price. I dined there on a recent trip to the LACMA. I decided to go with this signature burger, a large freshly ground patty with home made brioche, an egg and covered with cheese and onions. The burger itself was delicious, although quite expensive. The atmosphere is standard LA contemporary, with light colors and modern furniture. The bar at Rays is ultra contemporary and features plush chairs seated in an out door setting. The bar features a plethora of house drinks as well as a full bar and wine selection. Overall it was a great dining experience and will most definitly be returning on my next visit.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We spent our 32nd anniversary at LACMA followed by an early dinner at Ray's and Stark Bar. Do not wait to visit the museum to have dinner and drinks at this fabulous spot. The cocktails are custom and top shelf and wonderfully enjoyed on the outside plaza. But the real star is the exquisite menu prepared by executive chef Kris Morningstar. Every item we had was perfect....no, mouthwateringly perfect! Starting with the crunchy crust, warm and tasty bread served with butter (yes, in L.A.!) you know you are in diner's paradise. While everything was scrumptious the real stand out was the agnolotti topped with shaved truffles. I can't wait to return. This time I will skip the museum and go straight to Ray's.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Amazing lunch - all specially acquired ingredients. Flavors leapt off the plate onto my palate. Great team service. Nice wine list. Wonderful desserts and wide selection of organic teas.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We had lunch here on a Sunday before visiting LACMA. Fortunately, we had made a reservation, a process that was handled efficiently online. We arrived separately, and were seated immediately. The restaurant is bright and not noisy. Our server was attentive and knowledgeable about the menu. Our food arrived promptly and was very, very good. The portions were small and the prices a bit high, but the quality was excellent. Incredibly, this restaurant does not have restrooms--one has to leave the restaurant and go inside the museum building to find facilities.