“Great food at the Museum of Art”

Ray's and Stark Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Ray's and Stark Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #520 of 9,898 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Wilshire
Cross street: Fairfax
Description: Ray's and Stark Bar at LACMA is a casual dining restaurant in Miracle Mile, Los Angeles serving seasonal fare and favorites for lunch, dinner & happy hour.
Chicago, Illinois
“Great food at the Museum of Art”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Rays is the "main" restaurant for the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA). However, you can just eat at Rays without tying it to a visit at LACMA.

We had lunch on a Monday (yes, it's open on Monday!) We had reservations; the weather was cool and intermittently raining, so we were seated inside. The menu had such interesting items that we asked the waitress which were the most popular. She said that the menu varied from day to day and were printed anew each day. No "specials" because everything was on the menu. For us, the problem was everything looked good. So, we had a side dish of roasted okra and a "Chile" appetizer (wood roasted chile, chorizo, dates, local goat cheese, almond sauce). Chile was among the best single dishes we've ever eaten (see picture).

We ordered entrees of duck confit and pork belly (see picture). The duck was generously portioned and perfect ! A lot like Peking duck; crisp on the outside, melt in your mouth inside. Pork belly was also super. Crisp and generous. Again, these entrees are among the best we've ever eaten. Rays has special wood-burning ovens to achieve such perfection.

We had no room for dessert; in fact, we had extra duck that we had packaged to go, and it made a late dinner! We did order one glass of wine, a red Syrah, and really liked it. With 20% tip, we paid $116. This was our first visit, and we intentionally ordered more than we otherwise might have. Other reviews knock Rays for being expensive, but compared to what? Service was a bit slow bringing the entrees, although we didn't particularly mind. Our water glasses weren't promptly refilled. Rays serves good sourdough bread to help "mop up" the delicious sauces, and we did just that!

• Visited December 2012

Maui, Hawaii
“Saturday after Thanksgiving ...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

okay so it was Saturday after Thanksgiving and yes there were alot of peeps around, but then I don't know what a normal Saturday is like at this place, but hello it is THE Cafe at LACMA, so one would think that would give them a clue...as to proper staffing etc...

well we were a party of 4 and just wanted beverages...self sat (no hostess in sight) at what appeared to be the 'bar' side of the place...waited a good 5 minutes and not a soul came by to offer up menus or take an order or anything...finally flagged someone down, literally speaking, and ordered up 2 ice tea's, one iced coffee, and I had the proverbial glass of red...a nice Malbec from Argentina...which took them forever to find/pour/deliver...at any rate I saw some of the plates coming out to other nearby tables, like pizza etc, and they looked pretty good...others have reviewed that aspect here and as mentioned we only had beverages...

I thought the service quite slow/non-existent, but at least we did eventually get what we ordered...it just seems they could have been better organized...
price was 25usd for above mentioned drinks...we were not rushed out or made to feel like we had to leave to make room for others, but I did notice as soon as anyone left, the table was filled immediately by other peeps at the museum, who, like us, just sat themselves for lack of a hostess...

• Visited November 2012
Naples, Italy
1,021 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,981 helpful votes
“elegant but too expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Situated in the center of the Los Angeles County Museum. Very elegant place with very elegant dishes. I tasted a wonderful sashimi with a delicious dressing. Even the bread is fresh and good. Very fresh and high quality food. Very kind and quick the service. But the meal was too expensive!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank atepais
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Eat somewhere else”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

We had dinner with some friends here on a Saturday night. Maybe it was an off night but the food was terrible and the service was amateur. Our drink and food orders were both mixed up. Even though the restaurant was mostly empty, they kept on trying to rush us through our meal. We ordered an assortment of appetizers, pizza, and entrees, dessert, They were mediocre at best and the pizza was badly flavored and the cookies we ordered for dessert were stale.

The venue is nice...we ate outside. There is also a lively bar scene.

• Visited September 2012
Los Angeles, California
“perfect food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

Delicious food, great service, great atmosphere!

Everything about Ray's was amazing. First off, the location was perfect. After walking around LACMA, anyone can get tired and hungry. Fortunately, Ray's is right outside the exhibit. The venue itself was beautiful. You can either sit outside on the patio or inside the restaurant (which has glass walls so anyone can see the outside scenery). My friends and I decided to sit on the patio for the full effect of the atmosphere. All of the tables were in view of the "Urban Light" lampposts, which is an exquisite piece of art in itself.

The food was very DELICIOUS. My friends had the steak and I had the octopus. I highly recommend both. I have to say, the steak is one of the best I've ever tasted. It was cooked medium-rare, and the texture was just right. Unlike most steaks that are dry and tasteless, this one was bursting with flavor. If you love meat, you definitely want to try this steak. For dessert, we had the sticky toffee pudding and chocolate with hazelnut . Both were delicious.

As far as service, Ray's gets an A+ from me. Our server was great. He was very attentive and checked on us often. I had ordered a cocktail that was a little strong for me, but I wasn't going to make a big deal out of it. Our server noticed I wasn't drinking the cocktail and insisted on getting me another that wasn't as strong. He really made a great impression because he cared about customer satisfaction... And the drink he brought back was just right! He really made us feel special because he genuinely cared. All the staff was very personable.. The staff here was awesome!

Overall, I had a great time. The food and atmosphere was excellent, but the service really stood out. It was like the cherry on top. I look forward to coming back.

• Visited June 2012