“Great food, amazing service”

Border Grill Downtown LA
Reserve with OpenTable
Border Grill Downtown LA is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #180 of 10,354 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 5th St.
Transit: 7th & Metro Station
Description: Enjoy upscale, modern Mexican food in a vibrant setting at Border Grill, the hip, urban cantina from Chefs Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger, of Bravo's "Top Chef Masters" and Food Network’s “Too Hot Tamales”. Presenting the bold foods and flavors of Mexico, Border Grill has established a new standard for gourmet Mexican fare. With a menu of complex authentic dishes based on the home cooking of Oaxaca and the Yucatan, Border Grill takes Mexican food to a whole new level!
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Our server was very friendly and knowledgeable. She made terrific recommendations for our group. We were seated immediately and given chips and three sauces for dipping. Agua Fresca was delicious; others in my group enjoyed their passionfruit magaritas. The small bites menu was extensive - the tamales were some of the best I have had in a long while. Everyone in our group enjoyed their food. I had the grilled skirt steak, medium rare, and it was incredible, as were the sides that accompanied it. Even though I was very full, I was sad that there was no more when I was done.

I don't often rave about a restaurant, especially Mexican food (which I like, but usually vote for something else if given the choice), but this was just that good!

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Pretty good overall, particularly for a Sunday evening when the offer a $25 tapas menu that is also an all-you-can-eat offer. The flavors were bright, creative and unique. The wild mushroom quesadilla, fish taco, briskett taquillo and mexican fried chicken sandwich were all distinctive and memorable without being too salty or garlicky. Our waiter was knowledgeable, attentive and never far. Value was particularly good given the menu we ordered from. The decor is looking a bit tired, but it probably does better on a Saturday night when the music is playing and there's a full-on crowd. Give this place a try, you won't be disappointed as it lives up to its celebrity chef status.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Staff helped us right away got us set up with nice hot coffee.Dinner was a huge stacking salad for me and a gumbo for my husband.This restaurant was across from our Hotel Luxe Downtown.the tables were close but easier to talk around our table.Being Canadian we are friendly and quiet,yes.We will be back next time in jail.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

The salsa verde withnthebcorn chips was brilliant and they gave us more and provided a list of ingredients as well. The tacos with grilled steak and the taco soup were excellent as well. Close to a number of downtown hotels in Figueorla Street

1  Thank Wacca
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Must try: Quinoa Fritters! On Sundays they have a set price for tapas. This is a great deal and can order how much you like. The dessert cart is not all you can eat just one plate though.