“Excellent food!”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Grand Avenue
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Had the angus, the prime rib, the pork and the kobe beef. I think angus was my favorite. It tasted like the brisket you find in pho except you can dip it in a sauce and it's pretty good. Wasn't too crazy about the kobe. It had a weird texture. The pork and prime rib were on point.

We did a pot of sukiyaki, and a split pot of spicy miso and shabu shabu. I didn't even use the shabu because the Sukiyaki is where it's at.

That was our favorite.

Service is great. My only gripe is they had no clue what the entertainment guide coupon was... but they still gave me a discount. so.. oh well... will definitely return

Reviewed June 4, 2014

When we got there it look like it was a cheap Japanese place opposite a petrol station. The restaurant was dark and had a small menu. We ordered shabu shabu. When I tasted the shabu shabu it was great and full of flavour. with the shabu shabu you could get unlimited rices.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

This is in downtown area only a few blocks from Staples Center and provides a range of options that you cook at your table. Food is reasonably priced, healthy & very filing, but our service was very slow. Restaurant was not very busy when we were there so not sure what problem was, but the food and concept were fun

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Arriving in LA on New Year's Eve, we needed a place to eat before attending the Rose Bowl Game the next day, and I'm glad I made a reservation at Yojie -- it was great! A short walk from the Hilton Checkers, Yojie wasn't busy when we arrived for a relatively early dinner (6 pm) so we could get a booth that allowed us to see both ways on the street corner on which Yojie sits. Soon after the restaurant began filling up.

At the suggestion of the waiter, after we told him we were hungry but not overly so, and wanted to save room for dessert, each of us ordered the Geisha size -- 5 oz. of the thinly sliced angus beef, which come along with "assorted fresh vegetables, shirataki, udon & harusame noodles, tofu, Japanese mushrooms, and seaweed....with free refills of rice, Goma, and Ponzu sauce" (from its menu on-line). In a word: yum! The waiter again was very helpful, setting up our dipping saucers for us. We put in some vegetables, as advised by another reviewer on TripAdvisor, to flavor the water a bit along with swishing the beef to our liking. It was great to have a bowl with a divider so that we could have one bowl boiling between us on the burner, and to have to eat a tad more slowly since we needed to cook the meat in between was perfect for enjoying the meal . We could vary how the bites we took tasted by using a different sauce if we wished and eating also a bit of cabbage or enoki mushrooms or one of the noodles. We ate using the rice bowl to catch the drips of the sauces and then enjoying the flavored white rice every few bites. Since I wouldn't be enjoying a traditional Japanese meal the next day with my mother for New Year's Day, this dinner was hitting all the right, familiar notes for me. The waiter was busy but kept checking back in with us to make sure we didn't want more rice or vegetables or anything.

But as a fondue restaurant, Yojie also had the very non-Japanese but very welcomed dessert fondue, which we had looked forward to having at the end. We chose the dark chocolate rather than the milk, red velvet, or signature green tea chocolate -- I prefer dark chocolate over any other. Again we had a pot between us to share, and we had an attractive platter of bananas, strawberries, and cubes of marble pound cake, brownies, and rice crispy treats for dipping. I must admit: we didn't leave any of the fondue unused. And we were glad we had a walk back to the hotel to work off some of that dessert!

In all, for a meal that we looked at somewhat as an early celebration of our anniversary, Yojie satisfied--tasty, filling food in a restaurant that delighted both visually and culinarily. We weren't rushed (how can one rush fondue anyway?) but treated warmly by all the staff -- what a great evening! If you wish to have a relaxing evening

Reviewed April 12, 2012

This place is a diamond in downtown LA :) I had recently gone on a walking restaurant tour and Yojie was one if the places we visited. I'm so glad we did! Anton one of the owners was so great and helpful. He explained shabu shabu and some history on the cuisine.. The food was so fresh and tasty..the sauces were flavorful and well seasoned.. I actually came back some days later and brought a friend. The decor is shiek and cool.. The music is funky but not over bearing.. Great for a first date or date night. Your date will be pleasantly surprised and happy to try something new :) The price is great too! Lunch for 2 came up to $20! Including a large hot Sake! Love this place..
Ps.Anton also gave me a cup cake on the house because I enjoyed it so much the last time from the walking tour.. Super sweet! Great customer service.. Love this place!