“Tapas and ?”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Colfax Avenue
Reviewed October 11, 2013

The atmosphere is pleasant, modern and clean. There's one fact you should know - If you are hungry, this is not the place to go. We must have ordered maybe 8 or 9 different dishes for the three of us. They ranged from really good to what is this? The "Crispy Smoked Cauliflower" consisted of five small cauliflower crowns. The "Chicken Mole" was literally three bites. For my money, I’d go a few blocks west to La Loggia/Next Door, where you can find really great tapas and/or dinner.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Really lovely, sophisticated room that was not horribly noisy as busy, hip restaurants tend to be. Our waiter was charming and friendly. i was encouraged, but alas then came the food. All I can say is that it was all just mediocre. Nothing was good. Nothing was awful. What was awful was the presentation. After the waiter dutifully explained the restaurant's approach to dining, which is to present each dish for sharing, we explained that one of us is vegetarian and the other a meat-eater, therefore we would like our food presented to each of us separately, as we would not be sharing. As if we had not said a word, the waiter brought out the food ONE DISH AT A TIME, and placed it between us for "sharing." I got a meat item, so I took it from the spot between us and put it into my service plate and ate it solo, while my companion ate NOTHING. Then I watched while she ate her vegetarian risotto. And so on. Bizarre to mandate that people eat a certain way, even when it makes no sense. Even though I didn't eat any, I could see that the risotto was overcooked and a bit waterlogged, which tells me that the rice is partially cooked and then finished when ordered, which ought to be a criminal act. I won't be back, but judging from the crowds, the locals will continue to flock here.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Pros: very nice, romantic ambiance with lots of tables tucked away and beautiful backlit onyx dividers. Great cocktails. I am not a dessert person but their bread pudding, smores and cobbler were all very good. Prices are reasonable (assuming you would like what you're eating).

Cons: The menu looked amazing and the four of us had difficulty narrowing down what we wanted to order. Unfortunately, all the dishes we ordered were way too salty, with the exception of the Kimachi (or something that sounds like that which is sashimi style fish) which was tasteless. Out of the other appetizers the albacore tar tar was probably the best, the brussels sprouts were not edible at all because they were so salty, the truffle and mushroom risotto was a bit undercooked and also too salty. The main courses were just OK (we ordered the flat iron steak and duck).

I doubt I will be returning.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Glancing at this restaurant from the street with its outdoor wall of hydroponic plants obscuring any peak inside, you would never know that inside is an absolutely GORGOUS restaurant! (And the full bar is lovely too!). Beautifully decorated by the owner's wife, the tables & settings are classy and spaced just right for privacy. We have a fave, though, that we always request....it is a benched booth with two chairs on the other side, but walled off on either side so there is more privacy...there is also a hand-made glass ribboned chandelier above this table that was assembled personally by hand by the owner's wife & daughter.....an absolutely stunning piece of "pragmatic" art. And then there's the food. Served tapas style, but not Spanish in delivery, each dish is meticulously cooked, prepared, and beautifully presented. We have now eaten at Raphael's over 5 times, and with guests, 3 times....& never once have we been disappointed. The service is superb without being cloying. They know their stuff & have always answered every question with thoroughness & certainty....that's saying a lot, given we have gone with some guests with lots of questions! We are THRILLED to have this unassuming "diamond in the rough" of our Studio City, CA neighborhood in the San Fernando Valley. We will be continuing to dine alone & bring friends to Raphael's as long as we are in this neighborhood! And, by the way, this is an UNpaid, & UNsolicited review of this excellent eatery!

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Probably the most beautiful restaurant in the valley. Great food and service to compliment. We have been there many times and have always enjoyed the experience.