“Never expected it...”

Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

So, your in downtown LA and you walk by a sort of non discript store front. You look down and see the "sugar fish" in the cement and go in.
30 min later all you can say is WOW!!!
My suggestion is try the Trust Me and then add to it.
The fish is super fresh and the rice is warm and actually tasty.
Add this to your must do list!!!

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

The menu has been streamlined since the Nozawa days, but the quality of the fish is still very, very good. As always, the service can be a bit rushed. For sushi snobs who care more about the fish than the scene, Sugarfish is still a must. Sasabune still edges them out, with more variety, friendlier service and a distinctly non-chain vibe.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

You won't see sushi chefs behind the counter, there are no reservations, no dessert, the ambiance is no nonsense just like the awesome sushi. We selected the DineLA menu for $35 per person (special during this time of year) that mirrors the Trust Me menu for $40. Checked in on FourSquare and Amex had a $5 discount. The iced green tea is great.The first tuna sashimi dish will knock your socks off. The yellowfin tuna was awesome and I loved the halibut. I couldn't finish the last blue crab roll but it was so hard to let it go. Lots of plates, lots of food fun. The rice is warm and flavored and not overdone. Everything seems precise. Service is fast and friendly. Dessert and lattes at Bottega Louie's nearby and you've got yourself a night of food fun.

Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

This is a must visit if you love sushi and are downtown LA. I travel a lot and if I have the chance I try to find a good sushi restaurang at each country I visit. This one is special, they have managed to get a unique taste which is great. I would say this is one of the best sushi I have had.
For a sushi restaurang I would say it is a bit expensive but well worth it. Great staff as well.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I have eaten sushi all over the country for many years and I have discovered a new #1-Sugarfish by sushi nozawa in downtown Los Angeles. I tried the "Trust Me" combination and was amazed at the tenderness of the fish, the subtle flavors and the presentation. I had yellowtail, salmon, halibut, and albacore sushi, tuna sashimi, toro handroll, blue crab handroll, along with organic edemame. I added a lobster hand roll, as well and washed it down with a dry sake. Every single item was outstanding. I savored every bite and almost hated to swallow the bite. The service was very prompt, efficient and friendly. It was a special pleasure to dine here. This is one of the best restaurants at which I've ever eaten. I'll definitely return on my next trip to L.A.