“Could be Better” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: First and Hope Streets
Transit: We're two blocks up 1st Street from the Civic Center station on the Metro Red Line. Dash 'A' Bus stops in front of the restaurant every 10 mins on weekdays until 6:30PM.
Description: Casual fine dining restaurant features Modern American Comfort Food all grown up and reinvented with a sophisticated downtown LA twist. Pre and Post Theatre dining. Bar Fedora at First & Hope features Jazz, Pop, & Broadway on weekends. Enjoy swanky, delicious cocktails along with an eclectic wine list. First & Hope is closed on MONDAY.
“Could be Better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

We had dinner before a concert at the Disney Concert Hall. The restaurant is conveniently located across the street. I ordered the short ribs which were quite good but I had to send them back the first time because they were barely warm and the mashed potatoes weren't warm at all. Our server was very nice about it and immediately took them back. My husband had the salmon and it was very good. He had ordered a glass of Pinot Noir. It tasted as if the bottle had been open for days. Again, the server took it back immediately and replaced it with a Cab which was better. When we got the check, she did not charge for either his or my glass of wine. I appreciate the good service and the complimentary wine but my review would have been better if these things hadn't happened. I had a sense that it is not uncommon. I might go back and try them again given that they are so convenient to The Music Center and The Disney but I would not make a special trip.

• Visited October 2012

“What a disappointment.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

The skinny:

Parking: not sure, we walked from metro
Decor: elegant
Service: horrible
Bathroom: filthy
Soda: weak uncarbonated coca cola
Food: hit and big miss

We came here with high expectations and we were fearfully disappointed. We took the metro from the valley to downtown and walked to the restaurant. I liked the close proximity to the Disney concert hall and other theaters. We walked in and were seated in an elegant dining room. It was not busy at all despite the fact it was a Saturday night. Right after we put our drink order in, they sat a couple down next to us who were on a first date. We has the painful pleasure of listening to them the whole meal because the were only one foot away. Did I mention that the restaurant was not busy?

We ordered an appetizer and a starter salad. After 40min it finally came and meanwhile the first date couple ordered and ate their meal and finished before we even got ours.

The bread on the table is a small portion and nothing to write home about. We ran through our drinks but we had to flag someone down to get more drinks. Did I mention they were not busy.

My friend went to the ladies room and came back with the report that it had no toilet paper and the trash can was overflowing. When I went later, all they did was set the toilet paper on the roll holder, the trash can was still overflowing and the toilet itself looked like it hadnt been cleaned in a week.

We finally got our beet salad and calamari. The salad was ok and the calamari was terrific. We felt hopeful. Then another half hour later we received our food. My friend and I got the cheeseburger with fries. The burger was good but the fries were like frozen fries. Bland with no seasoning. My hubby ordered the chicken which was also bland and the roasted potatoes that came with were mealy and disgusting. That plate was $23. My friends hubby ordered the prime rib. Full of fat and disgusting. He ate only one bite.
On a side note: why do the people who bring you your food not know where it goes? So unprofessional and they barely spoke English.
My friends husband had a few fries and a bite of cheeseburger. When the waitress came and asked how things were she did not even notice the steak that was completely uneaten. When we asked for the check and she took the plate away, she didn't notice that he had not eaten it.

Poor Service
Mediocre food
Filthy bathroom

And when we walked out I noticed that they had a grade B from the LA County Food Inspector. It was covered by anothet sign. when I called and asked why they got the B the response was that the chef was on vacation and that he would be back today. The Sous chef forgot to tell the kitchen staff to clean the double sinks. Isn't cleaning the kitchen a part of the process? Why would you remind someone to do that?

We will not be back.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Yummy food and great cabaret!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

Located as it is right next to the Disney Hall and across the street from the Music Center, it's a perfect spot for before-or-after theater dining. On Sunday the art deco back room is host to the Un-Cabaret, a delight show of comedy and music.

Visited May 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Trendy Comfort Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012 via mobile

Nice menu with selections of meat, fish and fowl. Interesting combinations and good wine list. Was quiet on a Sunday night, but the food and service were both very good.

“Elegant and delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

I'd gone to First and Hope a while ago for lunch and enjoyed it but hadn't been back. It's right next to the Music Center in Los Angeles, so we made reservations for 8:45 after a 6:30 show at the Mark Taper Forum. The restaurant is beautiful--sort of a 1940s supper club theme--and was sparsely populated at that hour on a Sunday on a holiday weekend. Apparently the kitchen closes at 9 so we ordered right away, starting with a nice glass of white wine and a good negroni. We shared a tasty iceberg wedge with bleu cheese and bacon. Then I had a large, delicious plate of scallops and my partner had the daily special, a chicken pot pie that he said was wonderful (and he knows his pot pies). Service was attentive and pleasant, a little on the formal side. We live near downtown, so we expect we will be back again soon!

• Visited February 2012