“Elegant and delicious!”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: First and Hope Streets
Transit: We're two blocks up 1st Street from the Civic Center station on the Metro Red Line. Dash 'A' Bus stops in front of the restaurant every 10 mins on weekdays until 6:30PM.
Description: Casual fine dining restaurant features Modern American Comfort Food all grown up and reinvented with a sophisticated downtown LA twist. Pre and Post Theatre dining. Bar Fedora at First & Hope features Jazz, Pop, & Broadway on weekends. Enjoy swanky, delicious cocktails along with an eclectic wine list. First & Hope is closed on MONDAY.
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I'd gone to First and Hope a while ago for lunch and enjoyed it but hadn't been back. It's right next to the Music Center in Los Angeles, so we made reservations for 8:45 after a 6:30 show at the Mark Taper Forum. The restaurant is beautiful--sort of a 1940s supper club theme--and was sparsely populated at that hour on a Sunday on a holiday weekend. Apparently the kitchen closes at 9 so we ordered right away, starting with a nice glass of white wine and a good negroni. We shared a tasty iceberg wedge with bleu cheese and bacon. Then I had a large, delicious plate of scallops and my partner had the daily special, a chicken pot pie that he said was wonderful (and he knows his pot pies). Service was attentive and pleasant, a little on the formal side. We live near downtown, so we expect we will be back again soon!

Reviewed January 16, 2012

Spent new years eve here and what a blast! Service was terrific, food was outstanding and the fedora rom offered a burlesque show everyone enjoyed. It was the perfect night out, across from the Disney music hall. In a strip mall but once you go inside you could be anywhere. Terrific after theatre too!

Reviewed November 25, 2011

We went for a Sunday brunch and were the first customers there. This seemed to confound the Maitre'd and totally confuse our waiter. We ordered coffee twice before it was brough to us and water came to our table along with the bill. A simple request for salt and pepper caused near apeplexy in our waiter, resulting in a 10 minute wait for two very tiny ramikins with salt and ground pepper in them . I had ordered Eggs Benedict which were served somewhat cold . A plate of fruit featured more bananas than anything else. The interior is pleasant enough but what a disaster.

Reviewed September 3, 2011

Overall, the service was mediocre at best, and the food was either too blend or too salty.

In terms of service, the server was very stand-off-ish for the whole night. When we decided not to order dessert, he became very sarcastic and rude (even though we order a glass of wine each, an appetizer, and 2 entrees). The cleanup staff were very nice tho.

For the food, given the prices of each entree, it was not worth it. The swordfish was too salty, and the halibut was too blend.

I will not go back to this restaurant. It felt like I wasted my money and time.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

I went here on a Sunday to listen to some jazz. We sat in the Fedora Room to see the show and enjoy dinner. Although there was only one other table occupied when we arrived and the room was filled with plenty of staff, the service was painfully slow. It took about 20 minutes to even get water and about 40 minutes to even order. The entrees (salmon and trout) were actually quite tasty, but the ahi appetizer was very bland and our dessert actually came out completely frozen (as did the dessert for the table next to us). Instead of offering a complementary alternate, they had us pay for another dessert. The music was great, but the fog machine was broken which led to a very smokey room. I was quite disappointed in the experience from the poor service to the food, so I don't think I will be back.