“Feels Like a Hostel”

Hollywood Historic Hotel
Ranked #113 of 354 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My husband and I booked this hotel because it was close to a two-day event he needed to attend. I couldn't stay there any longer than that.

We were off to a rough start, with a group of us stranded in the lobby for 30 minutes waiting for someone to come and check us in. By the time we entered our room, we had just another 30 minutes to get ready and arrive at our destination. Our room was okay, but the air conditioner took a while to de-stuff the room and bring it to a comfortable temperature. I shouldn't be seeing hairs on my linens—very disgusting. No phone in our room, but a nice mini-fridge (finally, one big enough for a pizza box) and alarm clock, which we used to wake us. A nice coffee maker, but just one packet of coffee fixings, and my husband and I like to have two cups apiece. The lobby attendant was kind enough to give my husband two additional packets. One lamp, on my side of the bed. Hair dryer attached to the bathroom wall.

The shower was very nice, great water pressure and temperature. My bath filled up quickly, but bring your own plug if you want the water to stay there. I started out taking a bath, but ended up taking a shower after finding myself sitting in suds without water 20 minutes in.

There was no phone in our room, so bring your own in case of emergencies, and bring your laptop if you want free WiFi and are willing to put up with it cutting out every five minutes. The elevator is still broken, for the curious. Parking is teeny-tiny, but free. A mini store about one block over for necessities. I purchased water and juices, and the lady who ran it was sweet. The in-room toiletries are lovely (disposable shower cap, yay!), but scant (as in any room), so bring your own as we did. Bring your own towel as well. I'm still picking bits of cheap, white two-thread count towel off of my skin. This hotel is located in a busy area, so expect noise and undesirables, but our key-card activated room door was even too tough for us to open without nearly breaking it down, so I guess the bright side is that if you can't open it, then no one else will be able to.

Anyway, we had a nice, hot shower, a decent night's rest, and we weren't murdered in our sleep. Three stars.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank johns_bird

Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

The hhh ^ is fixing there elevator!! It's only three flights anyway and with all the food you'll eat at the nue cafe you will need a bit of exercise. Firstly the owner (Edward;), he is around all the time and is born and raised in la. He and the other staff there are friendly as all hell. The rooms were quaint and just what you would expect for such a historical place. Easy breezy parking and pretty much central to all of l.a. This hotel is a must stay. Not 1 issue. Not 1 problem. And we stayed there for 9 nights for $510. It really made our trip basing there. Nue food we loved and Look out for -1. the hangover (avo bacon lettuce balsamic croissant
2. Future man 2000!!!!
3. Hippy shake!!!!!
4.ham and cheesy with avo
5.we didn't get past these four
Amazing cook out the back will stop and have a chat when not busy and really cool staff.
If you need an elevator for one flight of stairs. Your not gonna love it.
If your happy to save $500-$1000 on accom and run up you will love staying at the hhh
Love from Matty and Lennice

1  Thank Fattymallen
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Our group of 7 persons booked this Hotel on our own, thru the website and found the costs very reasonable. Although the lift was not working, it was not a problem carrying all our bags up the stairs. The staff were really friendly and helpful as it was our 1st trip to LA and needed some local knowledge on restaurants, transport and tours. Michael went the extra mile for us for which we were really grateful. The rooms were comfortable, although a tab old, but it did not matter to us. Traffic noise was very audible from the rooms facing the main road, but most of us slept thru it. They did not need a deposit on booking, and payment only on check-out. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who want cheap accomodation and are not too fussy. We reside in Sydney, Australia. You can contact me thru trip advisor if you wish.

Room Tip: Choose rooms facing the car park.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Norm216
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I were doing Los Angeles on a budget and we picked this hotel because it fit the bill. This is a no frills hotel that doesn't even have an elevator. What does it have? Well kept room with free parking! We were on the back side of the hotel so it was very quiet. We felt like the only ones on the 3rd floor which was great. We would stay here again!

1  Thank JArce84
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Strange little place but not bad for the money. Rooms are basic and in need of updating but very cheap and in a good location with free parking and free WiFi. Also, staff very friendly but if you need the reception you have to either call externally or go down as no phone in the room. Rooms have air-con but too noisy to have it on at night.

1  Thank lilyg1981
Reviewed August 30, 2012

This hotel is one of the most fun I have stayed in and a great value in the area. Although its kind of out of the way it is really fun, and I loved all the old photos of stars on the walls the jogged my memory. The rooms are great and we had one with a kitchen for $99 it was an excellent bargin. I had no issues with any bed bugs at all and they love me, the place was clean with good security and a nice cafe is right next to it with great lattes. Don't expect a bar or even the elevator working but that is the charm of this place. The only unfortunate thing is its next to the conservative area of Larchmount where you won't even find a bar on the the main drag, its like a mini orange county in LA. Overall if you want a bargin that is clean and has a great shower this is the place but be ready to walk or drive if you want a good dinner. The building is an old LA apartment building built around 1920's or a little later and the rooms are large and quaint. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Get a room on the back side of the building away from Melrose avenue, much quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pauditore
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Do not stay in this place!!!!! It is infested with bed bugs I woke up with over 100 bites on me that some swelled to the size of a baseball all over my face swollen eye shut told and showed the front desk and they did not care had to spend $130 a night for this! Manager has been called and left 6 messages and refuses to return phone call I went to dr because the pain was so bad, they were severely infected and I had a severe allergic reaction to the bites, not only can I not go out in public because of all the bites and open sores I am off work also for god know how long because of them I have lost so much money for staying at this pathetic place they call a hotel I have contacted a lawyer since they have obviously knew about this problem and have chose to do nothing about it, It is not worth the headache that you will encounter they do not disclose when you book the place also that there is not ice machine no elevator if you need anything you need to walk down to the liquor store 3 blocks away because the hotel doesn't provide even cups for the coffee pot that doesn't work towels are GROSS! There is nothing good about this hotel and the staff is unfriendly and a joke! Nobody we encountered should be working with people because they ALL ARE RUDE AND HORRIBLE TO GUESTS LIKE WE ARE WASTING THEIR TIME AND TOO IMPORTANT TO TALK TOO they should demolish this place!

• Stayed: August 2012