“Excellent location, nice facility, uncomfortable beds”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Los Angeles
UCLA Tiverton House
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Returned here since both my wife and I had appointments at the UCLA Medical Center (though those with no business there can stay at the TH for just a slightly higher price). The low prices and free parking are bonuses, but the location in Westwood Village, near restaurants, shops and cinemas, is wonderful. Even took a short walk through the UCLA Botanic Garden across the street.

WiFi now accessible throughout the hotel, though there are also two desktop computers off the lobby, attached to printers. Free "continental breakfast" seems smaller than it had in the past, and the tables can get crowded quickly. Front desk personnel were very helpful, even sending a fax for me for free.

Our room was fine overall, but the two double beds we got this time were not comfortable: maybe soft through wear. We didn't recall the beds being this bad before. Maybe just the luck of the draw as to what room we got. At least we were across the hallway from the laundry room (btw: ignore the time/price estimates on the sign on the wall-- doesn't appear to have been updated for years).

Room Tip: Check the room before you accept it (for the beds).
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sutter

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I stayed here last week as I was attending classes at UCLA.
The place is generally well kept, and offers a decent cold breakfast (though it gets tiresome after a week!).

Pricing seems reasonable, and the it offers coffee/tea facilities at all hours ...

it's also very convenient located across the street from supermarket Ralph's, which is open 24hours... and the same building contains Target for other sundry goods (open till 10pm).

All in a pleasant experience. Fresh towels everyday and friendly cleaning staff!

It's also a short stroll from Westwood village, and not too far from other amenities ... as well as a reasonable distance from the Getty museum if you plan to visit.

Room Tip: second floor - same as the breakfast area and laudry room!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank keltzar
Reviewed May 29, 2013

For families during medical appointments at UCLA, it is hard to come by a more welcoming place. The staff is fantastically supportive. The cost and proximity to the medical center make for an outstanding value. The rooms are clean and comfortable. It is more like staying in a friends extra bedroom. We have stayed here four times over 7-8 years and I would say that this is the most consistent property that I have ever visited. It is not fancy and the continental breakfast is nothing lavish but it meets the need. I would not hesitate to stay here again and would recommend it to anyone needing to be near the core of the UCLA campus. It is literally a few hundred yards from the medical clinics. Unlike most commercial facilities, you will not run into noisy, disrespectful people so common in four and five star hotels. There is free wi-fi and decent cable TV access. Units have a fridge and there is a well stocked grocery store across the street.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Mike A
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I recently went to UCLA Medical Center to be with my Mom during a high risk surgical procedure. Based on reviews I read online I selected Tiverton House for my stay. I couldn't have made a better choice. They are geared toward people and families coming to the medical center to be with loved ones. They have everything you need to make a difficult time a little easier. If your time needs to be extended or cut short they work with you to avoid additional charges you might experience at a traditional hotel. the shuttle to and from the medical center 24/7 was wonderful even though it is an easy walk as it is extremely close. The breakfast is simple but very appreciated as I spent most of my time at the hospital and this allowed for a quick meal that I didn't have to pay for. The coffee was not bad and always available and use of the kitchen was helpful if you don't wish to eat all of your meals out. I found that Tiverton House to provided everything I needed and gave me one less thing to worry about during a difficult time. The grocery store across the street was wonderful and open 24/7! If you are looking for the best value and a place that will provide everything you need while attending to a loved one at the medical center Tiverton House should be at the top of your list. Thank you to the wonderful staff for making my stay so pleasant!

10  Thank Chris E
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stayed here with my daughter while her husband was in the Ronald Reagan Medical Center getting a bone marrow transplant. I also came to visit them here last weekend after he got out of the hospital.The best thing about the Tiverton House is the very low rate they charge the patients who stay here. While the rooms are pretty basic, the location is great. We walked all over Westwood and to the hospital,even at night. Ralph's Market is right across the street and Target and Trader Joe's are right around the corner. The Geffen Playhouse is next to Ralph's. Enzo's Pizzeria in Westwood has a 23in. Pizza for $20 and they deliver--even to the Medical Center.There is an In N Out Burger several blocks over, some more upscale restaurants, and more fast food as well.TheTiverton House offers a free continental breakfast. Some of the staff were not that friendly and did not offer info about the amenities. But the location and value for patients and their families going through a difficult time (in an expensive area) is great. Also they provide free underground parking.

Room Tip: If possible a room with a view is nice.
8  Thank Default33009
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is the most reasonable place to stay if you are a patient or family of a patient. The rooms are not fancy at all but they aren't small. I bought a mattress pad for the bed because they are not very comfortable and feel pretty old. The location is great and the staff is mostly ( one exception!) very friendly and helpful. They have a little continental breakfast, not bad at all, free newspapers, a computer room, game room, exercise room, a kitchen you can use too. We paid 120 and I was pleased that included tax which made it a bargain.

Room Tip: Ask not to be at the front of hotel. If you can avoid the rooms across the atrium that seems like a...
4  Thank Susan H
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Although both my wife and I had appointments at the UCLA Medical Center, the hotel also seems popular with others, especially exchange student groups. Not surprising, since It does cost less than other hotels in the Westwood area, especially considering parking and a small breakfast and WiFi are included. The rate is slightly higher if you are not a patient. WiFi is not fast by any means, but when we last stayed here in late 2011, they had none. There are still two PCs, with a printer, in the lobby area. The room we got was clean and plenty large. A small refigerator is included. We had no noise problems except for one night when kids in the adjoining room played at midnight.

The free breakfast is basic-- cereals, yogurt, bread products, etc.-- and the area for dining can become crowded early on (especially when a large group came; they also pretty much took over the communal kitchen at night). Trays were provided the first day, so you could take food to your room, or to the downstairs lounge area, but those were not present later, and one worker said they had none. There is a fairly large laundry room on the second floor, but best to check in person on the cost and times beforehand, as the info posted on the wall and given by front desk personnel was incorrect.

There is a large Ralphs supermarket across the street, and there are many, many shops, restaurants, etc. within easy walking distance. Also at least 3 movie theatres, one live theatre, and the UCLA botanic garden is just across the street (we missed out on that since it was closed on President's Day). There is a shuttle to the medical center, but it's really an easy walk. Parking, as noted, is free, though can get crowded; be sure to note someof the spots are allocated to the neighboring church.

We had just one problem with housekeeping: one morning they wanted to clean our room at 9:30 a.m., and as we were both still getting ready, we asked them to return later. They never did. On other days, there were no problems at all.

Room Tip: Reserve in advance. Hotel seems to regularly sell out in advance.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple