“Movie Star Homes Tour: Good Way to See Homes, but Pricey”
Review of LA City Tours

$49.00*
Hollywood Celebrity and Stars' Homes Tour
Ranked #29 of 251 Tours in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Owner description: Join Los Angeles' most experienced and acclaimed tour guides as we take you on a sweeping, thrill packed tour of the Entertainment Capital of the World! Sample the rich history, diverse culture, sun-drenched beaches and pulsating movie tempos of Los Angeles. With a movie star on every corner, and surprises galore awaiting you, LA City Tours has packaged the most popular and requested sites throughout the vast experience known as the City of Angels.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
213 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 415 helpful votes
“Movie Star Homes Tour: Good Way to See Homes, but Pricey”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I normally wouldn't take a tour like this, but my family had the LA Go Card and it was included, so we decided to go on the tour. The bus was comfortable and air conditioned. Although the open-roof vans operated by other companies provide better views, I would have been burned to a crisp, so I'm glad we were in a bus. Our guide did a nice job of pointing out stars' homes and other places of interest (such as where part of "Pretty Woman" was filmed). Many times he'd say things such as, "We think this is where [so-and-so] lives, but we can't be sure." Not real helpful. He pulled over often to let us take photos and to allow cars to pass. I can imagine that people who live in the area get annoyed by all the gawkers.

The tour took us into the mountains. The view of the surrounding areas were great. We walked around at an overlook and were able to get good shots of the Hollywood sign in the distance. This particular area was crowded with tourists, tour vans, and buses. Our driver/guide was willing to take photos of those of on the tour, which I thought was nice.

The main annoyance was that there were signs prominently posted in the bus nearly coercing people to tip. If I recall accurately, they claimed that good service should be tipped at $5-$7 per person, great service at $10-$15 per person, and excellent service at $20 per person. That was over the top, so I refused to tip at all (which I would have normally done). Most people thanked the driver, but didn't tip. Foreigners probably get taken by this. My recommendation to the owners (and drivers): change the signs to something less offensive and you'll probably get more tips. I think the signs make people angry.

At $40+ for adults' tickets and $30+ for kids' tickets, this is an expensive two-hour excursion. It's in line, though, with what the other companies in Hollywood charge. One final word of advice: go to the bathroom before you depart. The tour office on Hollywood Boulevard has a single restroom, so use it because once you're on the tour there aren't opportunities.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank jsctraveler

Manteca, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“LA city tour”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Tours are in general my way of getting to knwo an area so that I can get a first impressions and ideas to visit later. The tour bus picked us up at our hotel to bus us to the main office , where they initially had us on the shorter and cheaper tour. had I not look at my sticker, I would have not known. Once on the tour, we were dropped off for the longest of breaks at Venice beach. A run down, dirty are of the LA coast with plenty of cheap beach stores. Why??? The tour proceeded to Santa Monica.....clean and beautiful, but no stop. Really??? Beautiful pier, nice views. Maybe City Tours has a contract with the skanky stree performers in Venice. Downtown LA has got to be hard to sell.....its dirty, its empty, it has absolutely no flair. No need to stop there. The Hollywood Homes promised are all hidden behind gates.....should have known. Celebrities??? They know to hide from the crazy tours....I am disappointed at spending 150 for my son and I... Have taken city tours elsewhere and thought with the limited resources used by the company they needed much improvement. Poor choice on my part. Should have read the reviews. Oh I totally forgot to mention the bathroom opportunities offered.....filthy beach toilets in Venice, where we got yelled at by a homeless person who I guess called one of the stalls his own. How gross!

Visited December 2012
4 Thank SybilleW
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Left stranded - NO SHUTTLE BUS BACK!”
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Our hotel booked for us to go to Disneyland for the day. Started the day with the pick up being late and the driver collecting the hotel wall as he negotiated his way out of the driveway. Next stop the dirty, disorganised headquarters of the tour company to pay up. $716 later we were on our way. Uneventful drive to Disney, if you ignored the feminist comments from our arrogant driver. Dropped in the back parking lot of the local McDonalds we were given our instructions for return pick up. Three groups, us included, had paid for the extended stay with a 10:30pm pick up. All others were scheduled to be picked up at 8pm. Off to enjoy the Disney magic for the day. Arrived at our designated pick up point at 10:15pm (the same McDonalds parking lot) and met up with another group waiting for the pick up. This is where the problems really began. NO SHUTTLE BUS. That's right NO SHUTTLE BUS. We were left stranded, six Aussies in a McDonalds parking lot at 10:30pm. We were all staying in Hollywood, an hour away. Frantic call to LA City tours headquarters was answered by a very unhelpful gentleman who said we had not listened to our instructions and there was no 10:30pm shuttle and it was our fault. He concluded the call with "Have a nice night". REALLY??? We managed to get a taxi to Hollywood ($105 later) but this should never have happened. Four different people associated with the tour had told us it was a 10:30pm pick up time yet the person in charge, Monique blamed everybody else, including her driver and front desk staff, but flatly refused to do anything. After a very heated, extended conversation we managed to get $60 which was our half of the taxi fare back to Hollywood. DO NOT BOOK WITH THIS COMPANY unless you are happy to be left stranded! Monique was not sympathetic or apologetic and people like her should not run tour companies. Our hotel front desk, the LA City tours front desk staff, another hotel front desk staff and our tour driver (John) all stated a 10:30pm pick up time yet Monique blamed us. Save money and catch a taxi to Disneyland! Or choose one of the millions of other companies to take you there if you want to get home again!

3 Thank Lee A
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very average”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Save yourselves and go elsewhere. If you are a family of four,you'll have to forego your window seat.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Rama121
East Brunswick
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Waaaay too long!”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We went on a two hour tour which was about 1 1/2 too long. In the old days all the stars lived in downtown Beverly Hills so you could see there houses one after another. Now everyone lives way out in the Hollywood Hills and you can't really see the houses. They are so far apart that it is too long between houses.

Visited July 2012