“Don't miss the donut!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Nickel Diner
Ranked #98 of 9,847 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Don't miss the donut!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Just got back from a four day tour of Los Angeles and stayed at the Millennium Biltmore on Grand. The Nickel Diner is within walking distance of the hotel - maybe a 15 minute walk. Four of us went there for lunch. (Disclosure - I would rather eat dessert than a meal any day!!) While I am a chocoholic, I wanted to try their donut with bacon and maple glaze, but it sounded kind of icky to me, so I was hesitant about getting one. We were on a walking tour that morning and when the tour guide heard we were headed to the Nickel Diner, she said not to miss the donut, so I ordered one with a cup of hot tea for lunch. Well, I am really glad I did! It tasted like you were eating pancakes with maple syrup and bacon. The donut dough is not the typical donut dough - kind of a cross between a French cruller and a donut - hard to describe but definitely worth the experience. One lady had a hamburger and said it was cooked the way she ordered it. The other two ladies ordered salads and thought they were good. The neighborhood is sketchy to say the least and I would never try to go their alone. It was very busy and it was after 1 p.m. on a Saturday when we were there.

• Visited September 2013

Thousand Oaks, California
“Nickel Diner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

i was looking for a place to eat breakfast downtown LA as i had to be down there for some business appointments and tried this based on the reviews i saw.
cool old time diner, good food, cool helpful waitress.

good place to bring anyone

• Visited August 2013
Jacksonville, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We went because my teenager had seen it on Diners, Drive Ins & Dives. The food was really good. Most of the dishes we got were spicier that expected but very tasty. Would definetly return.

• Visited August 2013
Monterey, California
“Food Great, Service Ify”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband & I were visiting LA, we went here because of its feature on Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives. The food was amazing, AMAZING! We had a chicken drumette app, that was mind blowing, when our entrees were delivered (not by our server but another one working that night) my entree was wrong, she took it back & made me what I ordered. Our original server never came back, never apologized, didn't do or say anything. Once I got my entree it was delicious, as was my husband's, then we waited to our server to bring the tray of desserts like we had seen at every other table that had come & gone in the time we were there, but it never happened. We just sat at our table, for something like 15 minutes after finishing both our entrees just waiting for a little attention, a bill, someone to ask if we wanted another beer or water, or ask if we wanted dessert (which we had already decided we wanted & wanted it togo.) Finally our served came back & asked it we were ready for our check, we told her we wanted to order some dessert & she almost seemed put out to get the tray & explain to us what they had to offer. We ordered dessert & took it back to the hotel, again it was good food wise, but the service really left us a bit disappointed.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AEreviews
“Delicous”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Our first morning in LA and we searched for the Nickel Diner. We were very happy with our breakfast. Service was great and food was delicious.