“Wow! a real old-fashioned diner right in the heart of LA”
Review of Nickel Diner

Nickel Diner
Ranked #116 of 10,030 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch
Neighborhood: Downtown
Vancouver, BC
“Wow! a real old-fashioned diner right in the heart of LA”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I travelled from Koreatown where I was staying to check this place out for breakfast at the Nickel diner after seeing it featured on Drive-ins, Dives and Diners with Guy Fieti.
The furnishings and lighting is really old and the architecture is true old LA and worth seeing. The place is always busy and they are known for their huge portions and definitely take this to heart cuz they are BIG!
I had the brioche cinnamon french toast with strawberries. Yummy!!!! as simple as that. It was so big I got 6 huge pieces of french toast and was only able to eat 2 so I boxed it up and there are unfortunately tons of homeless in LA so I had no problem giving it away.
Definitely excellent specials I loved it and highly recommend it.

Visited May 2013

“Authentic brunch”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Main street feeling. Great brunches with hangover specials. Kind of close to the rough neighbourhood but friendly diner feel

Visited January 2013
“Fantastic!!!”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I had the stuffed avocado salad with quinoa.....simply to die for!!! Great atmosphere, great service, great food. What more could you ask for?

• Visited May 2013
Manchester, UK
“Big portions”
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Good value, but was not impressed with quality. Service was much better than other places I visited in LA. A little from central Downtown.

Hamilton, Canada
“Great food, sketchy location”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I had to try this place and I am glad I did. Perfectly cooked catfish on Cornbread with a Brussels sprout hash was fantastic. The service was friendly and the speed and confidence at which a server got a homeless man out of the place was astonishing. This leads to the negatives though, it is in a dicey part of town. I wouldn't call it dangerous, just a tad unnerving. Also, the desert I had simply wasn't very good. It is possible that I simply missed the point but my home-made Ho-Ho had an odd taste to it.

Visited April 2013