“Distinctive and Fun”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Wow, what a sneaky winner. Featured on the Food Network, this place now has a following in a so-so part of town (not a serious issue). The service was truly excellent in a casual, fun, back-and-forth exchange throughout the night. The food was surprisingly good, the setting a genuine throwback to old-time diners--if not elegant--and the owner herself joined us to do more than the cursory "how are you," even suggesting a place to go in our future travels. It's not open between meals, so know the schedule, but make it a point to get here. Street and paid lot parking nearby. Thanks for noting if this review helped you.

3  Thank HepAdvisor

Reviewed May 29, 2012

This diner has fantastic food the atmosphere was chill. Get the homemade donughts. I had one of the pick 3 off the menu and it was delicious and the portion was almost a bit much, but no complaints. If you are looking for breakfast in downtown LA this place is a must.
On a side note the location of this place is sketchy but not let that deter you, the character of the neighborhood adds to the character of the diner!

Reviewed May 29, 2012

The Nickel Diner, in downtown Los Angeles, is one of my favorite breakfast spots in L.A. I love their veggie scramble, and I'm not even vegetarian. The eggs and bacon are served with a side of baked beans, an unusual choice, but it's delicious. And don't forget the doughnuts. They're famous for the maple bacon doughnut, and the Irish car bomb is the bomb. Shoot, I'm making myself hungry.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

We visited the Nickel Diner because we are fans of Food Network's Diners, Drive Ins & Dives. This diner did NOT disappoint! They were so accomodating considering we were a group of 11 in the relatively small space! The salmon was delicious and the desserts were worth waiting for! The dessert menu consists of each dessert displayed on a tray for your viewing and deciding pleasure. We chose the Salt Peanut cake and it was one of the best cakes EVER! Others in our party had the smores cake (which they flambe at your table!) and I had to take one of their homemade poptarts to go.

Everyone was so friendly and we even met some folks from the "Dexter" crew. All in all a fantastic time!!!

Thanks to everyone at the 5cent Diner!!!

Reviewed May 15, 2012

Quick and friendly staff and very clean and cozy inside. The menu had too much to choose from, but we settled with buttermilk pancakes and the spicy pulled pork hash. Delicious and cheap. They served a great cup of coffee and the most amazing strawberries I've ever had so I ordered TWO servings. Right down the street from where we were staying so it was easy to get to. Make sure to try a donut; Maple Glazed Bacon.