“Dirty,rundown,third world ghetto..”

Ports O' Call Village
Ranked #205 of 547 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Owner description: Shopping mall with a promenade overlooking the harbor.
orange county
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 148 helpful votes
“Dirty,rundown,third world ghetto..”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We just decided to visit Ports O' Call Village for lunch after touring the U.S.S Iowa. It's only a few blocks away from the ship and I thought it would be a great way to extend our day. How truely depressing, it reminded me of the scene in "Back To The Future" when Marty McFly discovers how his town has decayed with the passing of time. Years ago, this used to be an upscale, seaside plaza full of interesting shops and great restaurants. This no longer exists. It is now filthy and unmaintained and seems to be more of a "hangout" destination than for shopping or dining. Loud blaring music and crowds of screaming children, I would rather remember the village from years ago, than to have seen what time has done to what was once a nice place. Call me Marty McFly. I'll never return.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank ragsdad

Manchester
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Great Fish Resteraunts and USS OHIO”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Spent a nice afternoon in San Pedro.and Ports O'call Village. didn't know this place existed it's really nice. There are monuments dotted along the promenade a Maratime museum some great fish resteraunts and the latest attraction the Battleship USS OHIO. We spent about an hour on board.(there are lots of stairs to climb) We really enjoyed it my 17 year old said it was fab and cool so I guess it must be.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank ManchesterJeterfan
Long Beach, California
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Scary and crowded.”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This place has gone way downhill it 10 years. I saw an story on tv about the gangs here and how they are trying to make it safe. Do yourself a favor don't go until they get it right. It is crowed in the food area and shops have closed down. I stayed for 10 minutes and left with my grandchildren.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank doggiedaddie
Mismaloya, Mexico
92 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 158 helpful votes
“Really disappointing”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I think at one time, this area was really nice and fun. It's not kept up very well now and several stores are closed. It's not quite a ghost town yet. Shop keepers seem to be less than inviting and friendly. It struck me a sir they are sick of tourists, so they don't even say hello or can I help you.
Only two stores greeted me, one being the art gallery and the other was.....oh no, I can't remember the name of the store, and she was so kind and sweet!!! She has jewelry, metal signs, memorabilia of movie stars, recording artists, a variety of souvenirs and is located at the southern end of the shopping. She even gives a discount card to you when return on a future visit for certain items.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank terrynkathy
Murcia, Spain
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“A Big Hispanic Party - Loved it!”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We were staying at the nearby Doubletree, San Pedro and wanted somewhere to eat on that Saturday night.

We almost avoided the Ports O' Call (dreadful name) expecting some twee, artificial, sterlised tourist trap, but so glad we made the last-minute decision to turn into the large car park (take careful note of where you park!). We found a huge party going on with a, largely, Hispanic clientele having a great fiesta on their Saturday night out.

We live in Spain and felt really at home. Bands playing, women singing, hardly heard above the babble of people having REAL fun!

Collect your seafood from one of the many counters and then sit down at the big stainless steel-topped tables. Or, if of a quiet disposition, chose a table in on of the enclosed waiter-service restaurants.

Relax, let your hair down and enjoy yourself. It's this type of unexpected gem that makes a great vacation!

Visited May 2012