“Great experience”

Sunset Ranch Hollywood
More attraction details
Owner description: Tour LA on horseback: saddle up and ride over the ridge into Burbank, have a Mexican meal and ride back to the stables by moonlight.
Mke
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great experience”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

This was so much fun! We enjoyed seeing the hollywood sign from the horseback vantage point. This was a fun afternoon. We would do it again next time we're in L.A. We did have some trouble catching a cab back to our hotel though. Entrance is at the bottom of a big hill in deep into a residential area. I recommend car rental or know your bus stops if you're visiting here. Definitely worth the trip though!

Visited April 2012
5 Thank DepartingDuo

Tampa, FL
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“Incredible L.A. Experience”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

If you are looking for something unique to do while in the Los Angeles area, I highly suggest Sunset Ranch. They offer several horseback riding trips through the Hollywood Hills. The scenery is gorgeous and the staff is professional and courteous. The trails meander through Griffith Park, and offer close up views of the iconic Hollywood sign, Griffith Observatory and views of L.A. and Hollywood. You will see a different side of L.A. This is a not miss experience!

Visited April 2012
6 Thank GlobalTrekkers
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Fun Horseback Excursion”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

This was my first time horseback riding. I had an amazing time. The views were absolutely breath-taking. The horses are trained to ride close to the edge, it's not soo scary but you should be prepared for that. They discouraged me from doing the two hour tour first time, and I slightly regret it. Overall it was a great experience.

7 Thank WorldTraveler430
Boston, MA
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 351 helpful votes
“Inexpensive and fun! Highly recommended”
Reviewed January 14, 2012

We asked the concierge at our hotel to recommend the best place to get close to the Hollywood sign so we could take some pictures. He said we needed to go up N Beachwood Road to a parking lot near the Sunset Ranch and we could take some fairly close pictures to the sign. When we went up there, I decided to check out how much a horseback ride would cost. I was surprised that it was only $30 per person for an hour long ride.

We deicded to do an hour long ride because it was a beautiful day out and it was so inexpensive. (A drink at the Hotel Roosevelt is $15 ... for the cost of two drinks you can have an hour long ride) At first I was a little worried because the ride is up into the hills and along the way there were some pretty steep drops. Horses like to walk on the edge of the path, so for someone who hates heights, this might be a little disconcerning. However, I hate heights and it didn't bother me too much.

The ride lasted an hour and you go out with a guide who answers any questions about riding and makes sure your horses perform well. You have to wear a silly helmet, and there is no real way around this ... but for safety reasons it is probably because most riders are inexperienced.

Our guide was delightful and provided us with some information about the landscape and Hollywood itself. I felt I would have been happier putting on some headphones and an IPOD and enjoying the scenery but didn't want to be rude. She had some interesting stories about Hollywood and pointed out some nature type stuff. She also took some pictures of us with our cameras while riding.

The horses amble along at a snail's pace and are trained to follow the trail, so you really don't need to know anything other than kick the horse (it doesnt hurt them) to make them go, pull the reigns to make them stop, or pull the reign to the sides for direction. Although, you really don't even need to know all that much because the horses are pretty much trained to follow a path and kind of do their own thing.

A lot of reviewers comment that they were pretty heavily pushed to tip the guide, which is true. You will be pushed to do this ... but that is not the fault of the guide. We tipped pretty well but figure, you give a valet $5 to drive your car 100 yards ... why wouldn't you give a guide like this $10 or $15 each for leading you around for an hour or so. Don't expect to pay $30 flat for the ride ... you will need to tip. However, most times you will be taking a private ride for your group, not a large group of people you don't know.

It was a beautiful day on the day we went, around noon. And we didn't need to make a reservation. We pretty much walked right up and within 20 minutes we were on the trail. They take credit cards as well, which is convenient as I worried it was cash only ... and on the whim we decided to do it.

As for the Hollywood sign, it is true that you are still a ways away from it and it is sort of at an angle. I would have been dissapointed if we went only for the photo opportunity of the sign. I feel like it may be a bit misleading to call this a 'Hollywood Sign Horseback Ride'. However, the views of the canyons and the city are well worth it. You will be in some beautiful nature and get to see something not a lot of people do if you are in town for touring. The Hollywood walk of fame is so cheesy and surrounded by cheesy t-shirt stores and pan handlers, this is a much better way to get a unique experience.

I recommend this ... it was one of my favorite things during my trip to this area and in a town where everything is really expensive, this was inexpensive.

Visited January 2012
10 Thank LovinHotelLife
Los Angeles, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Beautiful views of the city, limited view of the Hollywood sign.”
Reviewed December 12, 2011

This is NOT really a ride TO the Hollywood sign. The best views of the actual sign are on your drive up to the park. On the ride, however, the views of the city are gorgeous. The gentleman on the phone was extremely nice and helpful. The only impolite person was the woman at the window who, granted, was busy, but she was clearly unfriendly with a sour-puss look on her face. There can be a wait for horses, especially as it gets later in the day and on weekends. Our guide was nice. She relayed almost nothing about the city, but assisted riders with their horses who sometimes wanted to stop and eat. She was very helpful, but was not a tour guide type person like some wrote about. The ride is fine for first time riders and the one hour ride does provide lots of views and the same very limited view of the sign as the two hour ride. So, if you want to have a nice ride that is more varied, for more intermediate riders and less in line, nose to tail, I'd suggest you consider Circle K horse rental in Burbank for a two hour ride. But for the one hour tourist beginner ride, the Sunset Ranch is a fine bet.

Visited December 2011