“Lovely surprise”

Ranked #25 of 577 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Explore art, history, and culture at the Autry Museum of the American West. Located in beautiful Griffith Park, the Autry presents a wide range of exhibitions and public programs-including lectures, film, theater, festivals, family events, and music-and performs scholarship, research, and educational outreach. The Autry's collection of more than 500,000 pieces of art and artifacts includes the Southwest Museum of the American Indian Collection, one of the largest and most significant collections of Native American materials in the United States.
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had lunch there near the beginning of our vacation and it certainly set the standard for the rest of our stay!

tborden, Public Relations Manager at Autry Museum of the American West, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Hi bestfriend51,
We're so glad you enjoyed your visit and your meal at our newly renovated Crossroads West Cafe. We've worked hard to update the menu and the look of the restaurant. We love it when our visitors like the changes!

There are newer reviews for Autry Museum of the American West

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Awesome place!

It's the museum of the West. I've lived in LA so long I'm sad to say I haven't been here yet. I love Native Americans and the differnt tribes so that was what I was most excited about upon my visit. The exhibits they had were mostly for the Hopi tribe..I was hoping to see exhibits about other tribes.

There's exhibits on the cowboys, the diffrent kinds of guns of the west, Native American stories, different horse saddles, etc.

Free parking! Try to find a BOGO deal online and bring your student ID for extra discount.

tborden, Public Relations Manager at Autry Museum of the American West, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Hi kisssme,
I'm glad you enjoyed our exhibition on Katsina in Hopi Life, which as you said, focuses on the Hopi culture. Stay tuned, however, because in March 2014 we are opening "Floral Journey: Native North American Beadwork," an exhibition that focuses on the ways Native Americans used floral imagery in beadwork as a major means of artistic expression and as a symbol of cultural resilience. The exhibition will feature more than 250 examples from several regions and cultures. We hope you will come back to see it!

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I loved the way everything was displayed and focused on the move of settlers from the East moving to the West and the reasons they chose to move there.There were quality educational programmes going on with hands-on activities for the children.Indian crafts and culture were a big part in the displays, as were the goldmining and ranching aspects of the settlement of the east part of USA.

tborden, Public Relations Manager at Autry Museum of the American West, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Hi lorraineChristchurch,
I'm so glad you enjoyed our downstairs galleries and the educational activities we have for kids. I hope you visit us again the next time you're in Los Angeles. We've always got something new happening!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Touring around Los Angeles we stumbled upon this by accident. And what a happy accident it was. The museum is one of the most interesting I have been to. The artwork was phenominal, the other exhibits extremely interesting. For anyone interested in the history of the American west then this is the place for you.

1  Thank SueyG2013
tborden, Public Relations Manager at Autry Museum of the American West, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Hi SueyG2013,
We love it when happy surprises happen, as when people discover us by accident. I am glad you enjoyed the visit, and if you're in LA again, we hope to see you--but this time, on purpose!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I'm really interested in the history of the West, so I was pretty excited about going to the Autry and it didn't disappoint. I paid just $6 since I had my students card with me.
Lots of gorgeous painting, my favorite being "On the Merced River" by Albert Bierstadt.
The part about cowboys in Hollywood movies was also very interesting, and I loved seeing all the authentic cowboy boots worn by the stars.

Hi PoisonedIvy,
I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit to the Autry. Sounds like you're a true fan, if you're interested in the history of the West. And it's great to see you took advantage of our student discount. If you liked the Bierstadt painting, you were in the Art of the West exhibition. It's one of our permanent shows, so we'll likely rotate pieces out occasionally to allow us to display more of the collection. I hope we see you again!