“A must see!”

Ranked #26 of 553 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Explore art, history, and culture at the Autry Museum of the American West. Located in beautiful Griffith Park, the Autry presents a wide range of exhibitions and public programs-including lectures, film, theater, festivals, family events, and music-and performs scholarship, research, and educational outreach. The Autry's collection of more than 500,000 pieces of art and artifacts includes the Southwest Museum of the American Indian Collection, one of the largest and most significant collections of Native American materials in the United States.
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I'm really interested in the history of the West, so I was pretty excited about going to the Autry and it didn't disappoint. I paid just $6 since I had my students card with me.
Lots of gorgeous painting, my favorite being "On the Merced River" by Albert Bierstadt.
The part about cowboys in Hollywood movies was also very interesting, and I loved seeing all the authentic cowboy boots worn by the stars.

tborden, Public Relations Manager at Autry Museum of the American West, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Hi PoisonedIvy,
I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit to the Autry. Sounds like you're a true fan, if you're interested in the history of the West. And it's great to see you took advantage of our student discount. If you liked the Bierstadt painting, you were in the Art of the West exhibition. It's one of our permanent shows, so we'll likely rotate pieces out occasionally to allow us to display more of the collection. I hope we see you again!

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"gift shop"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed August 18, 2013

The kids have lots of fun here and I enjoy it too. They enjoy seeing themselves in a cowboy video clip and learning how to play with the toys the Native Americans used to play with.

1  Thank TTITL
tborden, Public Relations Manager at Autry Museum of the American West, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Hello,
You must have visited during our American Indian Family Culture Day. And our green screen feature was recently refurbished to provide a more "true to life" experience. I'm glad to see you all enjoyed it!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

It was very interesting and they always add something extra that is really different. We went one year when it was supposed to be an Indian Cultural even, but it was just a bunch of booths where they were selling jewelry and paintings. The museum itself is quite interesting. We have been 3 times.

tborden, Public Relations Manager at Autry Museum of the American West, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Roseanna,

I'm glad you found the Autry a diverse and enriching experience, and we always love to see return visitors. You've been with us three times!
Have you had a chance to see Art of the West, our newest permanent gallery that features both historic and contemporary Western art from a variety of cultural perspectives? Please let us know what you think of it. We're always striving to show how different all the different peoples of the West interact and inspire each other. Art of the West is our latest effort in that direction.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We visited for the special Hopi katsina exhibit, full of not only the sacred carvings but paintings, videos, interactive exhibits, and so much good information, I had to walk through a second time. While there are some Native exhibits, it is a museum of the west, so plenty of guns and cowboys to go around. I do appreciate a museum where you can visit the café and gift shop without having to pay admission. Yum, chicken adobo fry bread! The guy at the counter reminded us that there are in and out privileges for the museum. What a huge and wonderful place! Free parking doesn't hurt either.

1  Thank kcdenman

Hi kcdenman,
Sounds like you really enjoyed your visit to the Autry, including the Katsina exhibition, which is with us until December. And yes, we are a museum of the West, so there's lots about cowboys. But we have plenty of other exhibits about the other peoples of the West. Right now, we have one called Jews in the Los Angeles Mosaic. I hope you have a chance to visit again soon!