“Great visit”

Ranked #26 of 593 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Explore art, history, and culture at the Autry Museum of the American West. Located in beautiful Griffith Park, the Autry presents a wide range of exhibitions and public programs-including lectures, film, theater, festivals, family events, and music-and performs scholarship, research, and educational outreach. The Autry's collection of more than 500,000 pieces of art and artifacts includes the Southwest Museum of the American Indian Collection, one of the largest and most significant collections of Native American materials in the United States.
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Had been to the old museum some years ago and wanted to see what had changed. The museum is easy to get to, we were driving but could see that it was serviced by public transport. The LA zoo is directly opposite and the place was busy. The museum has art galleries as you go in and if you like modern western artists , then you can see some excellent work on display. The exhibitions are very good and we quickly ran out of time only managing to see about half before it loses at 4.00, thought that we could get through in about 2hrs, you should allow 3-4. There are discounts for seniors, students and teachers, have proof in the form of an ID. Will be going back to see the rest and have a look at the zoo next time.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

A very worthwhile visit. Nice location across the road from Griffith Park and near the zoo. Great collection of western and movie stuff.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I happened to hop of the bus and check this place out on a Tuesday afternoon. I think I was the only person in the museum! So Tuesdays are the days to go! Interesting collection..everything from Wyatt Earp's pistol to Michael Jackson's sequin glove to Native American artifacts.

1  Thank Veela55
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I took my 4/5 class last year and am going again with my 4th graders. Fascinating look at CA history with something for all ages to enjoy.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

My Dad and I decided to check out this museum because we have a little bit of time available after we finished touring the Travel Museum. One hour was enough time for us to decide that we would like to go back for a lengthier visit.