“Amazing venue for musical theatre!”
Review of Pantages Theatre

and up
Hollywood Boulevard Walking Tour
Ranked #17 of 576 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Owner description: Opened in 1930 by a vaudeville magnate, the interior of this famous theater is one of the most stunning examples of high ornate Art Deco architecture in Los Angeles.
Reviewed February 5, 2014

My companion and I went to see The Book of Mormon at this venue. It was a great show, but the venue was amazing! It reminded me much of the Fabulous Fox in St. Louis.

I heartily recommend this venue for theatre.

There are newer reviews for Pantages Theatre

Reviewed January 29, 2014

The theater is gorgeous...paying $30 to park behind the theater! Ouch! The guy said he gave us a ten dollar discount from the $40 price. I had so been looking forward to this production and there were parts where I laughed along with everyone else and I know it is a spoof of the Mormon Church and cults and brain washing and we laughed, too, but some parts were so uncomfortable to watch and offensive. I get it, "It's a metaphor and a state of mind" like one of the characters say but singing a song where over and over the lyrics are "F--- Y-- God" and you are listening to people laugh at this it is just not my sense of humor. My husband and I are theater buffs and have seen a hundred or more musicals and many we go to over and over like, "Wicked". This one we will pass on seeing again. The actors did a really good job and the leads were brilliant. We are definitely not prudes but this was not for us. We are glad we spent money for tickets for the touring group instead of going to see in New York. I really wanted to like this.

The theater itself is amazing and we have seen other plays here. The acoustics are so good that even when the actors speak very quietly it is still very easy to understand.

1  Thank anniedutch13
Reviewed January 23, 2014

This theater is beautiful 1930's architecture. I was in awe looking at the chandelier & the whole ambience of this old theater. We went to "The Book of Mormon" & it was great. The acoustics are really good & it doesn't matter where you sit, the view of the stage is good. Would definitely recommend this as a must see/attend when you are in Hollywood.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

As a child, my hands-down favorite place to see movies was the Pantages (and yes, they once showed movies there.) It was a fabulous, ornate movie palace with a circular snack bar in the center of the lobby, two majestic stairways leading upstairs to the balcony and an enormous screen. There was something reassuring about the sound of feet padding up a carpeted stairway, and a feeling of importance at any screening in this location.

I was sad when they stopped showing films there and didn't really have occasion to see any stage productions at the Pantages until the eighties, when I landed a goldmine and purchased tickets for my favorite musical (Camelot) with my favorite King Arthur (Richard Harris-- sorry, Burton fans.) Our seats weren't fantastic, nor were they bad either. I was able to view all the nuances of expression on the actors' faces and the dialogue came through crystal clear. So impressed was I that I went back for closing night (at the end of which Richard Burton was welcomed on stage, took his bows and then announced "Now, let me show you how it really should be done!") That night, I was nearly in the back of the theatre, and enjoyed the play just the same.

Since that night, I've been to many, many performances at the Pantages, and I've yet to score a bad seat. I haven't had issues with columns blocking my view (I don't believe there ARE columns...) nor were acoustics ever an issue when my hearing was still intact. These days, I rely upon one of their free listening devices and I get along fine. The one problem with the device, I've found, is that it needs to be aimed at the stage, and I've had some instances in which the person in front of was frequently changing position and flipping her long tresses every which way, both of which caused the sound to go temporarily staticky. The listening aids aren't quite as good as the ones at the Ahmanson, but they're good enough.

For my own part, I really like the theatre-going experience at the Pantages. To me, it's an opportunity to embark upon a trip backward in time and appreciate the grandeur of Old Hollywood in its heyday. Close your eyes a little and you can easily envision this theatre hosting premieres; searchlights lighting up the entrances; limos parked out in front; ladies in elegant gowns; men in tuxedos... and then someone crosses your path in shorts and sandals and ruins the daydream.

Parking isn't necessarily ideal with the largest lot located on Argyle, one block southeast of the theatre. Only once did we find this lot full, which required us to park an additional block to the south. For those with mobility issues, this can be a bit of a haul, so it's best to obtain specifics from the box office or the theatre web site when you purchase tickets. Though I don't believe there's really a bad seat in the house, please be aware that handicap seating is only on the orchestra level and tends to be at the extreme end of a specified rows. While this may not be an issue for some, it may be that proper viewing will require a sharp turn of the head to view the stage. My sister, as it happens, lacks the ability to turn her head to the extreme, so for her the Pantages is a poor fit-- but if that doesn't happen to be your issue, go for it.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Theatre was beautiful, show was amazing, highly recommended.

There was lots of parking around which we hadn't expected so had prepaid for parking $12 and the same car park they booked us in to was only $10 to turn up and park at!

1  Thank Ju35_12