“Hidden Gem of LA!!!!”

and up
Hollywood Explorer Pass
Ranked #44 of 580 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Owner description: The Hollywood Museum, the official museum of Hollywood located in the Historic Max Factor Building, spotlights the Legends of Hollywood with the most extensive collection of authentic Hollywood memorabilia in the World. The museum features four floors of breathtaking exhibits and is the home of more than 10,000 authentic Showbiz Treasures, one-of-a-kind costumes, props, photographs, scripts and vintage collectibles from favorite movies and TV shows. The Hollywood Museum is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
Reviewed February 19, 2014

We live locally but never knew about this place until we bought a Groupon for it. What a pleasant surprise! We spent 2 hours there and loved it. Loved the Redhead room where Lucille Ball got her red hair! Lots of memorabilia, photos, props, costumes, cars. Lovely building, too.

1  Thank Marcia L

Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

I found this museum very interesting, but the best bet was by far Hannibal Lector's cell from the silence of the lambs.

There are lots of props (the holy grail from Indiana jones) and costumes.

I don't think you need to be a massive movie buff to enjoy this museum.

We got reduced entry through our hop on hop off bus tickets and I'm very glad we took the time to visit.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

The whole idea of the Hollywood Museum is good, in that they're trying to showcase many treasures from the movies. They've achieved this for some old classics, but there was a real lack of anything new or relevant to younger people. I'm currently 30, and at least 2/3 of the museum was showcasing movies that I hadn't even heard of. It was interesting to see the movies that I was knowledgeable of, but when you're considering the cost to see this small portion of the museum, its a bit hard to recommend. However, its probably worth it if you're 40+ years old, or if you like classic black and white movies.

1  Thank wattostudios
Reviewed January 13, 2014

we paid a return visit ... we were the first ever visitors on opening day many years ago ... and were interested to see the changes , compared to other similar places this is a bargain $15 entrance and remember I think its self funding ... jam-packed full of nostalgia and Hollywood movie and tv history . we had to use the stairs as the lift was not in use which may have been an issue for some we were fine

some ideas we had were a small coffee area to take a quick break would be nice as so much to see and may bring in extra revenue .. also maybe offer a guided tour at weekends ?

Reviewed January 10, 2014

I went to the museum after reading good reviews and I loved it. It is based in the original head quarters of Max Factor and the ground floor is dedicated to him and the firm he began. I learned a lot of interesting stuff about him, he was an innovator and experimenter which made him a success in his native Russia and later in USA. The 'dungeon' is set out like the Silence of the Lambs prison scene and is pretty spooky. The upper floors have lots of memorabilia from TV and films. It is well curated and there is plenty of information so you know what you're looking at. I used the bathroom only because so many stars had been there before and it still has the original fittings. We spent so long there we needed coffee, there is no cafe but we got our handsm stamped and went next door to Mel's Diner which is amazing. Recommended