New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles

The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles
Ranked #34 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Avondale, Pennsylvania
“Come On, It's The Ritz!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

A WiFi signal that was strong enough to use, Towels that are soft and absorbent, every amenity you could think of, very clean, and best of all, every employee called me by my name. A separate shower and bathtub, a full size bar of soap for the shower, a safe that opens up from the top so you don't need a flashlight to see if you've emptied it, bathroom nightlight, a lighted makeup mirror and some makeup remover (what every man needs!) etc.., etc.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Polish first
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

We had a fantastic stay at this Ritz and the only downside is we only had one night there as I was traveling with my husband for business and we had to be in a different part of LA the next day. The hotel looks quite new and the standard king room felt spacious me had an amazing bathroom with a separate shower stall, bathtub and frosted door to the toilet. The bed was very comfortable and the room was immaculate. The service was also outstanding from the initial check-in/greeting to getting directions and checking out. While the area is a little far from Beverly Hills/Santa Monica and some of the other more popular areas, I'd stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Check in is at 4:00. We arrived at noon. As mentioned in some of my other reviews this is always a huge plus for me.

The front desk, concierge, and service are all excellent. The rooftop pool is perfect.

On two separate occasions I called valet 20 minutes ahead of time for them to pull the car out of the garage. Both times the car was not ready and had to wait about ten minutes each time. For $40 a night I should be able to get my own car within 20 minutes. I don't mind paying the money, I mind the waiting. I understand this is downtown. I would rather pay the same rate and self park to have easy access to my own vehicle, but that is not an option.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank brianchang0510
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We have stayed at many Ritz Carlton properties, and this was definitely among the nicest. We were in town for the Emmys and it was really nice to be so close to all of the action! The location of the hotel is great if you're attending an event downtown or would like to be near LA Live. Beyond that though, downtown isn't really my preference when in LA.
We did check out the rooftop pool, which was very nice. There isn't much of a lobby (unlike most Ritz Carltons), but come to find out, the JW Marriott's lobby can be accessed via a short hallway. We didn't figure that out until after we had checked out... wish we would have known!
The room was fantastic. We had booked a Club level room for 4 and the room was quite spacious. There is a nice couch too and our view of the city and the Hollywood sign was very neat. There are several mirrors in the room, which definitely came in handy for 3 women prepping for a night out! The shower and tub are separate, but within the same enclosure. And there was a television in the mirror, which was pretty cool. The Club was very nice and spacious with many nice touches, including a special chocolate display featuring the Emmys.
Most of the staff were very helpful and accommodating throughout the hotel. We did have a slight hiccup upon check-in that I must mention. We booked a Club level room for 4 a couple of months in advance and were all set to arrive when a few days before check-in, we received an e-mail from the concierge stating that the Club access was based on double occupancy. This wasn't mentioned anywhere in the booking process or in the confirmation e-mails received. Upon arrival, we explained this and the concierge eventually made an "exception", after at least 10 minutes of arguing. This policy should be stated clearly when booking the hotel. I have booked many hotels and I always read the fine print. It was the only blip in our stay, but did mar the first few minutes in the hotel.
On our first evening, the concierge sent a note and a cute Emmys cookie to the room, which was a nice touch.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jenny433
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

Went to the spa while staying at the JW Marriott (attached) on business. The spa was beautiful, clean and relaxing. Massage was perfect! Spa provided robes, slippers, water, wine, two relaxation areas, and steam room.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Debbie898
vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We recently stayed at the Ritz Carlton and were very impressed with both the service and the hotel. Our room was on the Club Lounge floor and we were very impressed and pleased with the Lounge. The food selections were excellent as was the service. We were there on 2 occasions and both stays were great. We would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Splurge for the Club Lounge.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Orange, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

The Ritz Carlton Los Angeles is attached to the JW Marriott, and is located in the LA Live complex.

The lobby of the Ritz Carlton is very small, and feels somewhat claustrophobic. High ceilings definitely helped.

There were two front desk agents who were each helping customers when I arrived at the hotel. One was very apologetic for the wait, while appreciated the first time became kind of redundant after the fourth or fifth time.

When I arrived at the front desk, I was greeted warmly. I was asked to confirm my bed preference and rate. I was then told that my room might not be ready yet, even though I arrived at the hotel after the official check-in time. It was acknowledged that I had booked a package that included valet parking, a $50 credit and what was supposed to be a choice of two of the following three: 2 movie tickets, 2 tickets to the Grammy Museum or some type of discount at Lucky Strike bowling alley. The front desk agent only offered me the movie tickets or the Grammy Museum tickets. When I inquired about the package that I had booked he ignored me.

He then took off towards the back, in what I thought was to get the movie tickets. I thought it somewhat odd that they would have the movie tickets in the back rather than the front desk. He came back with an envelope and presented it to me. I didn’t bother to open it at that time as I figured the movie tickets were in there.

Things certainly weren’t getting off to a good start to make this a good stay.

I was upgraded to an Executive King Room, which measures approximately 550 square feet, on the 24th floor. Wolfgang Puck’s WP24 is also located on this floor.

Upon entering the room, there is a large entryway with a sideboard to place your keys, wallet, purse, etc. There was a welcome amenity of cookies, chocolates and two bottles of water, but at looking at the name on the card, it wasn’t mine.

Things seemed to be going from bad to worse.

I called down to the front desk to let them know about the error. I was given an apology and told that things would be cleared up shortly. An employee came several minutes later to take away the mistaken amenity.

About 30 minutes later, another employee arrived to give me an amenity with a hand written note addressed to me.

After the short hallway, the rest of the room is located to the left. The bathroom is to the immediate right and is fairly spacious. There is an enclosed tub and shower area.

There are two double sinks, which unfortunately does not do a good job of keeping water contained since the faucets are located about 1 ½ feet over the sink. The usual Asprey Purple Water bath amenities are strewn throughout the bathroom. There is a magnifying mirror, plus a TV inside of the main mirror. The toilet is in its own little enclosure.

Upon exiting the bathroom, the rest of the room is to the right. There is a small enclave within the side wall in which I suppose one could place their suitcase, however the area doesn’t seem that sturdy.

The dresser and TV stand is rather long and takes up half of the wall. There is a Nespresso coffee maker in the room, with two small complimentary bottles of water to make coffee.

The desk is almost ridiculously small, and being able to do much work there would be a chore considering the lack of desk space.

There is a sofa by one of the two windows in the room. Unfortunately the view from one of the windows was the 110 freeway, while the view from the other window was of the JW Marriott marquee.

The king bed is somewhat soft but very comfortable. The linens are high quality, which is what you would expect from the Ritz Carlton.

Upon opening the envelope I was presented at check-in, it was a form letter from the General Manager welcoming me to the property. Sadly, there were no movie tickets in the envelope which meant that I had to make a stop by the front desk on my way to dinner.

Breakfast at The Market by Kerry Simon was another adventure. We were seated but weren’t given any menus. After waiting for almost 10 minutes we were finally able to flag down a server. We told her that we hadn’t received any menus, and nobody had come by. She apologized profusely and promptly got our drinks. Service from that point on was great, and she even comped one of the meals.

This stay at the Ritz Carlton was less than stellar with many service blunders. I received an email from one of the managers to inquire about my stay the following day. I outlined the many service mishaps that happened during my stay. She apologized profusely and indicated that each department would be addressed so that service areas in the future could be avoided. She also offered an invitation for a return one night stay, which I thought went above and beyond the call of duty.

I am hopeful that things will improve during my next stay at the Ritz Carlton Los Angeles.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple