“Worth every penny.”

The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles
Ranked #13 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Its the Ritz Carlton. The name says it all. The Los Angeles Ritz Carlton is one my favorites as it has the most modern amenities. The food is great, the service unbelievable, and nights sleep tranquil.

Room Tip: The higher floors are quieter. If possible, Id recommend that you get access to the concierge's...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Don D

Reviewed May 2, 2013

My wife and I decided to do an overnight anniversary downtown planning to be out on the town and decided to splurge and use our points to stay at the Ritz Carlton over the JW or a few other downtown properties for which I had points.

The rate we were seeing for the room for that night had we paid was $399. I am not sure if we could have secured a better rate, but that rate seemed like a reasonable exchange for the points it cost.

Overall the level of service met my expectations. The staff were prompt and courteous. We were left a "gift" of chocolate dipped strawberries acknowledging our occasion as well. Once disappointment was that we requested an LA Times on Sunday morning and it wasn't there for us. It took 30 minutes to get it after we called.

The facility is relatively new and as such is still looking really good. It is critical to note that there is essentially NO LOBBY AREA. There are 2 reception stations, 2 chairs and an elevator to the 22nd floor (rooms are on 22-26). To get to the guest floors, the pool and WP 24 (the Wolfgang Puck in house restaurant) you must take an elevator to 22 and then transfer to another elevator that runs between the RC floors (in addition to the RC hotel, there are RC residences and JW Marriott rooms). I found this to somewhat diminish the overall property ambience and the elevator transfer is slightly inconvenient.

When we arrived at our room, the décor and furnishings were met (but did not exceed) my expectations. The view from our room was good. However, there were a number of things I found disappointing about the room. First, the bed comfort was not what I would have expected (relative to some of the special bed offerings of competing chains) and second was the bathroom design. First, the room with the toilet had a glass door that only went 3/4 of the way to the ceiling. This did not cause any problems for us. However, I would have preferred a fully enclosed toilet and a wooden door. Second, the shower area and tub were combined together in a glass enclosure. To reach the tub you must first walk across the shower. I found this to be a very poor design! There was an area with wood flooring between entry area (carpeted) and the rest of the room. Both my wife and I slipped on it several times in socks and barefooted. I am sure that the reason it is there is more style/design than function. However, I would have preferred it to be carpeted. Lastly, I was disappointed to be charged $13.00 for internet access.

We did make our way to the pool and it again met my expectations. It is reasonably sized for a rooftop pool. However the space is somewhat compartmentalized and it could feel much bigger and open (again, I believe this was intentional for style/design purposes).

We also dined at WP24. This was not my first experience there. But it was my first as a hotel guest. Overall a satisfactory experience. Although we expected that as guests of the hotel we would have received some level of preferential treatment and we didn't.

Overall, I think RC LA Live is a very nice property. However, I was hoping to be wowed! I wouldn't spend my own money or points to stay again. I believe there is more value at the JW Marriott (with the lone exception of privacy/exclusivity, which isn't particularly important to me). We could have gotten a room at the JW for significantly fewer points. And the rate available to me for past stays has been around $170.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any bad rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Russel B
Reviewed April 26, 2013

This was our first visit to the Ritz in L.A. We found the view of the city from our room to be phenomenal! All the staff were wonderful, from the person who checked us in to the bellman to the valet staff. We would definitely return when in L.A. again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robert W
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is a great hotel, it should be a 5 star hotel, but the sinks in the bathroom are so poorly designed I have to give this hotel only 3 stars. The rooms were a nice size, with a big shower and a deep soaking tub. The bed was very comfortable. The hotel has a decent sized fitness center and a pool which were never crowded. The club lounge was a very nice amenity with access to food and drinks in the lounge all day long. The staff in the lounge were really outstanding, very accommodating and very friendly. But those bathroom sinks are just ridiculous. The faucet is too high and the basin is too shallow. The way they are designed makes it impossible to wash your hands without splashing water all over yourself, the counter, the floor and the mirror. They do look beautiful but obviously some "designer" in an office somewhere picked them out based on how they look and never actually used it to see how it functions. I know the hotel is new, but they really have to remodel those bathrooms and put in sinks you can actually use if they want to get 5 stars.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank pjo-nyc
Reviewed April 8, 2013

OK, I’m posting this review onto both hotels because the stay was so intertwined.

Here’s why: I had booked into the JWMarriott for one night. They were overbooked, and walked me to the Ritz Carlton. So, I had a Ritz Carlton room, but was given access to the JW Concierge Lounge (NOT the Ritz Club Lounge) and ate dinner at the JWM. The hotels are in the same building, and linked by a circuitous hallway on the lobby and second floors.

So:

JWMarriott Front Desk/Ritz Carlton Front Desk
I was greeted with smiles and helpful staff. The young lady punched at her computer, made a call, and then asked me to follow her. (Note: no explanation given at this point…) We went through a series of hallways, and were in the Ritz’ very small lobby. She handed me over to the Front Desk Agent there, and excused herself.

The FD agent at the Ritz proceeded to check me in. I asked her what had happened, and she explained that the JWM was overbooked, so they were ‘upgrading’ me to the Ritz.

Note to Front Desk Manager at JWM: be sure you tell your guests exactly what you are doing with them… this was not done here. If you’re overbooked, just say so… I’m a big boy, I can handle the bad news. Plus, telling me you’re walking me to a Ritz is not exactly a bad thing… try this: “Mr Gardiner, I’m afraid we’re overcommitted this evening, but the good news is that we’ll be moving you to a room at the Ritz Carlton!”

Ritz-Carlton Room
I was given a King bed room on the 25th floor (which requires a change of elevators on 22).

The room was gracious in size… there is a large bathroom, with a large glassed in toilet, and an even larger glassed in soaking tub and shower. I laughed at the shower… a prior post had mentioned that you had to deal with the cold water just to turn the shower on… they were absolutely right! Two sinks. (frankly, I’m not familiar with Ritz amenities, but Mrs. Gardiner liked the stuff I brought home.)

The bedroom area was large, with a long built-in sofa against the window wall, and floor to ceiling windows. Nice King bed, which was very, very sleepable.

There was a smallish desk, in a safari style… but with NO electricity anywhere nearby. How do you have a hotel that’s less than two years old so badly designed for working in your room? My laptop cord had to hang mid-air from a hidden point by the window back to the safari table. My cell phones had to make use of the coffee pot plug for charging.

Truly, I crawled on my hands and knees looking for convenient plugs, and they just weren’t there. If you travel for business and need electricity to recharge various devices, I can’t recommend the Ritz for simplicity.

If Mrs. Gardiner were to be here with hair dryer, curling iron, and curlers, this would be a complete fail.

The other fittings at the Ritz were nice. Even the phones in the elevator lobbies were Bang &Olufsen… great attention to detail on that front.

JWMarriott Concierge Lounge Access
I’m a Marriott Platinum level (that’s 75+ nights/year), so I get Concierge Lounge access at Marriott’s which have lounges. Nice perk, and I don’t usually complain.

So, I asked at the Ritz Front Desk about my Concierge Lounge access. Apparently, since I was walked from the JWM, I had to go their Concierge Lounge, NOT the Ritz Lounge. To be very clear, this meant taking an elevator from the 25th floor to the 22nd floor, changing elevators, then another elevator from 22 to 2. Then, a walk around the corner to the Marriott’s elevators, then up to the 4th floor over there. That’s annoying.

Then, I asked at the Ritz desk about my Platinum amenity, and was told that the “upgrade” to the Ritz was considered my amenity.

Frankly, no. It’s not. I didn’t book or ask for the Ritz. I was there because the JWM screwed up and overbooked.

I told the young lady so, and explained that I bring my Platinum wine splits home for Mrs. Gardiner. She stepped away and brought back a small Ritz bag with a water bottle. Nice, but my presence in your hotel was because of a screw-up at the JWM. I’d have rather been at the JWM and had my amenity than the Ritz “upgrade”.

(Note: This is where you call me a spoiled hotel brat… and you could be right. “Chauncey,” you say, “you got “walked” from a JW to a Ritz? And you’re unhappy???” When you’re clocking 125+ hotel nights a year, the little things become magnified, become important… they become issues. Knock out 125 nights away from your family and let me know how that works out.)

JWMarriott Concierge Lounge
I headed over here around 5:30p, and they were still setting up for the evening. I was impressed by the wine selections. They had 5 different white wines, plus a Moet & Chandon sparkler… The wines were fully high end: Sonoma Cutrer R3 , Villa Maria Reserve NZ Sauv Blanc, etc. The reds were of equal stature… Very impressive selections. Other Marriotts and Delta SkyClubs could learn something here!

The lounge, when I was here, had a choice of grilled chicken skewers with a teriyaki glaze, or vegetable quesadilla rollups. Foods and sauces were replenished regularly.

In the morning, they had a very nice hot breakfast available, and served Illy coffee. Excellent!

LA Market Restaurant
I had dinner at LA Market in the JWM lobby, and was delighted to find a flatiron steak on the menu. It was blinking outstanding, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Although not on the menu, I asked if they had mushrooms, and the answer was a crisp “no problem, sir”

The food menu was in print, and the wine menu was on an iPad, with very user friendly tabs for choosing wines. Excellent use of tech. Why, though, wasn’t the whole menu (food and wine) on the iPad?

I have to call out Chef Linton, who came by to chat with me after I asked about the flatiron steak. We had a nice chat about the cut, and how they get such a thick piece of flatiron. He was knowledgeable and friendly, and was a great example of why I like Marriotts.

Overall
So, how do I rate this dual property visit?
>Marriott Check-in – 3 stars only for not being frank with me.
>Ritz Check in – 3 stars for not having access to the Ritz Club lounge and making me walk all over the place and take 3 different elevators for a cup of coffee. AND for telling me that my being “walked” was an upgrade and I’d get no Platinum amenity.
>Ritz Room – 4 stars… would have been five if you’d had electricity near the desk!
>Marriott Concierge Lounge – 5 stars… Nicely kitted out, great wines.
>LA Market Restaurant – 5 stars… LOVE IT when a food-passionate chef comes out to discuss your meal. Excellent!

Regrettably, here’s Marriott’s West Coast flagship property, and I’m giving them four stars. Your hardware was excellent, as I’d expect. How I was handled on this visit was what I’d expect from a Courtyard. Relook your practices around “walking” guests, and you’ll have 5 stars on my next stay.

Note: As always, I never post negative comments about a property without speaking with a Manager on Duty. I did do that before I checked out, and explained all of the above to him. He apologized, and agreed that the massive trek to the JWM Lounge was odd, and promised to look into that.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Chauncey_Gardiner
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This place is really great -- the staff are what really make the difference. Even before you check in they do whatever they can to make your stay perfect. The hotel itself is located at the LA Live complex which is a really nice area downtown. Plenty of things within walking distance such as the Staples Center, Nokia Theater and the Convention Center. There is no shortage of restaurants in the area either, and a Starbucks right outside of the hotel. The rooms are beautiful and well appointed, and the pool area is one of the nicest I've ever seen. The rooms below are part of the JW Marriott hotel that has a lot of shared amenities you can use if you're staying at the Ritz, and the rooms above the hotel are Ritz-Carlton residences which are, from looking into them from the pool, extremely nice. This is a great option for downtown LA.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Broctoon
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My Christmas present was tickets to a Lakers game and a night at the Ritz Carlton overlooking the Staples Center. The hotel was fabulous: a great corner room in the sky, with a suite feeling, and a television in the bathroom mirror!. Staff was helpful in the extreme, and the rooftop pool happily exposing us to the winter sun. The location is one of its best features, debouching into the L.A. Live entertainment center, always pulsing with events, good food and happy folks. Pricey, but perfect for a special night.

Room Tip: Go for the corner rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#2 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles? Share your experiences!