“So Good”

The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles
Ranked #13 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The stuff is very professional and everyone is very friendly, My husband and I spent a weekend here in July 2012. We loved this hotel and recommend it wholeheartedly.

The hotel overall was very nice. The room was beautiful and quiet. The pool was also very nice.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Me and my husband stayed here for 1 week and the whole experience was unforgettable. Our small daugther was treated like a princess. Reception staff was very helpful and provided a room with a beautiful ocean view. Recreation staff was also very attentive by driving us to the beach. Outside bar has a breathtaking view and we just enjoyed to have a drink and watch the sunset there. Only thing which we didnt like was the breakfast menu. Very "advanced" in my opinion, with heavy sauces and fried items. Just to get a plain omelet and simple croissant was mission impossible both for waiter and chef. But the restaurant windows are facing the ocean and we could watch whales every morning during the breakfast. It compensated all negative points.
In general this is the perfect hotel specially for people like us who came as tourists and just want to get the best from the holiday!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed at the ritz in downtown LA for two nights. The rooms were modern and beautiful, with wonderfully appointed bathrooms. Amazing dining experience and wonderful service. This is the only hotel we stay at when in downtown L.A. for comfort, good food.

Only reason I have a problem with the place is the price. Honestly I have stayed at just as nice and same quality of customer service for half the price.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alex Q
Reviewed August 10, 2012

one of the best hotels i've ever been into...so much to learn from there excellent rooms well arranged and neat took my breath away..its an excellent hotel ovarol for couples,family,friends and even on a business trip.

Room Tip: rooms on the south side are quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Stay here with my family for 3 days 7/1-7/4 1st time in L.A great location for 1st time visit the lobby is very small shocking because I expected it to be bigger, staff was outstanding and very polite my son enjoyed the espn sports zone and restaurant nearby, close to many restaurants pricey but expected. The hotel offers a town car for use within a 5 mile radius. We wanted to explore the city so we used the redline bus which is half block away takes you around the city. The hotel has a nice pool but not located in the ritz but connected to jw Marriott which you have excess to. We didn't eat in the puck restaurant because my didnt like the food but we ordered from the house menu fantastic food. The rooms were nice and clean with a wonderful view of the Hollywood sign.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank smarttraveler4fun
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Even though I live in Los Angeles, I stay at LA hotels all the time, because we have some amazing hotels here. I stay at the downtown Ritz whenever I'm going to a downtown event (Laker game at Staples Center, American Music Awards, Nokia theater event, etc). First off, it's a new hotel, which is always a good thing. It's located in downtown LA, at LA Live which is full of fun restaurants, bars, and event venues. The Ritz is attached to the JW Marriott, but it has it's own entrance. The front desk staff are always professional and friendly. The lobby is very small, but the decor is nice. I've stayed in a few room types (the standard deluxe, the corner room executive king, and an amazing executive suite). The room decor is modern, and it's very well done. The bathrooms are fantastic (rainfall shower heads, tv recessed in the mirror). The club level on the 23rd floor has great views. If you have never done the Ritz Carlton club level option, do it here. The lounge is large and comfy oasis. A concierge is available for whatever you need, and servers provide cocktails, wine and great food items. It's ideal for a late night drink and dessert. The hotel is very easy walking distance to Staples Center (Lakers, Clippers and Kings play here), Nokia Theatre (lots of concerts) and fun restaurants like Katsuya sushi & Flemings steakhouse. Wolfgang Puck has a restaurant on the 24th floor (WP24) which is asian influenced. His bar lounge is definitely worth checking out.

Room Tip: High floor, view of staples center.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jeffrey G
Reviewed July 1, 2012

This was my first stay at a Ritz-Carlton, and it was because the JW Marriott next door was booked solid for a conference in the LA Convention Center across the street. Overall, I was very pleased with the room and personal amenities, but the facilities could use some more care.

Location: Across the street from the LA Convention Center, in the Nokia LA Live complex, sharing the same building with the JW. Don’t be fooled by the skyscraper - the hotel rooms are actually just Floors 23 to 26, with the other floors being condos. Unlike Vdara, the Ritz-Carlton condo-hotel setup does not currently have a way for the tenants to rent-out their units to hotel guests when available. This is very unfortunate, because there are only about 100 rooms available for hotel guests, and during conferences and events, these rooms fill up very quickly -- and, most of the condo units in the 50-something odd floors are empty.

Room: In-room HVAC unit was a bit noisy, quite unfortunate, given that the building is only about two years ago. Engineer couldn't fix it. Bed was excellent. Closet with the usual hangers (heavy wooden), but also included shoe polish and brush and an umbrella -- and a very fluffy and comfy bath robe. Room decorations featured a very intriguing wire-sculptured lamp. Turndown service not requested, but arrived in room in evening to music in the room, slippers placed on a towel next to bed.

The advert-muzak on the TV was cheesy-idealistic, but really made a point about Ritz-Carlton service and care -- “let us launch a global search for your lost laptop [read: the possibilities are endless].”

Bathroom: Standard luxury hotel separation of toilet with the bath facilities, separate (rain) shower with shower extension cord and tub. I was pleasantly surprised that a natural (though imported from China) sponge was one of the personal amenities offered on the shower tray. The TV in the mirror was also a nice touch, although situated in an odd location in-between two sinks to be practically useless as a screen.

The hotel staff was very intelligent and knew what they were doing -- even on the night shift.

Late Night In-Hotel Food: Room service stopped at 11 PM, and the only restaurant was the WP. WP only had their lounge menu at the time, and every single item was fried - some healthy alternatives would be nice.

Fitness Room: The usual fitness machines with TVs and a selection of weights and yoga matts. Bottled water with cheap promotional earphones (some melted or distorted) in packages.

Pool: open-sky, on a lovely mid-level skyscraper, breezy.

This was almost my first 5-star review, except the hotel staff was apparently courteous only for the "time paid". I checked out just before 4 PM, where I was greeted by staff who addressed me by name. When I returned just a little over two hours later to pick up my luggage and catch Amtrak, I asked if the towncar was in. Instead of telling me the availability of the town car, the (new) attendant acted as if he didn't know what I was talking about, directing me to the taxi queue outside. While arriving instantly, the summoned taxi was a sub-par mini-van (unsavory upholstery, missing seats, no AC, fumes), and the driver cursed when I handed him a credit card, after having taken the long route to Union Station ($30). He did not have the tools to take a credit card (has never heard of Square), so he ended up writing my credit card number down.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#2 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles? Share your experiences!