“Beautiful Hotel - Excellent Service”

The Ritz-Carlton, Los Angeles
Ranked #15 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
“Beautiful Hotel - Excellent Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

I was a little concerned about a 300 room Ritz-Carlton adjacent to the Staples Center and the JW Marriott, a 1000 room hotel. However the room was one of the nicest Ritz rooms I have visited in my 28 years of staying off and on in Ritz Carlton hotels.

The service was excellent, private Ritz entrance nice, and being adjacent to the Staples Center, LA Live and all the restaurants great.

I definitely would stay here again...much more fun than I thought. I did not like the $40 price tag on the valet parking...I think that is way too much but knew that when I booked the room.

3 Thank Clinton S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

My son and I stayed here while doing college visits in June. It was very clean, we splurged for the club level and it made our life so easy. When we were ready to head out to our next adventure, we stopped by the lounge grabbed a tea,coffee or water bottle and left. When we were on our way back in, grabbed fruit or a snack. They always had nice food presentation and were always pleasant. The hotel was clean/nice/new.The only glitch was a fire alarm early one morning where we climbed down 24 flights of stairs only to find out if was a false alarm. I felt like someone should have yelled in the stairwell that it was false. It wasnt very comfortable walking in the Ritz Lobby in your pajamas. Great location if you have a car. The concierge was eager to plan and help.I think her name was Patrice. I would stay here again!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank travelclassygal
Vancouver BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2011

I've heard lots of negative reviews about this property when it first opened because it was not up to par with the Ritz Carlton brand. Kinks are to be expected from any business - I think since that time, their front line staff must have gotten a hang of their roles. I found the service was great and what you would normally expect from a 5 star hotel.

One thing that previous guests have discussed before that cannot changed is the layout of the property. It is connected to the JW Marriot which is sprawling in comparison. Their lobby is grand and filled with attendants. In fact, my taxi dropped my off at JW's lobby, I guess they think the two properties are synonymous with each other? If you do get dropped off at the JW, you will need to walk through a tiny little hallway on the left hand side to get to the Ritz. The lobby there is very small in comparison but cozy.

You can already see from all the other travellers photos the decor - Very new, modern and top notch - is true to life, so I won't comment on it. I will have to say that the washrooms are EXCELLENT. The washroom is split in 2 so It has a separate toilet and bath area - perfect for couples who need room to each do their own thing :) The shower area features a rain shower and SUPER CLEAN tub. There are rarely any hotels that have tubs clean enough for a bath for my standards but this has got to be one of them so that says a lot about the cleanliness of this property.

It's right next to the Nokia and Staples Centre. Immediately downstairs you will find many mid-price eateries to grab a bite. Most are your typical bar-food.

They also offer an In-House DRIVER and towncar which will take you out within the local area - but no returns back to the hotel. They don't take reservations but you can simply call the front desk and ask if the car is available and they will let you know when is a good time to go down to the lobby to wait for the drivers return.

For quick cheap eats nearby I would give it a 4/5
For washroom cleanliness I would give it a 5/5

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Orange County, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at the Ritz for a business meeting. If you are going to be staying in downtown Los Angeles, I highly recommend the hotel. I only gave the location 4 stars because I am not a huge fan of the downtown area but if you are going to be downtown, this is the place!

The hotel is right in the middle of the LA Live complex. It shares the building with JW Marriott (the JWM has the first 20 or so floors, the Ritz is something like 22-25 and the top floors are residences). As others have commented, the Ritz seems to be very much a business hotel. The lobby is small though more than adequate but there was no bar or lounge that I saw (other than the Club Lounge described below).

The room was very nicely laid out. We had a king bed which was very comfortable. Given that the room was not huge, I was impressed with the amount of furniture it had without it feeling at all cramped. If you had to stay for more than a few days there is plenty of storage. There was always complimentary water left by housekeeping and even a Nespresso machine.

The bath was small but had double sinks and a separate shower and tub. The TV built into the mirror was very unique.

The hotel is very new and was very slick (without being cold). The pool area was very nice though it was too overcast while we were there to take advantage. The gym was also extremely nice.

We had the good fortune of having access to the Club Lounge which I cannot recommend enough. It is a wonderful place to relax and unwind. The meal services make your day very easy and complimentary drinks are included. If you stay at the hotel, definitely do the Club. Above and beyond, the Club Lounge employees are super attentive. Most address you by name and are always eager to help.

Notwithstanding the Club, we did pry ourselves away and had appetizers and drinks at WP24 which was very nice.

The only complaint was that there was some confusion upon arrival. We were to have Club access but upon arrival I asked her to confirm. The response I got was "No." Period. Not, "I'm sorry, but we don't show that. Do you have more information?" Just "No". It became my responsibility to track down our event coordinator so she could address the issue. Granted, we were with a large group and I'm sure it was confusing. We felt that the person who checked us in could benefit from some coaching on handling an issue with some degree of warmth and customer service. The Assistant Manager did follow up to apologize and make sure everything was ok which we appreciated.

All in all, the Ritz is a great option in downtown LA.

Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

Great Service, Proffesionalism. Location, very well trained staff

1 Thank Lak54
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2011

Have stayed in many Ritz Carltons around the country, and this did not disappoint. Service was perfect from check in to check out. Front desk staff greeted us by name. Was presented with champagne. Children welcomed and also offered drinks. Room was very modern, but still warm. Beautiful modern bathroom. Kids loved TV in mirror. Was on 23 floor and views were super.
Be sure to pay the up grade for Club Lounge. The $70 or so extra is well worth it. Four services a day. We ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner in lounge. Were out of hotel for dessert service sadly. Staff in lounge and all over the hotel were very polite and helpful.
Pool area is nice, but was windy for our stay. Cabanas very nice. There is a pool side bar, we did not need as had club lounge, but waitress seemed very gracious.
Husband and kids used the fitness center both mornings. We did not eat in the restaurant as we were out both evenings.
Freeway access was very easy for getting around. Kids liked movie theater just across the street. Parking fee was $32 dollars a night and internet was $12.95 a day.
We will return to this hotel when we are in town this summer.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Norgetroll
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2011

I booked one night as a birthday gift to my bf who generally insists on having the finer things in life and boy was it fine! The room was spacious. There is a TV embedded in the bathroom mirror, the bathroom has both a big tub and rain shower head, the decor is very modern/contemporary, someone from front-desk walked us up and gave us a mini tour of the room, a personal kit including a toothbrush and room sandals were provided, the bottled water was free and valet offers you even more water before you leave (seriously, a bottle of water costs about 25 cents, why don't all hotels offer just a basic free bottle of water to guests?) Anyway, all the luxury did cost quite a bit but this was a gift so I sucked it up!
The location is in the LA Live area which pretty much represents LA as most visitors imagine it to be.
If you can afford it, stay at the Ritz Carlton over and over and over again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple