“Returned to a great burger”
Review of The Golden State

The Golden State
Ranked #518 of 9,953 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Lake Forest, California
“Returned to a great burger”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Love the burger. I was here before and updating my review. Got the Harris Ranch burger which was excellent with cheese, bacon and arugula. I was recently at Harris Ranch and found this almost as good for 1/2 the price. I do like that Golden State uses crispy bacon on top which made it better. Also, got an awesome potato salad and one of the best root beer I've ever had. He told me the brand so I can buy at Whole Foods.
Value was great it was about $11 for everything.

BTW best parking is in the residential area not the Farmer's Market. Just make sure you watch the signs for street sweeping and 2 hrs limit on some streets.

• Visited July 2014

“Excellent simplicity”
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

This is a quaint little place in old Hollywood. The entire seating area is smaller then most people's living room. We got their early as my friend warned me that it fills up quick. He was not wrong. When we arrived at 7pm, the place was already filled with people. We ordered our hamburgers with sides (sweet potato is nice, jalapeño cole slaw is better) and immediately one of the workers helped us to re-organize guests so we could sit. Everybody who was being moved acted like it was absolutely normal in this place, and we soon found out that was correct. All guests were very ready to make room for new diners.
The service was friendly and professional. The place has more choices of draft beer than food, which means that they focus on a few things and do it well.
By the time we left, there was a line out the door with people happy to wait for this very well made burger.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Dkaljuvee
Boston, Massachusetts
“Hands Down Best burger Ever”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I was very pleasantly surprised by how good the burger was. As I was eating, I kept having to slow myself down consciously because it was so good I could barely stop eating. We also had the house-made rootbeer and the gelato - all were excellent.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Penuski
Marina del Rey, California
“Between the buns”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Guy Fieri already raved about this place on DDD, but he raves about everything. This time he was "on point". We ate lunch on a Sunday before a holiday Monday. It's a small place as others have mentioned, yet the wait was negligible. People seem to eat and leave allowing everyone to get their turn at the trough. We all all had the signature beef burger medium rare. Two of us had regular fries and one had the sweet potato fries. The burgers were perfect. Not large; not small; just right. The brioche bun supported the juicy meat patty with the correct amount of give in every bite. The real action was all between the buns. Quality meat cooked to order, well seasoned and juicy. The added cheese and bacon also played a supporting role like the bun. We drank a dark beer from their on tap selection. I can't remember the specific brew but it went well with the burger leaving a chocolate-like aftertaste with every delicious sip. I'll stop by the Golden State whenever I'm in the Fairfax area. I plan to try the turkey burger next.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Cyril B
Los Angeles, California
“World-Class Burger”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Slowly but surely Golden State is becoming my favorite burger in LA. If you aren't in the mood for In'N'Out, this is the place. My favorite is "The Burger" which is perfectly proportioned burger, cheese, sauce, bacon and greens (and I'm not generally a bacon-on-my-burger kind of guy). Fries, sweet potato wedges and cabbage slaw are favorite sides. Beer selection is great. Can't miss.

• Visited December 2013