Garden Suites Hotel & Resort
$324
$279
Sofitel
  • Pool
Travelodge Santa Monica(Santa Monica)(Great Value!)
$154
Hotel Angeleno(Los Angeles)(Great Value!)
$189
  • Pool
Best Western Plus Sunset Plaza Hotel(West Hollywood)(Great Value!)
$267
$259
  • Breakfast included
Ocean View Hotel(Santa Monica)
$305
$216
$203
Omni Hotels
  • Restaurant
Casa del Mar(Santa Monica)
$591
$575
$171
$167
  • Pool
All reviewssingle kingkorean foodfree parkingking roomcomfortable bedswithin walking distancewilshirektowntheatredowntown
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We visited LA in April 2013. We were travelling by train and found it very easy to find from the nearest metro station Wilshire / Western. (approx 100metres). It's in a Korean district. We found the immediate area quite safe and found a nice bar nearby (The Novel Cafe) and there's a huge pharmacy / shop at the Crossroads also.

The hotel itself has dated decor but aside from that it's comfortable and it's fine. The breakfast was $5.99 and was quite slow being served. The wifi is very good in the hotel. There was a smell of fried asian food when we arrived first!

It's only a metro ride from Downtown, Union Station and Hollywood

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank PMcDonald
Reviewed April 24, 2013

The hotel building looks more worn out than the pictures shown on the website. The carpet in the lobby had a dull grey colour. I told myself not to expect too much when I saw the carpet. The lobby was much smaller than it appeared in the hotel website. The room was small but clean and tidy. There was no bathtub but a shower "corner". The bathroom looked clean. Parking was free with unlimited entry. There was no coffee maker, iron and ironing board in the room. Breakfast is not included in the rate. I would say the rate was on the high side for what the services I got.

There is a McDonald's right next door (one minute walk) and a Ralph's supermarket on the opposite side of the road. The location was very good.

if asked whether I would come back again, I would say "may be". I would not mind coming back again but it would not be an option with high priority.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Ydenw
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My boyfriend and our roommate and I stayed here in early November, 2012, for the Hard Haunted Mansion Day of the Dead music festival in Los Angeles. We chose the Garden Suites Hotel as it was near the Metro and to be honest, was one of the few places that had rooms in our price range at the time we were looking.

We decided to splurge a little on a deluxe room, over a standard, as the website stated they are 'more spacious'. If the room we had was considered spacious, I can't imagine the sardine-can a standard room is! And our room was just a king bed! We were able to fit a cot in (our roommate wasn't planning to stay with us, but plans changed last-minute) and though it was an extra $20, they had it delivered to our room while we were out at the festival.

Our room, though small and pretty dimly lit, was really pretty inside. The bed was big and had a lovely, fabric headboard, and very soft blankets on top. Our window faced a wall, but it was nice to have fresh air and some natural light.

The bathroom was the best part, and as girls, we spent a lot of time in there getting ready! The sink was completely impractical, a waterfall-like faucet that if you turned it on too strong, would spill over onto the counter, instead of into the large glass bowl for the sink. Aesthetically though, it was awesome. The mirror was the expanse of the bathroom wall, and the shower had a rainfall showerhead, and half a glass wall (there was a sign about keeping the shower curtain inside the little tile divider between the shower floor and the bathroom floor, but we had no curtain). Luckily, no water spilled out onto the floor while anyone showered.

There was a little bit of a language barrier with the front desk staff (this hotel is in Koreatown), particularly when asking for the cot, but overall their service was really great. They answered all of my questions and made us all feel pretty welcome. We were checked in and checked out in a timely manner and treated well.

It did take us a long time to get back at the end of the night, as the Metro line running directly to Wilshire and Western did not run after 2:00am like the other lines, and the Red line dropped us off about a mile away, but that was kind of an accepted issue we had to deal with and knew about beforehand. I will say, the three of us walked all that way at 3:00am and felt really safe the whole time!

Overall, this hotel was really nice. The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars from me is for value. I rarely spend more than $100 a night for a hotel for a festival (not a lot of sleeping happens when you're out until 2 and then stuck in post-festival traffic) and I'm used to getting quite nice stays for that price. I'm used to paying more when staying in L.A. but $180 wasn't 100% worth it to me. I'll stay here again if I can't find another nice place to stay in the area, but I'll probably make hotel arrangements further in advance of festivals in the area in future.

Room Tip: Paying a little extra for a deluxe room (over a standard) is worth it for the decor if you'll be spending much time in the room!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Keridwyn R
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I was looking for a hotel near the Wilshire Ebell Theatre, but nothing near the theatre seemed to have good enough reviews. Per advice in the TA Forum, we ended up staying at the Garden Suites Hotel and taking a quick taxi ride to the concert (I think it was $8-10 total). My teenage daughter and I had a blast...and felt safe, too. Great view of the Hollywood sign, friendly staff, and convenient little restaurants in the neighborhood. Free and easy parking!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Luv2Travel1967
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Definitely a place most suited to Korean travelers, as others have noted.

The whole experience was a bit surreal. I stayed here on business, and it was in perfect walking distance to where I needed to be.

That was the only advantage.

The suite in which I stayed was decorated in early 70s green and brown colors. Everything worked okay (except for a missing knob on the stove), but it smelled a bit musty and it was tired. The bed was hard and uncomfortable.

The restaurant is definitely not geared towards western clientele; for breakfast the first morning, I found that the hostess/waitress didn't speak English, and I have no experience with Korean, so it was a little frustrating. The "western breakfast" was greasy and heavy, and I went across the street to the Ralph's grocery to get granola bars and Starbucks VIA for the remaining days.

The staff wasn't unpleasant, and the lobby was quite nice. Overall, it was just a slightly surreal experience. This is definitely a hotel I am not anxious to return to, but if you need a quiet and reasonably clean space in Koreatown, it isn't terrible.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business