“Great budget hotel”

and 1 more site!
Wilshire Motel
Ranked #146 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We spent 5 days at this charming little hotel while visiting family. While it wasn't the typical, cookie cutter hotel, It was clean, spacious and comfortable. It was also kind of retro- it appears to have been built in the 40's or 50's and it is extremely well taken care of. We had 2 bedrooms, a living room and a bath. There was a small refrigerator and a microwave and a television in each room. There was also free wifi. It was close to the beaches and there were lots of places to eat in the area. There was also a large grocery store and a drug store nearby. We were traveling with a baby and this place was perfect for us. The continental breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kld1
There are newer reviews for Wilshire Motel

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I'm giving 4 stars considering that this place is better than motel, but very average 2-3 starish as hotel. It is budget friendly, clean and spacious. Breakfast is included. Very convenient if you are driving,It is approximately at the same distance from all popular spots. It is couple minutes away from Santa Monica Pier. The room has microwave and refrigerator. The shower is very small to fit. All furniture is old.It was clean,so we didn't bother.The lady Julia is ok to deal with,but the man (I dont know if he is her husband or wht) is very rude. The parking space is limited. By the way, it is not building, each room is neighboring a la villa.

Room Tip: choose the rooms away from the entrance.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank sosyetik
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This small motel is ideal for spending a few days in Los Angeles, is very well located and connected to bus # 2, and then the rest of the city.
The room is ideal for two people, had a wardrobe with hangers, the bathroom is right, the room is equipped with a small refrigerator and microwave oven and a television. Everything was clean and towels changed every day, but not the sheets of the bed.
Julia The manager was very polite and courteous at all times with us.
The breakfast has the basics (fruit, bread, muffins, coffee, tea, cocoa ...).
In short, it is a great motel for a few days in LA.

Room Tip: Wilshire Motel ideal para pasar unos dias en Los Angeles
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 23, 2013

While driving to UCLA Santa Monica, the Wilshire Motel sign caught my eye. I was able to just get a glimpse of this property, and so we phoned to check it out. We ended up there that evening for a total of 3 nights. While it isn't up on the level of, let's say, Laguna Hills Lodge, another family owned property (down south off the 405 freeway), we really enjoyed the quaintness and small size of this ol' Mom and Pop place. First off, Julia, our host, was very kind to us, making sure we felt welcome. She went out of her way to fulfill a request for something not in the room, she assisted us with directions, etc. She was very personable. Baskets of geraniums hung outside the rooms and the room was very neat and clean, something I am a stickler about. We had free parking and breakfast available to us. Breakfast included very fresh fruits, bagels, muffins, cereals, coffee and tea's etc. I think the only things I perhaps may have wanted were yogurt and real orange juice. But no complaints. This was a great discovery for us, this will be our "go-to" place while we are in the Los Angeles area for medical care from now on. And guess what? The price was perfect for our budget. I wonder if I should be sharing our new secret, we may find it difficult to get a room in the future! :)

Room Tip: Good idea to reserve in advance!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Mitchellgc
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The lady at the front desk is arrogant and accent makes it difficult to understand her. For the price, definitely not worth it. It's an aged motel and there are better choice in the area. Keep moving and look elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank 23Gs
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed at the Wilshire Motel for six nights in December 2012. The manager, Julia, is lovely and so helpful and friendly. When I told her I was walking to find a thrift store, she recommended two others that were closer (and huge), and was also a good resource for questions about taxis and buses.

The motel is ideally located for travelling in to Santa Monica or Downtown LA as it is on a main bus route. People don't seem to have much knowledge of the buses as everyone drives, but you can ride around cheaply and conveniently, and get to all the major sights - if you don't mind travelling for a bit longer than you would in a cab.

I was a female traveling alone and felt safe in the area around the motel when I walked around at dusk. There are plenty of bars and restaurants nearby which were busy every night I was there. The CVS is 1 minute away which is ideal for picking up basic groceries and toiletries.

The room was airy and clean, it was a bit noisy in the morning as it was at the back of the lot near an apartment block, so as people were waking up to go to work you also had to wake up. The TV had lots of channels, and the small fridge was ideal for storing drinks and fruit.

The free breakfast was great. Each day there was a selection of muffins, croissants, fruit, bagels and cereal - it might have been nice to have some yogurts, too.

The only suggestions I would make to improve the motel rooms would be a better hairdryer, and a safe for valuables. Other than that I enjoyed my stay, I thought it was great value and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the lot are quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I've stopped by this place back in 2008 and thought for sure the next time I was in L.A. on a budget, I can stay here. Especially for the price. I like the location. Best believe that Wilshire Blvd is one of the main arteries of Los Angeles and this is in a safe neighborhood. It's also a good thing that restaurants and CVS are a few doors down. Rooms were clean so they deserve credit for that.
Now on to some of the things that bothered me;
I know it's a motel but I've stayed at cheap dives before and this is the very first one that did not have a phone. It doesn't matter if my lady and I have a cell phone. This seems like the most obvious thing to have. If you were playing Family Feud and top 5 things you will find in a hotel room, phone would be the 3rd best answer below bed and bathroom. So what are we supposed to do in an emergency?
Run outside to the front desk?
No clock radio either. I guess we have to figure out the time for ourselves when we check out. How cheap can you be?
I paid $90 so it's not dirt cheap at all. The internet is free but I think there is a limit on how many can log on to their router at a time. I was able to get on because i stayed logged on as soon as I checked in. My lady waited until the second day we were there and was unable to connect.
That's pretty bad. Even though she can log into other nearby wifi routers. So it wasn't her iPod's fault. The parking here can be a nightmare depending on the occupancy level. They say it's free parking and that's true but what happens is, when you show up, the couple that runs the hotel tells you where you can park. By the time you get back to the hotel later on in the night, there are no spots and now they have to try to tell you to park behind this car or that. So if someone blocked me, I would have to ask around to get the car moved. I would hate for someone to wake me up asking me to move my car. I really didn't like the setup and they are working with a very tight space. I agree with one reviewer that it's got this retro vibe so if you're into that, knock yourself out. I'm having a hard time figuring out why this place can't even get the basic necessities right.

Room Tip: no room is a good room
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
#24 of 36 in Santa Monica
Hilgard House Hotel
Hilgard House Hotel
#149 of 353 in Los Angeles

Been to Wilshire Motel? Share your experiences!