“A budget motel with a big heart”
Review of Wilshire Motel

and 1 more site!
Wilshire Motel
Ranked #146 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed at the Wilshire Motel for six nights in December 2012. The manager, Julia, is lovely and so helpful and friendly. When I told her I was walking to find a thrift store, she recommended two others that were closer (and huge), and was also a good resource for questions about taxis and buses.

The motel is ideally located for travelling in to Santa Monica or Downtown LA as it is on a main bus route. People don't seem to have much knowledge of the buses as everyone drives, but you can ride around cheaply and conveniently, and get to all the major sights - if you don't mind travelling for a bit longer than you would in a cab.

I was a female traveling alone and felt safe in the area around the motel when I walked around at dusk. There are plenty of bars and restaurants nearby which were busy every night I was there. The CVS is 1 minute away which is ideal for picking up basic groceries and toiletries.

The room was airy and clean, it was a bit noisy in the morning as it was at the back of the lot near an apartment block, so as people were waking up to go to work you also had to wake up. The TV had lots of channels, and the small fridge was ideal for storing drinks and fruit.

The free breakfast was great. Each day there was a selection of muffins, croissants, fruit, bagels and cereal - it might have been nice to have some yogurts, too.

The only suggestions I would make to improve the motel rooms would be a better hairdryer, and a safe for valuables. Other than that I enjoyed my stay, I thought it was great value and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the lot are quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Wilshire Motel

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I've stopped by this place back in 2008 and thought for sure the next time I was in L.A. on a budget, I can stay here. Especially for the price. I like the location. Best believe that Wilshire Blvd is one of the main arteries of Los Angeles and this is in a safe neighborhood. It's also a good thing that restaurants and CVS are a few doors down. Rooms were clean so they deserve credit for that.
Now on to some of the things that bothered me;
I know it's a motel but I've stayed at cheap dives before and this is the very first one that did not have a phone. It doesn't matter if my lady and I have a cell phone. This seems like the most obvious thing to have. If you were playing Family Feud and top 5 things you will find in a hotel room, phone would be the 3rd best answer below bed and bathroom. So what are we supposed to do in an emergency?
Run outside to the front desk?
No clock radio either. I guess we have to figure out the time for ourselves when we check out. How cheap can you be?
I paid $90 so it's not dirt cheap at all. The internet is free but I think there is a limit on how many can log on to their router at a time. I was able to get on because i stayed logged on as soon as I checked in. My lady waited until the second day we were there and was unable to connect.
That's pretty bad. Even though she can log into other nearby wifi routers. So it wasn't her iPod's fault. The parking here can be a nightmare depending on the occupancy level. They say it's free parking and that's true but what happens is, when you show up, the couple that runs the hotel tells you where you can park. By the time you get back to the hotel later on in the night, there are no spots and now they have to try to tell you to park behind this car or that. So if someone blocked me, I would have to ask around to get the car moved. I would hate for someone to wake me up asking me to move my car. I really didn't like the setup and they are working with a very tight space. I agree with one reviewer that it's got this retro vibe so if you're into that, knock yourself out. I'm having a hard time figuring out why this place can't even get the basic necessities right.

Room Tip: no room is a good room
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Nice innkeepers -- got a little studio -- this is an old-style motel that must have been in that location before a lot of other buildings around it existed.

Wilshire blvd gets very busy in the morning, so there is some slightly loud "white noise" for you if you like it.

The studio itself was fine, and the beds were comfortable (a rare thing, I'm finding).

My only real gripe is the parking: the space for parking is VERY tight -- if you don't have a car, this might be a good choice. Late at night, when the motel was full, cars were almost parked valet style. I did some of teeth-grinding in the morning trying to back out onto Wilshire blvd.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We chose this motel because of its proximity to our LA family, and we'll stay here again next time we visit. The room was clean and nice. Julia, the manager, was lovely and made sure we were satisfied with everything. The continental breakfast had several kinds of fresh fruit, fresh muffins, bagels and cereal. You could choose to eat at tables either inside or out. A nice experience.

Room Tip: Some rooms are larger than others. We were at the back and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This is the second time I have stayed here. Both times were for weekend activities at UCLA. Very convenenient to UCLA, rooms are dated but very clean and yo can get the entire family in comfortably. Lots of restaurants close by. Julia the manager is very friendly and checks to make sure your stay was going well. Will be my hotel of choice for future trips to UCLA

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Stephen S
Reviewed November 6, 2012

A really good and comfy motel that have great location for things to see, like venice beach , santa monica and hollywood.

Breakfast is decent and is included.

We stayed her twice, thats how nice it is.

/ Johan & Jonas

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 6, 2012

very quint and atmospheric motel in a best location,clean ,good price ,nice breakfast and free parking .My husband and I love it,this is the third time we stay there and will stay again..
My room had a fridge,good TV,plenty of hot water...internet service is excellent ..plenty of good restaurants and cafes in a walking distance...Julia,the manager run a good business and is extremely kind and helpful...They can also drop you of to the airport for a small fee...we highly recommend it

Room Tip: ask for middle room
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Santa Monica
Comfort Inn Santa Monica
Comfort Inn Santa Monica
#24 of 36 in Santa Monica

Been to Wilshire Motel? Share your experiences!