Wilshire Motel
Hotel Angeleno(Los Angeles)(Great Value!)
$189
  • Pool
Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel(West Hollywood)(Great Value!)
$426
$229
Omni Hotels
$116
$104
Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel(Los Angeles)(Great Value!)
$159
$289
$202
Hotels.com
  • Pool
All reviewssanta monicabreakfast includedeach morningbeverly hillscottagecvscerealfridge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Two friends and I stayed in a 2 bedroom 2 bath cottage at this charming, thrifty, vintage motel. The manager was helpful and friendly. The rooms are ultra cute and very clean. The surprise bonuses include complimentary breakfast in the small dining area or outside on the patio, free WI-FI and a free off-street parking.

There is a fair amount of unavoidable street noise from Wilshire and some of the beds are a bit wobbly after all these years, but the charm, convenience and price more than make up for that.

About 10 minutes from the beach and walking distance to a large assortment of interesting restaurants and shops make the location a plus too.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Avoid this motel at all costs! The owner of this motel is TERRIBLE. The rooms are nice and the location is sort of central in West LA, which can be a little bit convenient. Julia, who was mentioned in other reviews, left the motel before our stay (as of Sept. 20), and the current owner is a total jerk.

He did not charge my credit card when I reserved the motel online, and later told me that I have to pay for a 2-bed room because he gave out my room since I did not pay. I gave him all the credit card info but he did not charge it, and now it's my fault that it's not paid. I ended up being charged an extra $20 for HIS mistake!If you ever book here, make sure you come here around noon because this thing called reservation won't actually give you a room here.

As I left the second day, I left a jacket in the room. I called him back a little bit after I left and he said he would "look into it later". I did not get a reply for days, and then when I finally went back to ask, he said (and I quote): "I found totally nothing, you understand? Nothing, Okay? Now Goodbye." And he hang up. This sounds really shady. If I did not tell him about the jacket and just went back, chances are it should still be in the closet.

This owner just has NO respect to customers. He doesn't speak proper English and used a bunch of swear words to me. Just spend that extra $20 and live in the nearby chain inns. At least there IS something called customer service there.

Of course, I would NEVER go back to this place or recommend anyone to live there.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank LushieW
Reviewed September 23, 2012

If you are looking for an affordable and comfortable stay in this part of LA, this is it.
Convenient to our business with the consulate and everything else we needed it was a fortunate find for us. Basic accommodations in an old style motor court in a nice neighborhood with a friendly no non-sense staff. Throw in impeccably clean linens and I know where I am staying the next time I visit this place. Things most travelers might need are close at hand. The area is full of useful shops; grocers, pharmacies, Whole Foods, coffee shops, pubs, eateries from fast food to haute cuisine and much more in between, including some good veg/vegan dining options close by. A great value, this place is run by good folks and is an excellent choice for many types of travelers.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This is a 50s-vintage motel with standalone units/cottages. It is neither fancy nor pretentious. That said, the rates are reasonable for LA, and the retro-look rooms are clean. Some have been redone. Nice linens and sheets. Wi-Fi. The continental breakfast is tasty—cereal, coffee, muffins, croissants, bagels, fresh oranges, bananas.

Prepare yourself for the very tight parking (this is a 50s motel, remember) that often requires some skillful maneuvering. However, Julia, the owner manager, will gladly help you with this. In fact, Julia is a true gem—she and her family live on site, and take great pride in what they do.

Would we return? We are already booked there for Christmas.

Room Tip: Call Julia rather than booking online.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kathy01
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We spent our first two nights after arriving in Los Angeles and the night before flying back in this motel in summer 2012. The Wilshire Motel has proven to be the perfect choice.
The location is very good, the motel is located a few miles from the airport and Santa Monica Beach. Lots of pubs are in within walking distance.
A full breakfast with fresh fruit is served.
The motel has a lovely vintage charm.
The owner was very helpful with any questions.
We were five people from Germany.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family