“Great Experience”

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I went on recommendation of my brother who had saw the restaurant on "The Layover." I was by myself so I went to the bar for dinner. I arrived when it opened so I was one of the first few in the place. Sal (bartender) introduced himself immediately and showed me the different beer they had (all bottles) and pointed me in the right direction of a locally brewed beer. I asked for recommendations and he gave me two and I chose a third.

My first course was the yellow fin tuna on a tostada, this was one of the best dishes I've had. Lots of flavors with the fish and lime along with the hot peppers that really made the dish.

Second course was my fried pig ear with a fried egg. This was good as well, but not up to the pig ear dish at Husk.

Third course was bone marrow with onions and a chimichurri on top, it was served with grilled sourdough bread. This was a great dish as well, I really like bone marrow so this was up my alley.

Someone next to the me at the bar said I had to try the bacon crunch chocolate bar for dessert. This dish is served with salt and pepper ice cream. I'll say i'm not that big on dessert typically, but this might have been the best dessert I've ever had. Great combo of salty and sweet, it was featured on the best things I've ever eaten as well.

I really enjoyed my experience at Animal, I'd highly recommend it to anyone. The staff couldn't have been nicer as well.

1  Thank LynskeyWRX
There are newer reviews for Animal

Reviewed December 20, 2013

We went to Animal with some friends who are in "the know" about this place. Doesn't look like anything from the street. We went late and it was not that crowded. The guy most in the know ordered for all of us and I think we tried just about everything in our big group and we ate every last bite. We didn't go for the seriously weird items, but some standouts were the pork belly sandwiches, the skirt steak (my fav) and the ribs and something that came with an egg on it. We were having so much fun that my opinion may be skewed a bit. Very oh-so-trendy and probably not a place that I would have selected on my own (particularly from the looks of the place) , but I am glad for the experience. In a place like this with all small plates, it has to be "go big or go home" and that is what we did. If you shy away from the concept of the "animal parts", you will miss a good meal

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Even without the headache making noise level, I would not have enjoyed Animal. I am beginning to feel that a chunk of the Los Angeles restaurant scene smacks of the Emperor's New Clothes. My first visit to Animal featured very tasty food, no doubt. But I am sooooo tired of kitchens telling me what and how to eat.
Since Animal has no cocktails we ordered a bottle of Champagne to share. We asked if we could have the chicken liver toasts with the wine. Answer turned out to be "no". One is required to order everything for the evening and then leave it to the kitchen. First of all, how do I know how much I will want to eat? Never been there before so I don't know the kitchen's penchant for portions. The server says she'll tell us what we need to order two portions of. Okay.
I know we're in trouble when one kimchee taco comes to the table first. One. Small. Taco. For four. Very hard to share. Next came two orders of roasted pear salad. A LOT of pears. We left some. Finally, the liver toasts. We got four. Could have done with two. On and on. Too much. Too little. In the end the ten items we ordered (they recommend two to three per person) ended up being way too much food and came to the table in a haphazard order. What would I have preferred? We would have ordered 3 or 4 dishes that WE think of as apps then 4 or 5 dishes that WE consider entrees. The food is mostly very tasty and usually innovative but I mean, come on. If the meal was complimentary I would happily embrace the imposed rules. But, since I'm paying with actual money, honestly, I'd rather design the meal myself and eat the way I want to eat. And, thankfully, I can. Just not at Animal.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

This menu had some really interesting selections. They had a wide variety of veggie dishes, and meat dishes like pig ears, pig tails, bone marrow, and veal brains. I had their ricotta gnocchi with a 6-hour bolognese, which was so tasty! Dishes are small, so you have an opportunity to try many different plates. Most of the plates are not too expensive, but by the time you order a couple, it could get pricey. The restaurant is always packed, and always loud, so it is difficult to have a nice conversation. Our server was very good, although he was slammed with tables. Would definitely suggest reservations!

Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

I'd heard it was difficult to get in. Fortunately, when we showed up there were seats at the bar. I ordered a Mexican CocaCola. We sampled the poutine, rabbit, pork and turkey. Each was fantastic. Make sure your wallet is prepared.