“EXCELLENT AND WILL BE VISITING AGAIN SOON!!!”

Shelter Hotels Los Angeles
Ranked #144 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Brea, California
“EXCELLENT AND WILL BE VISITING AGAIN SOON!!!”
Reviewed May 7, 2010

My girlfriend and I were attending my best friends surprise 30th birthday party in Downtown LA and we wanted a place to stay that was nice and cheap since it was just for one night. We totelly enjoyed our stay and will be back soon! I'm a very picky person and there isn't one thing I could think about that I didn't like. If you read any negative reviews about this place disregard them stay here and you'll see...

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thejcrew24
ShelterGM, General Manager at Shelter Hotels Los Angeles, responded to this review, June 23, 2010
Thank you for your kind words. We truly appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 3, 2010

All I can say is, "WOW"! Don't stay here with your dogs unless you want the LAPD knocking at your door!

I booked a room through Orbitz for a one night stay at the Shelter Hotel in Los Angeles. From the website, it looked like an okay spot for one night, and they take pets, so their website says...

Well, after a grueling 3 1/2 hour in Friday traffic in L.A., we were ready to get into our room, and decompress for 10 minutes before we had to get ready to head out for our event. But...not so fast! We were, rudely, informed upon check-in that they had no record of our reservation. I thought that was interesting, since I was holding the confirmation letter from Orbitz in my hand. Well, a quick check-in it was not, but no problem; we worked it out, and the hotel did offer to give us a better rate for our trouble.

We proceeded to unload the car, hustle our gear, ourselves, and our dogs up to the room. Well, after a long drive, no doubt everyone needed to relieve themselves, dogs included! We took the dogs out front to pee, and after returning to the room, get a phone call from Rick, at the front desk. He proceeds to inform us that we can't have our dogs there because they are over 20 lbs. If we want to stay, we are going to have to pay another $60! Well, I was shocked, as nowhere in any of the literature about the hotel either on Orbitz, or the Shelter's own website was this indicated. All that it says is that they take pets. I told this to Rick, and he went round and round with me. I asked him to simply show me somewhere that a weight limitation was indicated, and he couldn't do it. He then told us if we didn't pay $50, we had to leave. Well, the first time he said $60. Now which was it, $50 or $60? It was really startng to feel like an arbitrary request, as his amount requested, changed. I refused, until he could present me with facts, which I tell him is a reasonable request. Well, then Rick threatens to call the cops, and hangs-up.

Now, mind you, we had nowhere else to go at this juncture, it's now after 8:00 p.m., we have an event to attend, and really, how the hell am I going to find another hotel that "takes pets"? I got the phone number of the GM of the hotel, Jason [-], and left him a detailed message hoping to get some kind of assistance with the situation, but to this day have heard nothing from him! We continued getting ready, and 30-40 minutes later, get a knock at the door. It's the LAPD!!!! I am asked out into the hallway, where the police proceed to tell me that they have been requested to remove us from the property! I am really apalled at this point, and state my case. They were very nice, and completely understood my plight. They agreed to mediate the situation, as we had nowhere else to go! So, I am escorted down to the lobby by the LAPD to work something out! Now mind you, kind reader, I am extremely embarassed by this! There are other people in the lobby, and even though I knew that I was in the right, I felt like a real chump!

At the desk, Rick was nothing shy of a joke! I asked him, again, to show me something, anything that states that they only take pets that are 20 lbs or less. Again, he can't. I then ask him if they have a scale to weigh pets in on upon arrival, or if he is capable of making a weight judgement by just "eyeballing" it. What do you think his reply was? "Duh..."! I asked him, again, for the phone number of the GM, and also his first and last name. Rick says, "I don't know how to say his last name". I am thinking, "Wow, what kind of Mickey Mouse operation are they running here?". Well, I just want to be over this fiasco, and get on with my night, so the police ask me if I will agree to pay the $50 now, and work on getting reimbursed at a later date. They tell Rick, that if I do this, he must let us stay. I, reluctantly, agree (how easy will it be to get my money back at a later date)? So, apparently, we have reached an agreement, albeit I will try to dispute this at a later date. Rick proceeds to write some chicken-scratch, on a blank piece of paper with a photo-copy of my drivers license about a $50 fee for "not informing the hotel upon check-in that my pets were over 20 lbs________(sign here)"! At this point, I am laughing! They don't even have a pre-made form for this strictly enforced policy? He didn't even use hotel letter-head! Wow, they are really legit! (Please read with a touch of sarcasm)!

Well, at this point, the police escorted me back to my room, and gave me their contact information for use at a later date, should I need their testimony for my dispute. The LAPD were, actually, very courteous and helpful.

The Shelter Hotel...a total joke.

Because of this fiasco, we were late to our engagement, and caused our hosts to be late as well.

I have never been treated so poorly, or had such miserable customer service as at the Shelter Hotel. At this writing the GM, JASON [-], has still not attempted to contact me to apologize for the ill treatment we received there. Way to run damage control, Jason! I did talk to the customer service department at Orbitz. They did some research, and found that the Shelter Hotel, did NOT, in any of their literature, post a weight limitation on pets! They were extremely apologetic, and have offered to compensate me with a gift certificate.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jackyl01
ShelterGM, General Manager at Shelter Hotels Los Angeles, responded to this review, May 6, 2010
There are no words that can begin to describe how sorry we are for the horrible stay that you had had. We love pets here and accept them all. There clearly was a miscommunitcation on our end regarding our policy and I apologize for the inconveniences bestowed upon you. Although you have stated you have called management, I assure you that I have never recieved any messages from you. I truly want to hear the whole story and am asking to please consider contacting me again. If you were given my business card please feel free to contact the cell number provided. If not, any of our Front Desk agents will be more than happy to transfer you to my line.

I appreciate you taking the time to write your review and will take this lesson and learn from it.

Yours Truly

Jason Scharlau

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Liverpool, UK
Reviewed April 18, 2010

Stayed at the Shelter for the final two nights of our honeymoon before flying out from LAX. Really nice room in the residential area of Koreatown. Free parking is a massive bonus. Area is nice, and the Korean supermarket was fab. Would have been perfect place to stay if they provided self catering facilities.

Metro station nearby got us to the Staples Centre in no time to watch the Clippers. Loads of buses nearby also.

Staff were very helpful, and was a nice place to wind down before heading back to the UK

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank prof_hoolahan
ShelterGM, General Manager at Shelter Hotels Los Angeles, responded to this review, April 22, 2010
Thank you for staying with us. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Congrats on your marriage! Best wishes to you both.
San Diego, CA
Reviewed March 8, 2010

Hotel was cheap compared to what was around. Went to a Lakers game and this was less than a 10 minute drive. Location was great for restaurants and downtown. Wasn't expecting to much but it thoroughly impressed me.
When we got there, there was free parking underground and it was gated at night, so that was reassuring. The two downfalls of this hotel is that there isn't much guidance on where to go after you park, as well as the lack of really a professional front desk. Nowhere does it really show you that you need to take the elevator to the second floor to get to the front desk. Once the doors open you're greeted by an open desk with a computer and printer on it with a staff member. Hopefully that's the next thing that's going to be fixed in their renovation, it's not the best first impression.
What was nice was the staff, they are very friendly and you can tell the hotel is doing a lot to try and improve the interior.
Our room was very nice and upgraded. From nice dark wood floors, to a nice tv with lots of stations to an updated bathroom, this place was very pleasing to the eye. The room was quite large and doesn't have to much within it, so that may something that need to consider upgrading as well. Everything within the room was spotless and clean. The beds felt very comfortable and we were not disturbed all night.
I highly recommend this place if you want to stay around downtown, it was a very pleasant surprise and is a good find.

1 Thank SDHawkeye
vancouver
Reviewed February 28, 2010

The room looks better in person than in the picture (how often does that happen?) The floors are hardwood. The beds are brand new and ridiculously comfortable. The street is quiet, so our sleep was undisturbed and peaceful. The bed is king sized, but it doesn't dwarf the room, my husband and I were able to spread out and get comfortable without getting in each others way. With a car it was easy to get anywhere in the city. The staff was easy to talk to and the few suggestions we had were received receptively. We would stay there again and recommend it to any friends visiting LA.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 27, 2010

Hello.
I've stayed February 10th to February 15th.

--The positive:
Very clean / The bed is extremely confortable / Good LCD TV / Free Internet / The staff is perfect (with emphasis Diego) / The parking lot is very good but at saturday you can't find free space.
--The Negative:
The main problem is: There isn't any clothes cabinet in the room, just one pole to rang some jackets or shirts. In our case, we left our clothes inside the bags.

1 Thank rafaeldonadio
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed February 4, 2010

When booking the Shelter my expectation weren't super high given how cheap it was. Most of the TA reviews were positive so we took a chance. I'm so glad i did. I will never stay anyway else in LA again. The rooms are big, recently and tastefully redecorated, great free internet in room, 1000s of TV channels, super clean, good location in mid-town, great staff , free parking and all this for a totally amazing price. Easily competed with some rooms i'd paid $200 elsewhere. Not 5 star at all but for the price impossible to beat i'd imagine. You'd be crazy to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank DominicAuckland
Thank you for the kind remarks. We look forward to seeing you again.