“Absolutely Discusting”

Ranked #138 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
Tampa, Florida
“Absolutely Discusting”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Warning if you like a clean place to stay, dont stay here. Ive stayed at hundreds of places all over the country. I dont mind out dated hotels or even hotels that are run down just as long as they're clean. We got to the room and there was garbage on the desk and night stand then when we looked in the bed there was pubic hair and head hair all over the bed. it looked as if the maid was too lazy to wash the sheets and just remade the bed. We went back to the front desk and told the "young kid" working the situation and he gave us a new room and stated "this room is clean, i checked it myself" so we get to the room and by the looks of the room its clean until you walk up to the bed and of course the same story, pubic hair and head hair every where. We didnt even bother going back to the front desk we just left and i called my credit card company and distputed the charge.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Chris R
ShelterGM, General Manager at Shelter Hotels Los Angeles, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
I am so very sorry to hear about your experience. We take pride in the ability to provide an affordable, clean and safe experience while staying in Los Angeles. Clearly, we fell short. Housekeeping has been made aware of the siuation and have implemented fail safes so that this does not happen again. Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Montréal
Reviewed April 17, 2013

The area is nice, close the metro station Wilshire Normandie, Mc Donalds, Starbucks, Coffee Bean, and others. The room is huge, really, with a king size bed. It's beautiful too. This hotel is really casual and friendly. The staff is young but they care. They watch my luggage after check-out because my plane was leaving at 11pm and I wanted to visit during the afternoon. They have a pool, and no rules, cuz it's so friendly! They told me: there is no schedule for the pool, just be quiet after 11pm.

I would go back. The only thing is the price, that was a tiny bit too high for what you get.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Médérick A
Thank you for the kind words. WE apprecieate you staying with us.
San Francisco, CA USA
Reviewed April 1, 2013

It's not a name I would have picked for a hotel that is trying for maybe a lower end boutique feel, but it has some pluses that make it worthwhile.

The Pluses: good location surrounded by residential blocks, but close to restaurants, retail, entertainment (Wiltern). Modern, minimalist decorating. High-end plumbing fixtures and tile in bathroom. Friendly desk person(s). Big, empty refrigerator for your use in the room. Nice hardwood flooring. It may be laminate, but it is good quality and looks good. I had a corner unit on the upper floor; I heard no noise from other guests. Room had a nice sized desk and chair.

The In-between: Free wifi or wired internet (but not very fast, about 1 Mbps), free parking, but not enough spaces for everyone, so some will have to double park and leave the key with the person at the desk. After midnight, you'll need to call to have them open the garage door. Street parking may be an option, but it isn't easy to find a space nearby. While the king sized bed was comfortable, the pillows could use an upgrade to something better than shredded foam rubber chunk stuffing.

The Minuses: no in-room safe; shower water pressure too restricted; bathtub that drained slllowwwwly. While the bed and sheets seemed clean, lifting up the rug quickly revealed how well the room is cleaned. There were stains on the wall (from spilled coffee and other innocent things) that could easily have been wiped off, but weren't.

Reading the reviews, it seems like they have been renovating the property for a while. They still aren't finished as I heard construction noise (power tools) when I was checking in on a Saturday afternoon. As others have mentioned, it's an old apartment building that has been converted. In many ways, it still felt like an old apartment building when in the hallway, so the transformation still has a way to go.

For the price, I think it exceeds what you can get at competing hotels nearby. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank absf
Newtownabbey, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

The hotel looks to be a block of apartments which has been remodelled. The neighbourhood is a bit dodgy to say the least. As we pulled up, the neighbours stopped and stared, didn't feel at all safe.

At checkin (which was a desk in the corner of an empty room) we waited for a member of staff to appear, he eventually arrived and give us room keys and the wifi key. When I couldn't make out his handwriting and asked him what it said, he was very rude and spoke to me slowly like a was a child or hard of hearing.

We went up to our room, noticed that you could enter in off the street to the lift and therefore the corridor- not very secure.

Our room keys don't work, so went back to the 'lobby'. The same guy was rude and made us wait 5 mins while he finished off something else. We wandered off to look around the lobby and pick up leaflets. He re swiped the room cards and then slapped them onto the table, called us over and then pranced away. I say pranced because this guy was a total diva with an attitude to match! Someone should tell him he's hardly living the high life and to adjust his attitude.

The rooms had a horribly stuffy smell, like mould and heat..

When the prancing diva came back up to fix our TV, he rolled his eyes at me because I couldn't get it to work to first time.

The chain lock had been ripped off the door, there was a hole in the wall (hidden by a padded chair) and the sheets were badly stained. The floor was chipped and missing parts and the walls were kicked and smeared with something (don't know what and didn't want to find out.)

The rooms are sparce and are in real need of a paint job and some bleach.

We sat in shock for five minutes and then decided we weren't staying there (it really was that bad).

Our room overlooked apartments with metal railings over the windows and rubbish everywhere. The neighbourhood looked like the LAPD were never out of it, graffiti and gang tags over the sides of buildings (including this hotel).

I went to reception to explain that we were leaving and to hand in the room cards. I got another roll of the eyes and a tut, he asked what the problem was and I told him about the state of the room. He replied by arguing with me.

(The booking was made on the hotels website and not paid for advance) I told him that we'd not touched anything in the room and it was exactly as we found it, should he want to rebook it for the night for someone else, he smirked and said that it was too late to fill the room and it was now a room they couldn't use thanks to us.

Thank goodness we didn't have to pay a penny, we added about $30 to the original $100 and stayed in the four star Sheraton Gateway.

We had a narrow escape and i'm glad we spent a few extra dollars and stayed in a decent & safe hotel with accommodating staff.

I cannot emphasise how much of a joke that guy was, his customer service skills are non existent and he has a bad attitude, definitely not the type of person to be working in the hospitality sector!!

In summary, it's a dive of a place, with bad staff and in a terrible area! If you dot need to stay in the city, stay about 10 miles away, out at LAX Airport.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank ellie1701

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Beautiful to look at - but: no air (extremely stuffy room), no hot water, no water pressure, no service, and be sure to tip -- also: a shawl instead of a blanket (and a sheet, okay, a bed sheet. Props for that.) - no response to repeated requests for help w/the A/C. "Someone else must be using it. You wait."
-But: there was a great Thai restaurant down the block, so it's not "terrible," just "poor."

Room Tip: No idea. Go to another hotel?
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
wleasure
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Came for a concert at the Wiltern on a Friday night. Hotel appears to have been an old apartment complex, but was in a cool little area. No frills, but clean and safe. Plus, free parking and no stupid resort fees. Probably 7 blocks from the Wiltern. Would recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

We booked a room here to attend a L.A. Kings hockey game as it is only 2.6 miles from Staples Center. What a bargain! For starters, the location is great. Upon arrival ... wait for it ... FREE AND SAFE UNDERGROUND PARKING!! That is a rarity in itself in L.A. The hotel management staff (Jason and Jessica) are super helpful and offered "anything you need just phone us by dialing '0' " and they meant it (ice, hair dryer, extra towels). Our room was large with a huge bed, bathrooms were great with nice bath/shower and new updated sinks. TV had Direct TV with hundreds of channels which was awesome. Easy walk to stores, shops and restaurants, an the LA. subway system but we had the front desk just call us a cab which showed up within 5 minutes. Overall I would rate this hotel a thumb up and will def stay here again. It's not a full service pamper you kind of hotel, but I don't need that and don't need to pay the high price for it. This is a nice, safe, friendly, clean place to stay and that is what is important to me.

• Stayed March 2013