“Awesome hotel”
Review of W Hollywood

W Hollywood
Ranked #73 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed January 23, 2011

I stayed at the W for work for a few nights in January. This was my second stay. The first was a year ago, when the hotel first opened, and it was a bit disastrous because the hotel was still getting its kinks out. I decided to give it another try, and am very happy that I did. This second stay was phenomenal and far exceeded all my expectations. The room was fabulous and very relaxing, which was great after a long day of work. It was very quiet at night, so I could sleep easily and very comfortably in the great bed. The amenities were great. The pool is gorgeous and the Bliss products are my favorite. The staff was uniformly friendly, courteous, and extremely helpful. My car was always ready when I called for it, the front desk staff and concierge were great, and the W Insider was very helpful in getting us into the club, which is not run by the hotel. I hope to come back soon, and would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
alyskie, Guest Relations Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2011

Thank you so much for giving us a second shot! Thanks to feedback like yours, we have been able to continue to improve the experience of our guests! We're thrilled to hear your return visit was wonderful! Thank you for taking the time to share your second stay and for acknowledging the hard work of our amazing talent! We hope you'll come back for a third visit soon! Warmest, Alyssa Kiefer, W Hollywood

There are newer reviews for W Hollywood

Reviewed January 18, 2011

The decor is funky but reminiscent of Ikea, the vibe... seems like someone is trying a bit too hard. We had a view of a parking lot. The patio outside is relaxing.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2011

This is a beautiful hotel and centrally located to all things Hollywood but it truthfully is not a good hotel for the business traveler. I was quite disappointed in the $14.95 + tax a day internet charge. I'm sure most hotels have a fee but $14.95 a day is quite ridiculous. I stayed at the Hollywood location for a week and I wonder what happened to sound proof or sound reduction windows. You can hear EVERYTHING. I was on the fourth floor facing the parking lot and all night, I could hear the cab drivers talking and laughing. You can hear every word a person said while walking down the hall, no matter how soft they spoke. The room was very nice but I must complain about the shower and the overall lighting of the room. I'm sure the reason why they opted for a frosted glass panel in the bathroom is to allow for more light to enter the bathroom but if you have someone sharing your room, they will certainly wake up from the light shining through the shower. I'm sure they could put a shade or something in there to avoid this. Also, the bathrooms really don't provide that much privacy, you can hear everything going on in there too. Overall the hotel is just loud. Another disappointment is the mood lighting. My room was soooo dark, even with all the lights turned on it was just dim. I called it mood lighting but when your putting on make up or just want to get a good view of your outfit, that dim lighting simply makes it difficult. If you are looking for a place close to Hollywood, this hotel is sufficient just be aware that you may run into exclusive parties that result in you flashing your room key to gain entrance into the hotel. One major positive is the roof of this hotel. It's very beautiful with it's canopy beds and splash pool.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 10, 2011

We stayed at the W because it had a central location with a metro station underneath the hotel. This was great as it allowed us easy access anywhere we wanted to go. Unfortunately, the hotel itself was a letdown. It is very young and hip, and we just weren't cool enough for this hotel. The rooms are lovely, but we had a few difficulties which did not get addressed in a timely manner. We also returned late one afternoon to change for dinner and our room was not made up yet--had to ask at the front desk. The reply was, "Oh, do you still want it done?" The security thing is weird and makes you feel like you don't want to leave the hotel at night as they are so suspicious of you. If you have a hotel passkey, how many times do you need to show it? Also, we could not get in any of the doors except the main door even after showing our passkey to security--apparently these are locked down. On a cold rainy night, it was really annoying to have to walk around the block to get into the hotel. Also, be prepared to pay a surcharge for just about everything from water to internet access.

If you are cool and hip and don't plan to leave the hotel at night, this is a great place for you. The metro close by is a huge plus but not enough for me to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
w_hollywood_10, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2011

I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your experience here. We work very hard to curate every guest stay and it pains me to see you felt out of place. Rest assured I will review your comments with my team. We do have a fair amount of security in place, particularly on the weekends. Because of the popularity of the hotel we find it important to have protocols in place as guest safety is our #1 priority. I would beg you consider giving us a second chance and allowing me to make a reservation for you. I promise you'll leave feeling WOW'd.

Kind regards -

Reviewed January 7, 2011

Pros: Very nice upgrade into a beautiful suite- thank you for that

Negative: No matter how nice a place you stay @, room, hotel, etc- the service and treatment of staff can ruin the whole trip. I have stayed an many W's as a Platinum member and 9/10 enjoy my stay and have had an amazing time. This was that 1 in 10 time.

This W Hollywood almost ruined my taste of SPG. I am a 30 year old young professional that am pretty amiable to whatever scene I am in- but for some reason the staff at W Hollywood thought they were better then anyone, infact I was told to leave my seat in the "Living Room" because if it was reserved for I'm assuming more important people- I mean c'mon it's a freakin Hotel Lobby- if they wanted me to buy a bottle- that could of been done easily. Anyways, Drai's of Hollywood was closed in which Chris Nelson, the W Insider, said he would get me and my sister in and it ruined our whole evening plans, I had to have a argument with matthew, the front desk manager who was trying to offer me free points (who cares) my experience was already ruined. Then as I was trying to get up to my room security thought I was trying to sneak into the hotel? Please- this is what I recommend to future SPG travelers- if you want a nice stay, stay at the SLS Beverly Hills, or if you want better treatment stay any other hotel, Westin, Aloft, Sheraton, believe me- i can tolerate attitude, but not from people who are wanna be actors and think they are better then everyone.

I have never had one bad think to say about any of the W's I have been to several thru out the country- this one outdid itself and I'll think again the next time I hit up L.A.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Btw120
w_hollywood_10, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2011

Please accept my most sincere apology that your experience did not meet your expectations. I take feedback like this very seriously and will certainly speak with my team about it. The only night of the week that the Living Room has reserved seating is on Sunday, due to the increasingly popular jazz series held there. However, hotel guests are always given priority and it should have been made clear to you so a table could have been set aside. Although Drai's Nightclub is located in the same building as the hotel, they are a separate business entity. As such, we have little control over the operation there. The night in question was the Sunday following New Year's and at the last minute they decided to close as the city was pretty quiet. I am sorry, though - and please believe that we were as surprised as you were. I truly hope you would reconsider a return visit - and simply reach out to me when you do. I can promise that you'll leave feeling happy. I do agree that the SLS Beverly Hills is a fantastic property and you should also try our sister W, located in Westwood. Please contact me with any further questions, comments, or concerns. Meantime, I wish you a very Happy New Year.

Reviewed January 7, 2011

I'm a big fan of W hotels as I work in the event field so I am often in and out of hotels during the weekends working on projects but this was the first one that I actually stayed in. I liked the decor which is fabulous. The front desk service was very good. I was lucky to stay on SPG cash and points so you cannot complain. It was a fabulous deal.

I liked the restaurant in the hotel called Delfina or something like that. The breakfast was good. When you stay in a nice hotel you know that the food and anemiites aren't going to be "cheap" so I found the restaurant food very good. We had a lovely brunch and because it was lunch time, the hotel had a "card" for a dessert which the host gave me and it was fabulous.

Having the SPG card is great when you stay at the Starwood property because we received a gift of 2 small bottles of fiji water a day which was nice. There was coffee in the morning also complimentary. Though we didn't use it, there was a 1 time car service with Acura or something like that. Quite nice.

The area isn't what I had hoped but then again, I never stayed in Hollywood. We did walk around but mainly LA is a driving town. If you do drive, the car valet is almost $40 a day which is typical but to me that's like 2 nice cocktails so for 5 nights, the $200 not including all the tips was as bit of a sole point but that is typical and I only wish there was a self park option but we were told there was not.

The roof top pool is awesome. Even though it was December we did lay out. We were there was one lovely couple and it felt like we owned the world. The design looks like something you would see in the TV show Entourage....all cool. I do have photos but I don't have time to post but it really is a nicely designed space.

One strange thing I noticed...we don't get our shampoo or soap replaced. I think its all part of the green movement but it's so embarrassing to call the front desk to request soap, shampoo, etc. I wish they would just give it to you.

And lastly, I love the closet with the automatic light. The nice dryer in the room, and the built in tv. There is a small mini bar and we actually never do this but one night we just "went" for it and splurged. It was fun. The bed is low but quite nice. Must say - great place.

And I won't ruin it but when you get on the elevator - notice the changing greeting of the carpets. It's cute.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for the detailed review! It seems you had a great experience and I will be certain to share your comments with our Talent. (I am not sure what happened with your bath products, but I'll certainly speak with my Director of Style) This really is a special hotel and the fact that we're located in a city where so many dreams come true makes it all that much more magic. Please come see us again soon.

Kind regards -

Reviewed January 2, 2011

This is nice W hotel with a very spacious lobby area and the facilities were very good as at the time I stayed, it had only been open a few months.

The staff were friendly and helpful although my impression was that they did not really have enough people working there. The General Manager was fantastic. I saw him everywhere during my stay, from chatting to guests around the pool to meeting people in the lobby and thought that he set a great example to the other staff there.

Unfortunately there was a downside and that was that my room was above the nightclub which although I never went to, I felt that I was there every night until at least 3am.... I'm too old for that now!

Overall a very good hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business