“Gorgeous hotel!”

Ranked #70 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
Oslo, Norway
“Gorgeous hotel!”
Reviewed July 18, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here while in LA early July. We got a good deal on hotwire.

The room was very nice. Its minimalistic and we like that style. The bed was very, very comfy. But our sleep was interrupted by slamming of doors but it wasnt too bad. Its was only one night I think. The staff were all very polite and welcoming, but having to get past several people to get in at night time does seem a bit strange and pretentious :)

The parking was quite expensive, but I guess thats how it is in LA. The valet service was very fast so that was good. We paid for internet one day but the connection was super, super slow so it hardly worked at all. We mentioned this at check out and we didnt have to pay for the charge.

The rooftop pool looked great as well. But we weren't able to use it because all the loungers and sofas were booked when we got there. The view and food was very nice. Breakfast at Delphine's was also very good!

I would recommend this hotel if you want a nice hotel and feel the LA vibe.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lismell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 17, 2010

My fiance and I stayed here in April as we were attending a wedding in LA. The bride to be recommended this hotel and was able to get a "wedding rate" for us. The rooms are very modern and minimalistic. Not really my style, but it was nice. We had a room on a low floor and did not hear any music or noise at all on our stay. Since we had a low rate, we had no view - no big deal. There was no bathtub - only a shower (fiance likes to take baths). My only real complaint about our room is that we came back one day at about 4:30 and the room was still not clean. We needed to get ready for the wedding and I was hoping that the room would have been cleaned already. We did eat at Drai's one night for dinner (we are not club people, so went early for dinner). The view is FANTASTIC! Everyone should at least check out the view. We did see Ryan O'Neal eating dinner there as well that night. We rented a car, but the bride-to-be did recommend this hotel since there is a Metro stop right by it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank fsufan
alyskie, Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, July 22, 2010
Well hello there! Thank you for your review! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your W Hollywood experience and all the amenities we have to offer here on property! We apologize that your room was not styled by the time you returned to get ready for the wedding. We hope to have the chance to welcome you again and would be happy to request a specific styling time on your behalf to avoid the same frustration. Warmest Wishes, Alyssa Kiefer, W Hollywood
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 16, 2010

I stayed at the W Hollywood for several nights for Business in April, 2010. I had some hesitation booking, after reading some of the reviews about the rude staff etc... However, after spending several nights, I couldn't disagree more with the bad reviews.

Upon check in, I was greeted by a friendly host at the front desk. While I wasn't offered an upgrade for my Gold Starwood status, I was placed in a good sized room with a driveway view. I was a little disappointed by the view, but very impressed by the room. Everything was fresh, new, clean, and very chic. The bathroom was clean, well apportioned. The big screen TV and charger with adaptors was a nice touch. The room was very quiet and I slept well on a so-so comfortable bed.

The gym was large, with all of equipment that you need for a workout. There was a large stretch room with amazing views of the city and Hollywood Hills.

The lobby of the hotel, and adjacent lounge area was spectacular. I enjoyed drinks several evenings on the outdoor bar/lounge area with out door fire pits and comfortable lounge furniture. The bar tenders were friendly and the drinks were decent, with prices that I'd expect at this type of venue.

I was a little disappointed that one evening when I tried to get up to the upstairs lounge/bar, I was told that I wasn't on the list. Apparently the hotel throws some private parties, which means you have to be VIP (which I'm not) to get in.

On my check out, I was greeted by a manager who promptly assigned a desk attendant to handle my check out.

The valet parking was expensive, but I was able to self park in the lot directly across the street for $20/night, with in/out privileges.

I'm not afraid to write a critical review, but I can honestly say that my stay at the W Hollywood was a pleasure. As long as you don't expect to roll in and be treated like a star (when you're not), then you'll be fine. I was treated professionally, and thought the accommodations were excellent.

Pros:
Clean
New
Fresh
Exciting
Chic
Friendly Staff
Very cool ambiance

Cons
Expensive parking
Some areas are for VIP only

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank TravelThat
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I actually thought the room was pretty nice and comfortable, but the service is just god awful.

The biggest selling point of the place -- the rooftop pool -- closes down at 6:00 p.m. for use by Drai's dinner service. Also, on weekends the pool is completely mobbed by what i would have assumed to be a Jersey Shore crowd if I wasn't in LA and the pounding 90's trance techno music. Seriously there is no area reserved for hotel guests.

Other negatives: had to call at 5 pm to have room made up despite being out all day; rude bouncers at every turn; loud at all times; exterior looks like a Hampton Inn.

To sum up: if you don't want a party hotel, don't go; if you do, go to the Roosevelt it is much better.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
6 Thank TylerBT
w_hollywood_10, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, July 17, 2010
Please accept my apologies that your stay did not meet expectations. We really try to create a unique environment for all of our guests and clearly we missed in this case. We are very popular on the weekends, but hotel guests always have first dibs on chaise lounges, day beds, and cabanas at our Wet Deck. (We even reserve one complimentary cabana for our Starwood Preferred Guests) Our W Insider is only too happy to set up reservations in venues such as Drai's Nightclub, Station Hollywood, or our restaurant, Delphine. Additionally, we recently expanded our pool operating hours until 7 pm each evening. Please consider returning, and if you'd like, contact me directly to discuss this further. I wish you a pleasant remainder to your weekend.

Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed July 14, 2010

This was our second stay @ the W Hollywood. Loved it again! The location is cloase to everything we like to get into in hollywood. The rooms are super comfy, yet still great style. Chris greeted us while waiting to check in, assisted us in locating the music venue we heading to (close by) and helped us up to drai's. It was the first time we tried drai's...pretty fun aside from one kinda snotty guy bartender. Also the first time we did afternoon cocktails/lunch/music by pool. DO this!!! Brian in security is a prince and the bartenders in the outdoor bar downstairs are sweethearts as well. Thanks W, see you soon!

• Stayed May 2010
2 Thank christinasb
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 13, 2010

when we arrived we wanted to park in the valet parking. First they forgot to give us the valet ticket for our car. There was no service to get your luggage inside offered. When we got in, carrying all our luggage, they told us our room was not ready yet and we had to wait for over an hour. No service was offered like a drink or so.
We walked for one hour in the neigbourhood and after that we wanted to get back in the hotel. But the security man at the door would not let us get in because we didnt have our room keys yet.... So we had to walk another half block to the other entrance.
Again we had to wait almost 30 minutes for the check in desk until we got our room keys, then we asked for our luggage that had been placed in the luggage room. They said they forgot to label our luggage and didn't knew what luggage was ours, so we had to get in the luggage room ourselves to search for our bags and then take it to our rooms ourselves!
Incredible bad service for a 4* hotel!
When we arrived at our room we were pleasantly surprised, very nice large room with very trendy furniture and decoration. We found it a bit odd that you had to pay extra for everything in the room, up to 9$ for a bottle of water.
That night there were 2 parties in the hotel, one on the roof near the pool, and another one in the lounge, just beneath our window. It went on until 4 am with very loud music, and because of that very bad sleep.
The following day we made a trip to warner bros (very nice) and when we came back, the elevator didn't respond to our room keys. When another friendly guest helped us to get to our floor, we noticed that our room keys were totally not working anymore. So again back to reception and got new keys.
Fortunately second night less noise!
When we checked out we discussed all of our problems, and we got the costs for the valet parking creditted.
Yesterday we arrived home after our trip and saw that the hotel did charge our CC.
Concluding: when you want to go to a trendy hotel with a lot of parties and less sleep, and you have lots of money, go to the W. When you want a comfortable night of sleep in a good 4* hotel, think twice!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank evz32
w_hollywood_10, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, July 13, 2010
Please accept my profound apology that your experience was not amazing from start to finish. Although the property is quite popular, hotel guests always take priority. You may be certain that I will share your comments with the appropriate personnel. Meantime, I would welcome the chance to speak with you personally. Please contact me at your convenience.

Warm regards -

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2010

Promised great things from this hotel, the theme is whatever/whenever and even if your prepared to pay for it, its not available.
If you want to live/eat/sleep in a nightclub this is the place for you, however the quality and sophistication is severely lacking.
The rooms are clean and minimal, I stayed in a "wonderful' room and there was very little wonderful about it.
If your stay is all about night life and you're prepared t pay substantially extra, over the room price for it , as opposed to a comfortable hotel this is the place for you.
I wont stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
w_hollywood_10, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, July 12, 2010
I am so sorry we did not meet your expectations. May I ask that you contact me directly at the hotel? I'd like to be able to better understand where we failed to deliver on our service promise. Thanks so much, and have a good week.