“Excellent Service and Fun Hotel!”
Review of W Hollywood

W Hollywood
Ranked #70 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Excellent Service and Fun Hotel!”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at the W Hollywood. I am a loyal SPG Gold member and always stay at an SPG property if possible. The W Hollywood was perfect for us as we love hotels with a “chic” feel and that have a younger, more lively crowd with great nightlife right on property. From the moment I made the reservation to the time we left, the customer service was excellent! There was a little issue with my original reservation, but Christina and Paola took care of it immediately and with such great communication. Check-in was just more of the same great service. I had mentioned in an email with Paola that my husband and I were celebrating our anniversary. At check-in, we were upgraded to a Cool Corner King and shortly after we got to our room, we had a delivery of a bottle of champagne and a cheese plate. The room was perfect! Large and with a perfect view of the Hollywood sign. The rooftop pool was great! A nice place to relax in the morning with a couple mimosas before heading out to explore the city. We also were able to enjoy the outdoor bar area with some friends for a couple drinks before going out to dinner. We used the valet and would call before we left our room. Our car was always waiting for us by the time we got down there and again, with great service from the valet staff. We can’t wait to come back to LA and to the W Hollywood!

Green Features: We chose to "Go Green" and not have room-service. We usually don't have our room cleaned every day anyway and we got SPG Starpoints for it too.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Leon Y, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Hello!

Happy Anniversary to you and your husband! We love celebrating with our guests! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your upgrade and champagne at arrival! Helping you with your reservation with our pleasure - anything to make your stay more enjoyable. On your next visit, allow us to connect with our Insider Chris. He'd be glad to show you around to his favorite spots.

See you next time,
Alexa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 1, 2014

I stayed here in May 2014 for 12 days for a business trip. I decided to try a new hotel and new location of LA to change things up.

I really liked the W Hotel and the entire hotel was pristine, modern and the rooms were very nice. The bed was very comfortable and I liked that Bliss products were available in the bathroom. The fitness center on the upper floor was also nice and it was great to work out to a nice view of the Hollywood Hills.

The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the location in Hollywood. There's nothing that the W could do about the fact that seedy guys would cat-call at me when I was walking down the street to find a place to eat. I learned quickly to stay within a one block radius of the hotel or grab your car from valet parking and venture out elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Jennifer M
Leon Y, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for checking us out on your recent trip. We are in a perfect location for exploring many of Los Angeles' popular attractions. If you need any recommendations, allow us to connect you with our Insider Chris Nelson. He would be glad to show you around town. While you're right that we can't control what happens outside our hotel, I can assure you that our security team takes every measure necessary to ensure our guests feel comfortable. I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Alameda, CA
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I needed a hotel for the night near a gig. I called the hotel directly and the rate they quoted me was significantly higher than the hotels.com rate, so I pulled over, booked on my phone, and checked in. There were all these "be quiet and respectful at night!" signs, and I thought… how nice! I should have thought "maybe when I get back at 11 and just want a quiet drink at the bar the place will have a velvet rope and a dj and be full of obnoxious club kids". Didn't anticipate that. Perhaps I should have? Anyway… the room was (eventually) quiet, though a significant portion of the issues come from the fact that the walls are apparently made of tissue paper and I felt bad for the person on the other side; I heard them come in and knew they were trying to be quiet but could hear every noise.

Hotel was clean, staff were delightful, and I would stay again; away from the elevator. Room service was good and bed was W-style *amazing*.

Perhaps it's quieter during the week; I just really like a quiet drink at a nice hotel bar. This bar looked lovely and I was looking forward to it. Ah, well.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Phreddiva
Leon Y, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Hello,

We are a very lively hotel, but make sure that it is quiet on all guest floors. That being said, you can sometimes hear music from Station Hollywood and The Living Room depending on the location of your room. I'm glad you found your stay to be comfortable and our service friendly. If you are looking for a quiet place to grab a drink, please reach out to our Insider Chris. He would be glad to give you a few recommendations.

Palm Springs, California
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel a few times over the years Requested early check in at noon and all was ready for us at reception.Very friendly staff.Quick change and hit the rooftop pool as usual.Gone since our last visit was Drai's independent management of rooftop pool and bar.This is now far better than it was for hotel guests.Chris Nelson is still the 'W' insider running this area and doing a great job. 4 bar stools on quieter times would be a nice addition for those of us that don't want to sit in the sun and just people watch. Lots of new staff in training at this area .Ate downstairs in both areas and found the food and service good. Friday and Saturday nights are lively on premises and a big screen outside plays high energy music.Street noise from the rooms are well muffled.Mornings we walked Hollywood Blvd for the Hollywood feel..always different Room rates were mid range.We will be back before end of summer.

Room Tip: The higher floor the better...for view and quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PALMSPRINGSCOUPLE48
Shanghai, China
Reviewed May 27, 2014

My first time in la was a dream. Fantastic hotel, fantastic location, unbelievable room, perfect service. What else can you expect? Just because of this hotel i put los angeles into my holiday schedule in 2015 again. We had a suite with my family and it was not like a hotel room, perfectly designed to feel at home.

• Stayed February 2014
Leon Y, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Hello,

I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will be coming for another visit soon. Our talent always ensures each of our guests has a memorable experience when with us. On your next trip out, stop in for Sunday Jazz. The performance in The Living Room is not one you will want to miss.

See you soon,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2014

This is a real buzzing and hip hotel, right in the centre of Hollywood! This is exactly where you need to be when staying for night-life and entertainment in LA.

The hotel itself has a large grand Living Room with a bar serving some of the tastiest cocktails. The Living Room has free WiFi and is the perfect place to chill out at any time. The hotel does have a small business centre but I chose to plug-in in the Living Room because I could not get enough! Just outside the Living Room is a beautiful terrace bar - I would have chosen to do my work out here but there was no WiFi connection. The hotel also features a cosy rooftop pool and bar with large cabanas, beds and sun beds - I spent the whole day Sunday relaxing up here with friends over cocktails and it was the highlight to my trip. Other facilities in the hotel include event and conference rooms and a gym. The gym has all the cardio machines that you need, however, it was lacking slightly in free-weights and free-exercise equipment.

We stayed in a Spectacular Suite and this really was an amazing open-plan room, with large glass windows all around, and a perfect view of the Hollywood sign! With heaps of natural daylight, bring white décor and light grey marble finished bathroom, this suite was the perfect place to start and end each day in Hollywood! For those who do not enjoy the natural daylight there are black out blinds that appears at the flick of a switch.

It appeared that the general theme for this hotel was cool red - there was a lot of bright red décor and it worked! Generally speaking this is a very cool and stylish hotel; its relaxing during the day and lively in the evening, yet there are quieter places to disappear to like the business centre and other seating areas.

Not sure if I would stay at the W Hollywood with young children. I wouldn't say it's not a child-friendly hotel, it' just the majority of guests are either travelling on business, looking to party in LA, couples of groups of friends. That said, there was a mother with a baby in the pool on Sunday and they both had a great time with us!

If I visit LA again this is the only hotel I will be staying at. I always pick a favourite feature of every hotel I review... For the W Hollywood it has to be the rooftop pool and bar. I could sit up there all day every day, although I would be tempted to find out what was going on downstairs once in a while.

Room Tip: The Suite we stayed in was street facing - this is the ideal view of Hollywood and the sign. Any oth...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Chicago
Reviewed May 25, 2014

I stayed here for four nights on a work trip. I really really liked it. Very stylish and sleep without overdoing it. The staff was excellent - friendly, remembered me, helpful when needed. The room was very clean. Most important is that it was quiet. Obviously there's some luck in that I didn't have noisy people near me as well, but I think the hotel contributes to that significantly. Rooftop pool is awesome. Nothing negative to say...I was on 5th floor facing west. I am guessing if you are on 7th floor and higher on the same side you'd see the Hollywood sign but as it was I was happy for a nice view out and could see the observatory and Hollywood Blvd. Highly recommend and thank them for the nice stay. I love sleeping well when I'm away!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Leon Y, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Hello!

It was a pleasure to have you! We always like to ensure our guests have a comfortable stay when they are with us. Feeling well rested and taken care of is our specialty. Our higher floor rooms do have views of the Hollywood sign, but head up to WET and you can check out the entire skyline with a cocktail.

I hope to see you back soon.