“Enjoy the Finer Things”

Ranked #68 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Cohoes, New York
“Enjoy the Finer Things”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

We were thoroughly impressed with this property. Our experience started with a very helpful and pleasant young woman at the desk. Check-in wasn't until 3, but since there was a room available at 2 when we got there, we got right in. We liked the security of having to enter a key in the elevator to get to our floor.

I am fairly certain we just had a standard room. While modest in size, it certainly had all the amenities needed, including an iron and ironing board. It was very clean! Bed was extremely comfortable and loved the pillows! We were concerned about facing the bar and outside sitting area since we were only on the third floor, but we didn't hear excessive noise, or anything for that matter. We had several questions while there and every time I would call the front desk they addressed me by our name and were ALWAYS patient, friendly and extremely helpful.

The only reason I gave it a "very good" instead of "excellent" is because we were charged for something in the mini-bar that we did not take after we checked out. HOWEVER, when I did call and tell them we did not take anything, they were quick to reverse the charge ($11+) and were apologetic. Make sure you check your your invoice after your check out.

We visited as a winner of a free trip, but if it fit into my budget and we went back to LA, we would most certainly stay here!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 14, 2014

If staying in West Hollywood this is a great choice. Fantastic location, very relaxed style with tremendous service. The rooms are large and well appointed. From the moment you arrive you are well looked after. The roof top terrace is fantastic!! The party scene here adds to the flavour of the place...but not toally over the top. A very sexy boutique hotel for a unique LA/West Hollywood experience. Highly recommend it!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Aussie-BeachBumsX2
Mandeville, United States
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Don't waste your money-this place is a dump. Poor management that doesn't care about the customers. Music was playing until 1am and they close the lounge to guests when they have events. I can't believe they put the W name on this dive.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Lynn D
Leon Y, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Hi Susan,

I assure you that each of our managers holds our guests comfort in very high regard. We always go out of our way to ensure each stay meets W Hotels' high service standards. It is true that we are a high energy hotel with live performances throughout the week, but we do our best to keep guest rooms quiet. If there is a private event in Station Hollywood or The Living Room we will close the space to our guests, but are glad to offer an alternative. If you need recommendations for a place nearby, our concierge would be glad to help you. I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Best,
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I attended a charity event at the W Hotel on Saturday May 3. I am very anal about my car, I never valet it, however there is very little parking in Hollywood, I had no choice. The next day I went to get my sunglasses out of my armrest and I noticed that my Surefire flashlight was gone. With 100% certainty it was there when I gave my car to valet.

I immediately emailed General Manager Leon Young and followed up with a call to his office on Monday May 5. I spoke with Sabbrina Newton who shoved me off to Cory Shilcock who handles the valet for the hotel. At first it seemed like Cory was going to review the video footage and conduct an investigation but then he emailed me a claim form that I completed. Once I completed the claim form, I was basically told to take a number and wait for someone to get back to you.

I understand the risks associated with valeting a car however when you go to a 5 Star Hotel you expect your valuables to be safe and you also expect that the hotel would go the extra mile to make sure their customers are happy.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank AlwaysGl0beTr0tting
Leon Y, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Hello,

We have reached out to you regarding your theft claim and are waiting to hear back from you. We take the security of our guests belongings very seriously and are conducting a thorough investigation of our claim. If you require further assistance, please reach out to me directly at GMLeon.Young@whotels.com.

Best,
United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2014

The hotel was great, the rooms fantastic, clean and very good on the eyes!
Little trick to get free wi-fi is to go login at the bar (or even the lobby) where it is advertised as free, once you're in you get a roaming code, this works when you get back to the room and avoids the extortionate wi-fi charge (why some hotel's especially top notch ones still try to charge for wi-fi in 2014 is beyond me).
The only thing that really sucked about the hotel that I experienced was the location, it is on the outskirts of Hollywood on the corner of Hollywood/Vine, its really not in the middle of it all however there are a few nice shops on the side streets nearby and the door to the hotel is pretty much next to the entrance to the subway and at night there is a private security guard who stands in between and so it is pretty safe to get out and about and to explore the interesting and diverse city of LA.

Room Tip: Little trick to get free wi-fi is to go login at the bar (or even the lobby) where it is advertised...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank mctrip00000
Leon Y, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Hello!

I'm glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us. We are on the corner of Hollywood and Vine, but take a short walk and you are in the middle of it all. If you need some recommendations, connect with our Insider Chris. He'd be glad to show you around Hollywood. You'll have to check out WET during your next visit. The views are amazing and cocktails are even better.

See you soon,
Mold, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Loved this hotel.

When we arrived we were told that we had been upgraded which was great news, our room was huge with two beds and a massive bathroom, all white with a lovely window seat (not the greatest of views, but nice all the same) - the hotel had been advised that we were celebrating my birthday and had left a card, wine and chocolate in the room for me which was a lovely touch.

We had a late snack in the Lobby bar in the evening which was really nice, there was a live band playing outside who sounded great. The bar had a great atmosphere and was busy the whole time we were there. There was a new 'star' on the walk of fame whilst we were there, and although we hadn't actually heard of him, it was nice to see the party taking place during the afternoon.

We had a free afternoon which we spent on the roof by the pool, it wasn't too busy while we were there which suited us as we were able to get sunbeds easily. Had a lovely chilled bottle of prosecco while we sunbathed.

We found the hotel to be in a good central location and felt happy to walk along to the Chinese Theatre and along the Boulevard. It was good to see the distinctive 'W' when we were out on our travels of the neighbourhood.

Would definitely stay at this hotel again if we were to visit LA.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
NYC
Reviewed May 5, 2014

The reviews here for the most part of very accurate. Here is my summary:

- We booked this hotel because we had touring plans in Hollywood, and thought this was easy walking distance to the Hollywood & Highland area. It was not and we almost missed our tour as it was close to a 30 minute walk.

- This hotel is truly a chique party atmosphere with a very young staff and clientele and a very lounge type atmosphere. I suspected something was odd when there were party rules distributed at check-in.

- Rooftop pool is very nice.

- Rooms were very nicely equipped but my family and I do not enjoy the translucent shower where you can see through fogged glass from the room right into the shower area.

- The minibar has some very expensive stuff (over $200 bottle of alcohol) and it is not locked up. Be careful with the kids around1

- Was awoken in the middle of the night by a party a few doors down that was pouring into the hallway. Called the hotel desk and it took them at least 20 minutes to get someone up there to quiet it down.

Overall we generally had good service here, did NOT eat in the restaurant, had a good experience with check in and valet parking, but would not choose to stay here again given the location. There are a lot of street beggars right around the hotel and we felt uncomfortable walking around during the day, much less at night. And we are from NYC...where we are used to it to some degree but not as aggressive as they were here.

Room Tip: High floor facing the Hollywood sign
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family