“Central location with excellent gym for a Hollywood stay”
Review of W Hollywood

W Hollywood
Ranked #70 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
Boulder, Colorado
“Central location with excellent gym for a Hollywood stay”
Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

Right across from the Pantages Theater, the W is a hipster hotel that makes a great home base if you are exploring Hollywood and LA. The 11th floor gym is fantastic with plenty of equipment and a panoramic view of the surrounding area. The Sunday night jazz show in the lobby lounge provides some of the best people watching I have ever experienced and guarantees a fun night out without having to leave the building!

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank bernandpaul
Leon Y, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Hey there,

Our location is perfect for exploring all of Hollywood and LA. Reach out to our Insider, Chris, for even more recommendations on great places to see when you are with us. I'm glad to see you were able to take advantage of our great gym. The views are a definite plus.

Any opportunity you have to enjoy Sunday Jazz, take it. Nikki Leonti is a real talent. Get in early for a good seat - there might be a surprise guest performance.

See you soon,
Leon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lake Tahoe
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Had a meeting nearby so choose to check out this property. It is one of my last Starwoods to check off the list to stay at in S. Cal. Despite reviews of loud and obnoxious/bad business choice, the hotel was super quiet on a Tuesday night. Had a Marvelous Suite, which was large and a great choice over the small standard W rooms. Spotlessly clean and really nice soaking tub. Great layout and was really happy with the service/room. Room service was super fast and the Jidori Chicken was well cooked. W service is friendly and not obtrusive like some 5* can be IMHO. I don't find W service pretentious. They leave you alone. But if you need anything, its done immediately and without flaw. Gym is very nicely appointed. Also check for a AAA rate. It was just over $200 for my stay; less than my corporate rate.

Room Tip: Go for the suite if it's available and you can swing it.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank SPGwanderlust
Kenai, Alaska
Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

It's always a rough swap over coming in on the red eye from Alaska, but the staff does everything possible to make your stay as fun and memorable as possible. The list goes on and on of how the W Hollywood takes care of me. I had miss booked my trip and needed to stay an extra night Christian at the front desk was able to keep me in the same room. The stereo in our room wasn't working a new one was promptly brought up. Even small things like forgetting some toiletries, the Whatever whenever people are there for you!

The stay was so fun I'll be back in town this weekend for my birthday, this is my favorite hotel in Hollywood!

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Hey Chuck,

I'm glad we could take excellent care of you. There's no reason you can't enjoy yourself even getting off a red eye. Christian is a real asset to our team here. He will do everything he can to make your extended stay as simple as possible. Whatever/Whenever certainly do make traveling easier. If you forget anything during your upcoming stay, don't hesitate to ask.

See you soon,
São Paulo
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Stayed for 4 nights in the W Hollywood Hotel from 11/01 to 15/01/2014. Very good room, although thebed is too low on the floor and not so confortable. Shower has not power enough, spending more time to take a bath. I hate when 4 or 5* hotels charge for parking and wifi, nad the W is too expensive for both.
I had an issue in the check-in. Prepaid reservation, I tried 2 credit cards as every hotel needs, charging 500dollars, well, trying to charge - both of them where declined for no reason. I paid in cash the 500 and went up to the room. When I got to the room, I telephoned for both my credit cards to ask them whats was going on and told me that they didn't even had a request from the hotel. I went to the reception again and another receptionist helped me out. As my name is too big on the credit, their system has a bug and don't accept cards ??!?!?! but he called the american express and asked by phone if they could charge the US$500. he gave me back the cash. The two calls I did by me mobile phone to my credit cards back in brazil cost me US$ 50, as I passed my planned roaming package waiting to be attended.

Room Tip: ask for higher floors east view
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed January 27, 2014

There isn't really that much too say. You can sum it up with just one word: FANTASTIC! The service was incredible, everyone was so helpful. The restaurant Delphine was amazing. The rooms were not huge, but was very modern and cool. They were very clean. The location was also good. What was the only bad thing about the hotel, was that there wasn't free wifi in the rooms. But, I definitely recommend W Hotel 100%.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Hello!

Fantastic is one of my favorite things to hear. It sounds like you enjoyed every aspect of your stay. Our talent takes great pride in creating memorable stays for all of our guests. Anything you need, just ask. Delphine is a great spot to enjoy excellent food and service. You can bet you will always be well taken care of when you dine there. Thanks for the recommendation! See you again soon!

Best,
Shanghai, China
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Having been fortunate to travel around the world staying in allot of hotels (Starwood especially) its only when I stay W hollywood it gets the 5*
Last trip didnt start so well, landing in after a 12 hour flight to be told at midnight their were no more rooms, they had over booked and as we arrived at 11pm all rooms were gone and nothing they could do.
You might of thought this would leave a bad taste, however they managed to get us a room in the Sheraton in Universal and the next day we returned where they promise they'd look after us and so they did... they upgraded us to a fabulous Grand Suite, and possibly the best room in the hotel. Their recovery on this poor start was certainly well saved. Their managers especially the Reception Manager and staff were amazing.
A little pretentious - (it is Hollywood) but for me a MUST to stay on any LA visit. This was my 3rd visit here and my 4th will be again this summer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank bobobo308272
Stephens City, Virginia, United States
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Like other reviewers have mentioned, this hotel can be quite loud. We stayed on a Saturday night (which could be our own fault I guess) and the party downstairs went way into the wee hours of the morning. Once people got to their rooms, they seemed to eventually quite down, but not fast enough. The rooms are extremely modern and clean, and the bed was actually quite comfortable and gave me a great night of sleep.

After staying at the impressive Sofitel in Beverly Hills a few nights earlier, it made it even more clear here how disappointing the service actually was. The valet attendants weren't very friendly or respectful, and the front desk staff didn't seem to make any effort to make us feel special. I would compare the service at this W to that of a Holiday Inn Express - you're staying there, but they wouldn't really care if you stayed somewhere else.

I was hoping to be impressed at breakfast, but was let down again. Our server lacked basic people skills. I wouldn't call her unfriendly, but she wasn't nice. Then the kitchen got our order wrong and then failed to make it right. Our server seemed to not care at all.

Considering that we were staying at the glamorous W in Hollywood at the rate we were paying, I expected more from this stay, but in the end, it was an overall poor experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hello,

We are a very lively hotel and aren't for everyone. We do our best to ensure each of our guests are comfortable and are glad to make any adjustments to make your stay a great one. If you are having issues with noise for other guests, please give us a call and we will send security up immediately.

Our valet attendants are often complimented for their exceptional service. I am sorry to note this wasn't the case for your stay.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future and show you the level of service all of our talent is so well known for delivering.

Best Leon Y.