“Fine hotel, desk staff was great, restaurant and club staff was indifferent and unwelcoming”
Review of W Hollywood

W Hollywood
Ranked #72 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

This seems to be a W Hotel problem. Great facility, great desk staff, terrible restaurants. Service is poor and food is mediocre.

Dear Starwood, Im starting to avoid the W brand. Teach your staff to be warm and helpful please.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I've stayed at many Starwood hotels and this was the worst by far. First our room was messed up when we arrived, we were supposed to have a King bed, but instead 2 queen beds. The lobby was very outdated and all of the windows and glass doors were dirty. The outdoor lounge area was nice, but we could never find a seat. The first morning we went up to the pool and they had done nothing, I mean nothing to clean up from the previous night club. It was flithy. Another day we went to the pool and although the trash was not present the lounge beds were stained and disgusting...to lay down I put down 6 towels so that no part of me was touching it. No pool side staff...that could have just been the time of year (Early November). The location is nothing to brag over either. I would have much rather stayed away from the "touristy" area and stayed in West Hollywood. Staff was just fine, but never went out of their way or were particularly friendly. When you go away you want to feel special and pampered. This hotel failed terribly!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bsharkey17
Leon Y, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Hello,

We are a very lively hotel. It is not uncommon for there to be several events taking place throughout the day and night. We recommend arriving early to any of our venues. Station Hollywood and the Living Room are popular destinations for locals and guests alike.

I assure you any uncleanliness of the hotel is taken care of in a timely manner. If you ever find any aspect of the hotel in disarray, please don't hesitate to let us know while you are still with us and it will quickly be taken care of.

Many guests choose our hotel simply based on our location. We are in very close proximity to be many popular attractions, nightlife and dining. If you ever need a recommendation or would like help making a reservation, please reach out to us and we will make sure it is set it up for you.

All the best,
Leon Y.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 12, 2013

This is an absolutely gorgeous hotel, with a fantastic location. The service by all of their employees is outstanding. When I arrived with two of my bridesmaids the night before our wedding, the manager Simon Hunt checked us in and personally carried our luggage to our room and took his time to show us how to use all of the lights and blinds (they are tricky, so I'm so glad he showed us!), as well as explained the location of the fitness facility and all other amenities. The morning of our wedding, Simon checked in with me to make sure everything was perfect with our room and showed me where "Blo" their blow dry bar was since that's where my mom was getting her hair done for the wedding. (Blo did a fantastic job; I would definitely recommend it!) We called in our valet ticket number from our room and our car was waiting for us, which is so great. On the night of our wedding, the hotel staff sent champagne and chocolates to our room, which was so sweet and thoughtful! Simon really went above and beyond to ensure that our stay was wonderful and special, and we really appreciated his personal attention and service. We are so happy that we decided to stay at the W and we will recommend it to all of our friends and family! Thank you, Simon and the W- our stay was perfect!

Room Tip: Corner suites are gorgeous and roomy!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
chicago
Reviewed November 12, 2013

This is a fun, upbeat location for both a pleasure or visit trip to L.A. The facility is glitzy and manageable in style. The service was surprisingly courteous and professional. Front desk reception by Fatima was kind and understanding. This is not my usual Starwood location in L.A., but I will now make it a regular stop.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 10, 2013

So I stayed with my brother for 3 nights in a suite- the room cost comes to $2000.00 without any extra services. For such a premium price, some premium services should be expected right? I had a few qualms:

(1) the bed linen is of poor quality, quite scratchy, and the mattress is uncomfortable. The extra bed I ordered was actually more comfortable in the end than the double. The housekeeper kindly offered some blankets but these were in pretty poor shape- imagine the sort of blankets you'd give to your CAT.
(2) the fan in my room IS LOUD, wake-up-in-the-night-loud. The only way I imagined to get to sleep was by blazing up and drinking.
(3) room service of 2 so-so burgers, fries, and drinks came up to $120?
(4) the towels are rough...
(5) the "wheels" people were rude. We had called for our car, and the man who got our ticket decides to serve some ladies first, I imagine because they were pretty. They lost my tip.
(6) expensive room right? I called "W whatever", because that's the only button you can call on your room phone for service, and asked if the room had iPod speakers, a pretty normal installation for all decent hotels right? "No, but we can buy you one" was the answer. The guestimated price was $100. WHY would I buy some speakers when travelling- I obviously have some at home, but who travels with speakers?? Maybe I will have to if I ever come here again (against my own volition)

So there are obviously a myriad number of problems going on but what really gets me is the confusion the W Hotel Hollywood seems to have between being a 'party hotel' and a 'luxury hotel'. At night, there is a line outside the door for the hotel's 'famous' bar, and I myself had gone clubbing to Lure which was only a walking distance away. So the location is pristine, but there are a few catches (a) smoking in room is penalised by $500, (b) 2 people to a bed in a room, (c) an overarching rule for "no after-parties". So no parties. But the price suggests luxury. Wrong again. The painful conclusion, it seems to me, is that the W Hotel achieves neither.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Danielnjoo
Hello,

Thank you for your comments. We more often hear about how much our guests love our beds and the linens. They are so well loved we actually sell everything down the mattress. If there is any part of your room that you find not to your liking, please give us a call at Whatever/Whenever and we will be happy to make any adjustments to make your stay more comfortable. We do offer a docking station that is compatible with iPhone 4s and generations before.

We are a very lively hotel with luxury amenities. Our guests enjoy staying with us for the atmosphere, location and impeccable service. We aren't for everyone but do try to make each stay enjoyable.

All the best,
Leon Y.
Broadbeach, Australia
Reviewed November 8, 2013

This Hotel is amazing we had the best stay here the room was beautiful with everything you could possibly need, very clean and modern.
I cant say enough about the great service from all the staff. We really appreciated the help we received from the concierge desk from Chris and Britney they were both amazing and so helpful without them we would have been lost-literally!
This Hotel is close to the walk of fame right on Hollywood Blvd only 10 min walk to Chinese Theatre. The restaurant is great and there is a nightclub right next door Drais great for our first night!
I would reccommend this Hotel to any age group as it has something for everyone.
See you there next year!

Room Tip: We had 2 room types the King Room and the 2 Queen Room both as beautiful as each other
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CathrynJane
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 7, 2013

When we landed, we our driver told us that we were in a good spot in Hollywood. Telling us where Snoop Dogg, (or Lion) goes for chicken and waffles. So the hype was built, and we were excited.

We got to the W and were greeted by their door staff, who were casual and polite. There is an air of casual, non-regimented service about the W and the staff in general. We checked in and was promptly brought to our room.

Unfortunately, there were dirty glasses outside our room, which led us to suspect the room was clean too quickly to cater to the turnover. The room itself was nice, but there were stains on the towels, glasses were missing (well, they were the dirty ones outside that weren't replaced timely), and the a/c by the tv was making a lot of noise. The kind of "white noise" you don't appreciate. With that, we called down to the Front Desk and asked for another room. Never like doing that, hotels have a way of making you feel you are "finding fault" to get an upgrade, but all we want was a room that we booked for.

The girl over the phone was apathetic and then told us we'll have a room change, where we moved one door down. The room was clean, and the doorstaff that helped us earlier, was a lot more apologetic than the Front Desk staff.

We settled in our room and don't get me wrong, we liked it. The little details like "dream harder" on the bed was something that draws me to the W. It's current. To our dismay, the internet was down. And this may not be a big deal for locals who can draw on their on 4G, but to International Travellers, some of the itinerary/plans/etc are dependant on wifi. And it would be nice to not have to go down to the lobby. Again, the "whatever/whenever" line was blasé about it. It's tricky with them, sometimes when we call down, we get the friendliest happiest staff. Sometimes, we are made to feel we are bothering them. I wish I got the name of the guy over the phone that was so enthusiastic, you could tell he was smiling over the phone, and that's always infectious.

We had drinks at night, met with the Concierge staff for suggestions and overall, we enjoyed our stay. The interior design of the W Hotel definitely impresses. Even the change of the mats to Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening makes such a difference. It's one of those hotels, you don't mind staying in and spending your time in.

Overall, it was fun. It does a good job balancing contemporary without being overly pretentious. Amazing branding :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple