“Don't Expect to Sleep.”
Review of W Hollywood

W Hollywood
Ranked #79 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I recently had the opportunity to spend 4 days at W Hollywood. It a fabulous, hip, see-and-be-seen venue. The interior is beautiful, dynamic and artistically designed, consistent with W's high design standards. The level of doorman, front desk and concierge service is reasonable, though we got the feeling the staff were more interested in contributing to the "happening" atmosphere than genuinely meeting guests' needs. The "Wheels" garage service was not perfect, and on one occasion we had to wait 15 minutes for our car. This made us late for dinner with friends. The roof-top pool is a great pool scene with good poolside food, though the staff tended to be less than attentive. The ground floor restaurant Delphine was excellent, and staff truly worked hard to please. The most memorable aspect of our stay, however, was that we found it extremely difficult to get a good night's rest. Loud music from the all-night party scene in the clubs resonated throughout the building. There were also many revellers roaming the hallways in the middle of the night (bypassing the elevator bank's ground floor security), and several times they woke us by either knocking on our door at 3 am or even calling our room without authorisation. We will not be returning, ever again, to this hotel. It was if course an interesting and fun Hollywood experience. For those guests who may be interested in an all-night party scene, it is certainly the best place to stay in Hollywood. Not for guests who wish to get a good night's sleep or who expect a higher, more attentive level of service consistent with what is supposed to be a world-class hotel chain.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Leon Y, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the décor and atmosphere of the hotel during your stay. We are a very lively hotel as we are located in the heart of Hollywood where all the action is. Our primary goal is to ensure you are enjoying your stay and that you feel welcome. We want you to have an incredible experience no matter what events are happening. We recently instituted a new system in which security patrols each floor to ensure our guests are getting a good night’s rest and aren’t being disturbed by other guests. We are also working to further enforce our Suite Dreams policy where only registered guests are allowed in the rooms after 10pm.

I would love to invite you back for another stay so that we may show you the level of customer service our guests so often praise us for.

Best wishes,
Leon Y.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,800)

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Bose sound machine playing gentle waves music upon entry, huge bathroom with deep bath and luxurious toiletries. Big soft bed. Mid level floor, so no noise from the nightclub. Breakfast menu in restaurant was simple but had the best selections. Very well positioned at end of the main part of Hollywood Blvd, train station at door and very convenient, worth checking out how to get around on trains and buses as cheap, clean and frequent and they go everywhere. easy walk to Chinese theatre and other attractions. Splurge on a bit of luxury and have a massage in Bliss spa. Great stay after a long travelling holiday just before I returned home. Had to carry my own bags into hotel and to my room, not a problem for me but others complained. Concierge helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from nightclub floor
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I travel every week for work so it is a really good thing when it all comes together and the hotel is nice all around. I have stayed in almost every room class at this hotel and they are very comfortable. As a matter of fact I think the W is the best brand out there. My room this trip was the standard room they have but it was nice, quiet and well appointed. Since my company has a limit on room prices, it is rare that I am able to stay here but when I can I book it.

Room Tip: There are some spectacular view rooms on Hollywood Blvd, unfortunately the black out blinds dont bla...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank scottinobsdca

Hello and thank you for your loyalty. It is our pleasure to ensure you have a seamless stay with us. You should consider yourself a W Hollywood expert having stayed in all our different room types. Even our Wonderful Rooms are a fun experience and very spacious. I am glad we are your hotel of choice when you travel. I look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed May 18, 2013

The hotel is really cool with a real fun vibe. Service was impecable, club on top is really happening and in walking distance of loads of fun places.
The rooms are great with all of technical advances you may need. We used points and stayed for free!! All in all a great stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel so much during your last visit. Our talent is dedicated to making your stay as memorable as possible. Should you ever need anything, please reach out to Whatever/Whenever and they can help you with anything from recommending a great restaurant nearby to delivering a tooth brush to your room. Drai’s is definitely a must see with all the parties and events hosted upstairs. Thank you for your loyalty and using your points to stay with us. We hope to see you again soon.

Best,

Reviewed May 17, 2013

If you are working at or attending meetings at any of the TV or Motion Picture Studios in Burbank, Studio,City or Universal City, this is a very good choice. You are on the 101 in two minutes if you're driving, and if you are not driving, the Hollywood/Vine subway stop is literally underneath the hotel. The location is a little far east for my tastes, but overall, it's a decent base if doing business in the Valley.

For a hotel with a nightclub I have to say the valet parking is fast and efficient. I never had to wait to park or retrieve my car like I have at other "scene" hotels.

My room was perfectly quiet but some of my colleagues complained of noise. It's right in the heart of Hollywood after all.

A couple of complaints. The hot water was luke warm on two of the three mornings. It was so not hot that I actually complained and I don't even like really hot showers. The bath linens leave a lot to be desired. They are borderline bad. Like Motel 6 bad. For real. Small and rough at least the ones I was left with. In general I thought the hotel lacked in amenities.

Other than that, the room was fine and their rates are reasonable. Just don't expect too much.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sasserscampbell
Leon Y, General Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Hello and thank you for the recommendation. Our prime location gives guests easy access to top studios and businesses in the Valley. Having the subway stop just outside our hotel does make it easy for guests to travel throughout the city. We strive to work as efficiently as possible. The valets are excellent especially if you ever need directions to avoid highly congested areas.

I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy a restful night’s sleep during your stay. If you ever have an issue with anything, please call Whatever/Whenever and they will work to fix the problem and bring you anything you need. I hope we see you again on your next visit to Hollywood.

All the best,

Reviewed May 17, 2013

from the minute you step out of the car they there the help you Dakota and Matt (luggage) puts a smile on your face. The room was beautiful; clean and felt ever safe. down in the lobby was exciting and fun the bar manager Bobby put in on the top shelve for us. Check out jazz night on Sunday it's the place to be and with wait staff like Whitney things are moving. We needed help on a day trip and the Concierge Zachary did a great job. And for a dinning experience check out the Drai's restaurant and bar on the top for the hotel. WOW!! The W is the place to be.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Hello and thank you for the compliments. I will be sure to pass your kind words along to Dakota, Matt, Bobby, Whitney and Zachary. We are often praised for the functional, chic design of our guest rooms. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed Jazz Night in the Living Room. We always have great artist performing and it’s a great place to really enjoy a cocktail. Our concierges always have the best advice on where to go in Hollywood and Los Angeles. I am happy to hear they could put together a full day’s itinerary for you. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best wishes,

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Coming from the W in San Diego (which was just ok) I was a bit hesitant in staying here and was pleasantly surprised.
The location of Hollywood and Vine is "interesting" with a mis-mash demographic of people, but I think this area is very "up and coming" .
Walking into the hotel was impressive, valet was great. Front lobby staff were a bit short with us. It was busy but she wasn't overly friendly. We are preferred SPG members (which she knew upon check in) and I was a bit annoyed when she told us that wifi was an extra charge. We sort of look dumb founded and then she said "oh...did you want that complimentary"? Ummmmm....duh.
The rooms were nice, clean and modern.
The "living room" was a great pre or post dinner scene and often has live entertainment.
The location is within walking distance of the theatre district....but its a bit of a sketchy walk. Wasn't really what I expected for Los Angeles.
You need a car in Los Angeles if you want to see the city.
The Warner Bros tour is a must do....so is Rodeo drive and PLEASE DO Venice Beach...quite the scene and absolutely our best day in Los Angeles.
The conceierge guys were great and recommended the MOST AMAZING restaurant...Cleo's across the street. Check it out...you won't regret it!
Thanks.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank paedsrn

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. Hollywood and Vine does offer a colorful demographic but I would have to agree that this neighborhood is moving up quickly. We are located in the heart of all the best dining and nightlife the area has to offer.

We always hold or SPG members with high regard by recognizing them anyway we can. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your room and had a chance to let loose in the Living Room. Our concierge always has the best recommendations for just about anything. I am glad you enjoyed their choice in restaurant. I hope to see you again soon.

All the best,