“VERY DISSAPOINTED”

Ranked #73 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California
“VERY DISSAPOINTED”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Booked this hotel for New Year's Eve, and I expected to have a fantastic stay here. Unfortunately, I was very wrong. At check in, the front desk stated that they had overbooked the hotel, and they did not have the requested room available, and they could only give me a room with a single bed instead of two like I had reserved. They told me I had no choice, otherwise they could cancel the reservation, ON NYE! This is not the type of customer service that I anticipated when booking a $600 a night room. i ended up having to sleep on the floor, as not even a roll-away was provided. I expected more from the W. I WILL NOT STAY HERE AGAIN

Room Tip: Do not think that your reservation is guaranteed by this hotel. If they are overbooked they act lik...
4 Thank alejandro a

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I've stayed here twice and am not really interested in going back. It is an over-priced over-hyped faux scene. I'm all for hip and cool and quality, but this place just feels soulless, which I personally don't want to settle for, even in Hollywood.

If you've never been to LA it could be fun, if you are 21, it could be fun, if you want to do a lot of coke and get busy on an uber-comfy, high-quality bed while looking at the LA skyline from your 12th floor room... this place was made for you. Or, if you just want something that feels Hot, Hip, Hollywood and pretend to be a star while staying in a very clean luxurious feeling room - this place may be exactly what you are looking for. Go ahead and DO IT! At least it isn't that old and sticky yet.

Here are the reasons that I am not into it - I lived in LA for 8 years... I am done with the fake velvet rope to make people think they are special scene. I am also done with overpaying for something that has been hyped. And, I am done with the dog and pony, horse and pony... whatever and pony, show that happens at places like this.

Valet parking is required (with blocks of empty lots everywhere around this hotel) and it about the same price as NYC and SF, which is redonculous. Be prepared to pull up with about 20 other cars all also waiting to pay about $40 for the privilege of having someone park your car 20 feet away for you.

The front desk is efficient enough, but distracted.

The lobby bar is fine and interesting in design, but not exactly comfortable and expect to wait a loooooooooong time for service even when it is slow. I don't even know how one goes about trying to sit outside, which was fine for me since I stayed only in winter months. There are events in the meeting/ballrooms regularly which bring in a pile of other people often as well as providing distractions for staff. That is similar to most hotels though, I suppose, except I think people expect a lot more dotting and hand-holding from staff when coming to a place like this whether it is as a guest overnight or just a guest of an event.

The bar upstairs is pretty enough, a total Hollywood joke with the bouncers keeping the rif-raf out and making a fake line so it retains the sense of elusiveness and/or exclusiveness. The outdoor portion has the prerequisite pool in the middle of everything and everyone and big premiums for cabana sitting. To mix this area with a bar makes for a beautiful setting, but if you are a guest of the hotel and don't feel like waving your sexy buns on the catwalk in front of drunk strangers, you will be TSOL for pool-time. If you do want to shake your sexy buns in front of drunk strangers and pretend that you are a queen for a day while blowing piles of cash, or talking others into blowing it for you - go for it. It just isn't for me.

The room itself is very nice. Bed amazing, as to be expected. I didn't have troubles with noise, but asked for a floor in the middle. The window seat is a great touch. View is lovely, if you ignore the concrete jungle directly below. Shower is great, but not private, so I'd avoid staying in the rooms with friends unless you feel comfortable walking around naked with each other.

Overall, the quality of the hotel is very high, the service is good (especially for LA), the location makes getting anywhere pretty easy (although the immediate area is in the middle of changing from no-man's-land/vacant lot world into an actual neighborhood), and the quality of the building and rooms are top-notch and well finished. I just can't give it more than 3-stars because it was horrible staying here for business, overpriced, and I personally don't like the scene.

I've also stayed at the Redbury across the street... and although the actual quality of that hotel isn't as good and it has it's own downfalls, I much prefer it's personality and staff. - It is a different kind of "scene."

Room Tip: I asked for a higher middle floor to avoid noise and didn't hear the bar. There are some good v...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank GneissDay
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We have been traveling to LA for several years and have now become very comfortable in the Hollywood area.
They have a farmers market nearby on weekends. Nightlife is abundant, dont miss Cleo at the Redbury for dinner, walking distanct from the W.
The staff is very W and accomadating, valet on it and the bar a nice place to meet up with your people.
The spa and staff are very friendly and helpful!

Room Tip: A lower floor on a saturday night!
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I walked into my gorgeous hotel room and I heard the ocean.

The sound machine was on - but it was a pleasant surprise! It was a lovely room. No noise complaints here at all. The bed was so comfortable and the details in the room were great. There was a little kaleidoscope on the desk, a nice reclining type chair, beautiful lights, a huge TV, gorgeous bathroom. Well worth splurging. It was also very close to the things I needed to attend in town. Loved loved loved the window seat.

The staff could not have been more helpful or more pleasant. They were so fantastic. For an out of towner with no car and no LA experience, they helped me immensely. Even the bouncers at the nightclub were cordial and kind to me as I walked into the hotel late one evening. Huge kudos to the staff.

Taxis were always available which was a huge plus. Room service was delicious.

My only drawback would be that my view which I thought would be of the Hollywood sign or something nicer was just a deserted parking lot. That was the only drawback. The view was terrible but I just shut the curtain. But who's going to stay in their room looking out a window all day anyway!

Stay here at the W.

Room Tip: Ask for a nice view and not one of the parking lot.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank LovesLondon415
Brad_Wulff, Guest Relations Manager at W Hollywood, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Hello, and thank you for writing a review on your recent stay with us in Hollywood. For a first time LA visit you definitely picked the right place, and I am thrilled to see you enjoyed your time at W Hollywood.
It is always a pleasure to read that our Talent made a great impression, we take service seriously! We do have rooms with views of the Hollywood sign, however it sounds like you were on the opposite side of the property.

I hope we can welcome you back again soon, and the room types listed also state what views you can expect to see! However, there is so much to do and see in Hollywood, I would recommend getting out in to the city as well!

Have a great day,

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The hotel goes out of its way to let you know that this is a party hotel, especially on the weekend. I was coming into town for one night to celebrate a friend's birthday who lives in the W Residences. I stayed on the 5th floor in a typical W room - dark, modern, clean and well furnished, complete with noise machine, a nice touch given the reputation. We had a great lunch at the restaurant and made use of Bliss Spa. Both were excellent. If you're used to great W service, you won't be disappointed at the hotel. Special shout out to Zachary, the concierge, who is amazing at his job. The lobby wasn't nearly as crazy as I expected when we returned from dinner. We had some drinks til 12:30 or so and while there was semi-loud music, it wasn't crazy or out of control. When I got to my room, I was relieved that it was quiet and was able to easily fall asleep.

Room Tip: My room, 520, faced a wall. Don't pick that one if you want a view ;)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Greetings, and thank you for posting feedback on your stay at W Hollywood. We really do our best to let our guests know that W Hollywood is a very high energy venue, it helps ensure that everyone is aware of the sort of experience they can expect.

It sounds like you enjoyed a lot of the features of the property, and I agree, Delphine offers a fantastic lunch. They also host a great weekend brunch if you are in town again. I will be sure to pass along the compliments to Zachary, I know he will appreciate them!

Have a great day, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Palm Springs, California
Reviewed December 31, 2012

W Hollywood has a bit of a reputation has a party place. Well, I'm well past those times, and couldn't care a less about late night "partying" in Hollywood. I received the hotel on a Priceline bid. I read the reviews about not sleeping at the W and was worried. I had 3 rooms reserved for my partner and myself, and 3 relatives. When I arrived I requested quiet rooms, explicitly saying we wanted to sleep. The check in clerks were professional and kind, and found us rooms they said would be "quieter." We had no problems at all sleeping. Our group had ages ranging from 22-67. Everyone loved the over the top modern decor of the hotel and rooms. The place tries hard to be hip, and it succeeds. The valet guys were quick, too. Overall, the W has won me over, and I will be returning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hello, and thank you for the review! I am so happy to see we won you over! The best compliment we can receive is a return visit, and I know we all look forward to seeing you again soon.

Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We came from the east coast to LA to visit family, so we were pretty jet-lagged. The walls are paper thin and you can hear everything going on around you, and more, that you don't really want to hear. We did, however, get impeccable service from the front desk, the restaurant, room service, and the valet. It is in a good location for us - near family, but it was too noisy.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to write a review of your time at W Hollywood. I am sorry to see you were impacted by some noise from adjacent rooms. If at any time guests are disturbing you, we would be happy to assist, just let us know via the phone in your room and we can send Security right up. With that said, W Hollywood is a very nightlife oriented property, and there are times where it can be lively late at night.

I am glad to see your interactions with our Talent went well. I hope next time you are looking for a vibrant night out in Hollywood, you think of us.