“Perhaps veggie burgers aren't their specialty?”
Review of Umami Burger

Umami Burger
Reserve with OpenTable
Umami Burger is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #122 of 9,980 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch
Neighborhood: Hollywood
Kitchener
“Perhaps veggie burgers aren't their specialty?”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Had lunch here and was eager to try the offerings. The draft I selected was great -- crisp and citrusy, the rest of the meal was OK, but not super. My partner and I shared a salad and a burger. The salad was OK, but the dressing was quite bland. The burger was the veggie option -- not much choice, you have to go with the pre-selected toppings, which is a shame. These were good, by the way. The burger lacked flavor and substance though. We ordered sweet potato fries and these were good but I did not care for the sweet sugar dusting.

Overall I would give the chain another chance, but would order more carefully next time.

• Visited July 2013

• Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
“Most. Overrated. Burger. Ever.”
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Three things that I don't like about Umami: no substitutions (you can subtract but not add ingredients to pre-set burgers); buns are really bad; the topping combinations are fussy (which makes my first complaint all the more problematic). I don't understand how anyone can rate the burgers here higher than Laurel Tavern, The Local Peasant or even The Counter (which isn't all that great either). This is a classic example of scene over food; can't believe real foodies love this place.

• Visited October 2012
San Jose, California
“Great Burger”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

The burgers are great and the menu is full of great choices. Not just a usual burger... worth the wait and the price tag if you like great food!

• Visited May 2013
Birmingham
“Hard to find a tastier lunch”
Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

I personally dont even like fries but even I was blown away by the sweet potato fries!
Their turkey burger was by far the best burger I've ever had. The bun, the cheese, the lettuce was all perfect.
This will be one of the first places I'll visit when I come to LA again. Already craving another Umami!

• Visited June 2013
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
“Good burger, Amazing fries!”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Friends took me here on a recent visit to LA because they love it. We went to the Hollywood location, which they said was the best. Had the Truffle Burger which was great! Super juicy, perfect size. At first I was looking for the ketchup, but once I took a bite I realized it wasn't needed! The fries were the best. Had the Manly fries and the Truffle fries (shared them all with friends, so you don't think I'm a total pig!) The friend I was with said she didn't like the 'new' truffle fries as they've changed the recipe to use a sauce instead of cheese on the top and wrote the head quarters. The head chef for Umami wrote her back and said to request them as "OLD SCHOOL" which we did. The waitress balked at this, but went back and asked the chefs and they did it for us. They were to die for!

• Visited June 2013