“Hollywood's Horrible Histories!”

Dearly Departed: The Tragic History Tour of Los Angeles
Ranked #14 of 248 Tours in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Murders, Deaths, Scandals and fun things happened all over Los Angeles. But it's light hearted. Promise. Dearly Departed Tours is a 3 hour tour of the Deathstyles of the Rich and Famous. Legends from Mae West and Bela Lugosi, to Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson. With a side of Hugh Grant and Chris Brown and Rihanna thrown in for good measure. "Creepy, Hilarious, but not for kids or the prissy." - Lonely Planet Also available, The Helter Skelter Tour - based solely on the Manson Murders. Join Scott Michaels, the host of the documentary, The Six Degrees of Helter Skelter will unravel this bizarre time in American History. American Horror Story based their "Eternal Darkness Tour" on us and we've been featured in Anthony Bourdain's The Layover, E! 20 Most Horrifying Hollywood Murders and The Girls Next Door. Hundreds of unedited positive reviews online, Tripatini, Yelp, Yahoo Travel and Tripadvisor. *** Because of our recent move, the MUSEUM is closed until mid to late April.
Preston, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Hollywood's Horrible Histories!”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Brian, the tour guide, is brilliant! He is the master of Hollywood's horrible histories. On this tour you see lots and learn even more about Hollywood murders, scandals and suicides. If you're English, you won't always know who the dead celebrities are but Brian makes it so fascinating it doesn't matter! Highlight for me was seeing The Landmark Motel where Janis Joplin died - and hearing Brian's accompanying story! Highly recommended if you want to do something different.

Windsor, CA
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Excellent!!”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Highly recommend this tour!!! Funny and VERY informed staff! Small group. I would even consider taking it again, next time I am in Hollywood.

Visited June 2012
Sydney, Australia
158 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,549 helpful votes
“Fantastic tour, thorough and much more than other stars homes tours”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I have been three times to LA in the last year for holidays and each time I have wanted to do this tour but did all the other ones which according to who you get the same house belongs to many different stars.
This tour is Brilliant whilst it covers the macabre and deaths, murders and suicides in Hollywood whilst it covers all this you get a much better picture and tour around the homes than other tours.
Our guide was full of knowledge and didn't stop talking the whole time, now whilst sometimes this can be annoying, he had so many facts, details and stories of events and the dearly departed stars lives, you just wanted to hear it al.
My personal favorite stop was at the Viper room where 20 years ago River Phoenix, my first celebrity crush tragically died far to young, in the gutter, whilst his young brother Joachim was on the near by pay phone crying for help with emergency services.
You will visit the Mansfield murder house, the motel where Janis Joplin overdosed, a drive around Michael Jackson's last house he lived and died in and many many more.
This is not morbid or depressing but very interesting and insightful especially how many great movie stars died in virtual poverty.
The rest room break in taken at the Beverly Hills park public toilets where George Michael was arrested for lewd behaviour, such fun to see.
I would highly recommend this tour and say do it first before you do a stars homes one. Bus was very modern, comfortable, clean and air conditioned. Thanks for a wonderful tour.

3 Thank VangeInternational
Bay Area, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Different and fun!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We just went on our third tour with Dearly Departed in the past year. We have done the Hollywood Movie tour, Tragical History, and most recently the Helter Skelter tour. All 3 have been awesome, it was amazing to spend the day with Scott Michaels on the Helter Skelter tour. We are huge fans and plan on doing the Halloween Movie tour this fall. The little bits of info that you learn when passing by certain landmarks is my favorite part of the tour. We love to visit famous areas and there isn't anyone who knows more about LA than Scott. (Brian was awesome too!!)

Definitely recommend any of the tours that sound interesting to you, you will not be disappointed!

Saint Louis, Missouri
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“quirky + awesome”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My friends and I did this tour last April, Friday the 13th. I've been meaning to do it for a few years. I'm so glad I finally cashed in on that idea!

I was nervous at first but the tour was not creepy or dark as I suspected. In fact, you learn a lot about Hollywood history, movie star homes/history of homes, architecture, and crimes.

The tour guide, Brian, was AWESOME! He is very enthusiastic about his job. Go very sober and attentive..he is a ball of energy and talks very fast. I enjoyed his sense of humor and zeal in this most interesting tour. He makes the tour interactive so you aren't just sitting and listening.

Brian earned extra points with me by offering the front seat to anyone who gets carsick. I appreciate this because those who are not prone to being carsick often overlook this and leave the carsick person awkwardly asking to be in the front. I was his co-pilot. The van hold 13 or 14 and was probably comfortable but who knows, I had the front!

I would recommend this tour for any visitor OR native. No, just because you are from LA does not mean you are too cool or above taking a tour of your own town. Plus, you don't get out of the van (except for a restroom stop mid way through at the bathroom George Michael made famous) so noone will see you. Your secret is safe with Brian.

Visited May 2012