“True story -- Jerry knows customer service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Jerry's Motel

Jerry's Motel
Ranked #11 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Ft. Worth Texas
“True story -- Jerry knows customer service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2010

True story: I made my plans for a business trip to Los Angeles about three weeks ago. Swayed by the positive reviews of Jerry's Motel here, I booked a room. Important note: Jerry (yes, there is a Jerry) does not ask for credit card information prior to arrival. Unconventional and while a little unnerving for some business travelers (who connect giving a CC# with locking in a reservation), it is, on the other hand, a fair gesture and one that conveys trust. Rest of story: Through a business contact I secure lodging closer to my business event (E3 at the LACC, the largest convention in Los Angeles), at no cost to me, so of course I choose to stay at that hotel. However, I forget to inform Jerry that I no longer need the previously reserved room at his motel. Fast forward to the first day of the event -- the day after I was to have checked in at Jerry's. I get a call on my cell phone and it is Jerry, who in the friendliest and an almost gentle manner, asks if I intend to stay at the hotel. I am shocked at my own forgetfulness. I feel terrible. I apologize to Jerry. I offer to make good on the reservation. Repeat apologies. Jerry will have none of it. He understands. He asks if I made it to Los Angeles safely. How my accommodations are. He says there is no need to send any money but to come by the motel to have a look and to please consider his operation on my next trip. Bottom line: Jerry is clearly a fair, honest, stand-up guy. I flaked on him and he never made me feel like the idiot I was. I certainly cost Jerry a couple hundred dollars in lost revenue during the biggest business week in Los Angeles. My hats off to you, sir. May the good reviews for Jerry's Motel continue -- you very likely deserve them. And I will definitely consider your motel on my next trip to LA. Thank you Jerry for your unconventional and unusually fair approach to business.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank carlos99_10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2010

If you have plans to be gone most of the day and just need a clean and tidy place to refresh yourself ... I recommend this motel. The only negative is that it's wedged in between two less-than-desirable properties, although I still felt safe. EZ walking distance to rapid transit system and convention centers. Owner/manager is very willing to accommodate any special needs.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2010

Stayed there twice - have no problem recommending it. What I need is a clean, comfortable room, big clean bed, nice bath, TV, free WiFi. Jerry's Motel had all those, plus very friendly, cooperative staff. And free parking!. Close to downtown!

If you want a Hilton, and have an extra $200 to spare, go to the Hilton. if your needs are more modest, like mine, then stay in Jerry's.

Michael
IRELAND

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2010

As part of my relocation to Los Angeles I needed to find a new place to live. In the interim, I discovered Jerry's Motel and stayed there for a few days while I searched for housing. What a great experience! Conveniently located near downtown and most of the major freeways, I was able to use Jerry's as my home base until I secured a place of my own.

The service is outstanding, the rooms are clean, and parking is included. The area is not what some would consider ideal but I liked it and never felt like my security was at risk.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2010

I stayed at Jerry's for 4 nights in March and had a great experience. I was attending a conference downtown at the Westin, where rooms run over $200 per night. Jerry's was about at 10 minute walk away, and charged $65 per night. The staff, which is one family, was very friendly, and helped fix the wireless internet when it was broken. The rooms were very clean and very safe (though nothing too fancy). I ended up needing a receipt months later to get reimbursed for the stay, and they promptly emailed a copy of my receipt to me. For an inexpensive place to stay when visiting downtown, Jerry's is good option.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2010

If you are looking with competitive rates in LA downtown area, this is the one.
The hotel's location is great and the service excellent.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Northampton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2010

I was skeptical at first, but some good reviews on this site convinced me to give this place a shot. At $65/night with free parking, free wireless (that works), cable TV with a large flat-screen, microwave/fridge, and just minutes' walk from downtown, you definitely cannot beat the price. On top of that, the room was clean and comfortable, and the owner was friendly providing good service.

Remember that to a certain extent you get what you pay for, so don't expect luxury. Also don't expect it to feel like a budget chain hotel such as Super 8 or Knight's Inn. This is less... shall we say "updated" than those chain motels tend to be. It feels instead like a really great $15 room you'd find while backpacking through Latin America. And once you shift your paradigm in this way you can appreciate how nice the room really is. It's small and the old building feels outdated and a bit drab. But it's clean and comfortable with personable details.

The parking and rooms are open to the outside (not gated) and some prior reviewers described the neighborhood as sketchy. The motel is very close to downtown (I walked in 5 minutes to the Marriott) but located in a rapidly-changing neighborhood that is mixed-income quickly turning toward low-income depending on which direction you walk. I felt 100% comfortable and safe staying here for two nights alone, as a White woman in my 30s, and visibly pregnant at the time. One night I walked home from dinner downtown alone after dark, at about 8pm. The next night I drove home around midnight and parked in the motel lot. Never did I feel unsafe or uncomfortable during my stay here. And even as a pregnant woman, I slept like a baby in the bed.

There is no bathtub, just a standup shower. But it's clean with plenty of hot water and water pressure. The owner even gives you a Pert-Plus shampoo and body lotion when you check in.

If you want a VERY reasonable price in a central location then Jerry's Motel cannot be beat. I will definitely stay there again if I need to be in downtown LA.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business