“AMAZING Drinks!”
Review of Trader Vic's - CLOSED

Trader Vic's
Cuisines: American, Hawaiian, Bar, Pub, Polynesian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Figueroa and Francisco
Transit: L.A. LIVE is located at 800 W. Olympic Blvd. in downtown Los Angeles, near STAPLES Center and the Los Angeles Convention Center. The L.A. LIVE campus is only a 5 minute walk from Pico Station (Blue Line) and a 10 minute walk from the 7th Street Metro Station (Red/Purple Line).
Statesboro, Georgia, USA
“AMAZING Drinks!”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

The customer service and food were good, but the BEST items on their menu are the drinks! I would definitely return for another visit! It is a great date night place, happy hour or couples dinner.

Visited December 2012

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Tiki lunch”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We popped in for lunch when walking by, 'most excellent' food, great service with really friendly staff who are considerate and attentive.

Visited October 2013
Carlsbad, California
“Horrible Service from Friendly People”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We were in town for the X-Games and stopped in to get a drink and some appetizers. The staff were friendly but the service was horrible, and I am pretty patient and understanding having been a bartender myself. When we first arrived we were waved to seat ourselves by the hostess because she was on the phone (the restaurant phone, nothing wrong with this). We sat on the patio and a busboy brought us menus and said our server would be right with us. About 15 minutes later the busboy brought us water and we still hadn't spoken to a server or had anyone else come by the table. After 25 minutes, still no one to our table to take a drink order, my boyfriend went inside to ask the bartender if we in fact had a server.

There were a number of other tables on the patio that were experiencing various degrees of service but none seemed happy. The bartender said he'd send someone right out. 5 more minutes, the server comes out and goes to a table that was seated after us. Now were running short on time so we go into the bar.

The bartender was incredibly friendly but very distracted and slow to take our drink and food order. We asked out long it would take for the appetizers as we had to leave by 4:30 (it was 3:55), he said it should only take 10 minutes. My boyfriend ordered the original mai tai and some spring rolls and I got the Trader Vic Salad and water. While the bartender was making the Mai Tai he was conversing with a girl at the bar which served as a bit of a distraction for him and it took him a painfully long time to make the drink, right in front of us. The people next to us asked repeatedly if anyone was making the mai tai's they had ordered (likely before we even sat down). It was a mess. The drink finally made, the bartender dropped an ice cube on the slop tray, picked it up and put it back in the drink. Now, I ain't fancy but that's gross.

When the BF tried the drink, it was just ok. A bummer for a $12 mai tai. Then we waited for the food. The bartender kept assuring us that it was on its way out and was very apologetic. Our food (3 spring rolls and a very small salad) came out at 4:22 - 27 minutes after we ordered. We scarfed it down - it didn't take long because it wasn't much food - so I can't really tell you if it was good or bad. My overall impression was that it was pretty good, though. I just wish we could have sat and eaten like civilized people!

The bartender was was very apologetic and even comped the drink which was very appreciated, at least there was recognition that our visit was less than stellar. I don't think we were the only ones as on both the patio and at the bar we saw numerous tables and people having similar difficulties. I'm hoping it was just an off-day, that maybe they were understaffed (it was by no means busy while we were there; lots of empty tables) and had more people than they thought with the X-Games going on but I'm not sure I'll give them another go.

• Visited August 2013
Austin, Texas
“Vic's is finally getting it with the service”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Wow - I don't know what happened with the service, but keep it up. It was like a breath of fresh air during my last trip. Finally service to match price -- what a concept.

• Visited July 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Excellent bar and bar food”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

For a change when you have an event at L. A. Live or Staples, try Trader Vic's. The bar menu is reasonably priced, and there is a good selection of drinks, including the fruity drinks you remember from the Islands.

Parking is expensive in the building, but there are times Trader Vic's will validate for two hours. Check in advance.

• Visited March 2013