“Tar Pit Adventure ”

Book In Advance
Buy Tickets Online
$12.00*
and up
General Admission Ticket: La Brea Tar Pits and...
$148.99*
La Brea Tar Pits Tour by Segway
$89.00*
Small Group Highlights Tour of Los Angeles
Ranked #21 of 588 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Explore the world's only active, urban Ice Age excavation site. Inside the Page Museum is where we showcase the best fossils, animals, and plants that have been discovered here - mammoths, saber-toothed cats, dire wolves, and more. Experience the Ice Age come to life with our Ice Age Encounters show. Outside check out the La Brea Tar Pits where tar is still bubbling and our active fossil excavation sites to see what our excavators have uncovered today. Make the most of your visit with our Excavator Tour. Get the behind-the-scenes story and see scientists working on recently excavated fossils, walk around our famous Lake Pit, and visit our live dig site where scientists discover new Ice Age specimens every day. Free with museum admission.
Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

Lived in LA most if my early childhood and never visited much of the local attractions other than the theme parks. We always like to visit places that were not traveled by others as much and now I live in one of those quiet beautiful places.
But making a 3 1/2 hour drive so my kids could see something different was a great pleasures or the hole family. This is a must see place for the kids to learn the difference between fossils and Dinosaurs.
Just be careful to not get tar on you our as my young son said " I did not get tar on me, just wanted to tar some of the park with me".
Take your family it's a must see and stay to see the other things in LA that you didn't do as a kid.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

This museum and the surrounding park were a highlight of our trip to LA. It was a refreshing change to visit a 'real' attraction rather than something from Hollywood or art bought in from elsewhere (though there are some very good art museums in LA of course, including LACMA next door!).

This is not a dinosaur museum. The tar pits have preserved animals from more recent history (mammoths, saber tooths, etc). There are some great speciments on display- very impressive. The short interpretive film is well worth watching and the displays are very well put together. It is not a museum that you need to spend hours in, being relatively small. 2-3 hours is likely to be sufficient for most people.

The highlight for me was actually seeing the scientists in action. They have a glass fronted lab that allows you to see them at work studying the fossils. There are also a couple of exhibits in the park where you can observe the scientists getting the fossils out of the tar and working to understand the jumble of bones. The talks/tours by museum staff are very informative BUT you need to book in advance to be sure of getting a spot. If you are short on time and dollars you can walk in the park, where the tar pits are very clearly visible, for no charge.

1  Thank chalk_11
Reviewed July 23, 2014

I have always been fascinated by Dinosaurs, so the La Brea Tars Pits and the Page Museum were a must see for me. (The tar pits outside are free, but the museum has a fee.) I loved the La Brea Tar Pits; yes even the distinctive bubbling, smelly tar pits caught my interest. It was so interesting to see some archeological sites (especially Pit 9) that are still being worked as you watch. The grounds are park like with plenty of areas to relax, and once again is free. The Page museum has an entrance fee; the museum has impressive collections and informative displays of the fossils which have been found in the tar pits. (I would suggest paying a little extra for the movie.) It was so surprising to see the vast number and variety of animals caught in these tar pits. Even more interesting was a glassed-in lab which is centrally located in the middle of the museum where you can watch several scientists and even students actually working on the fossils that have been found in the "tar pits". Allow at lest two hours for the visit.

2  Thank Carl A
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I grew up in Los Angeles. In fact, I spent quite a bit of time at La Brea Tar Pits, and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (which is still wonderful by the way). What an absolute heartbreak when I decided to take my grand daughters for a new experience here.

I no longer live in California, but my mother does and she has a lifetime membership to the LACMA. However, we decided we were going to go into the Page Museum so the girls could see the dinosaurs. When we went in the prices were high, which we were going to pay. However, my mother was asked if she would like to sign up for a yearly membership. It was $85. She quickly said yes, until we discovered that the membership only covered the members of the party who were standing there right at the moment, or whomever she happened to write down on the paper (one other adult and up to 3 children I believe). It always has to be the "exact" same people to use the membership entrance!
Honestly, who always goes to the museum with the exact same people? Especially, in a place like Los Angeles, CA. Anyone, other than those on the list would have to pay full price. What a rip off! This includes the Museum of Natural History by USC as well. Again, ridiculous. I have been to the museums many times, but I cannot say always with the same group.

We thanks the young lady and saw our way out. We then went over to the LA County Museum of Art where my mother has a membership that does not require "specific" people. We had a wonderful time.

It was not the money, it was the principle. There are better ways to make money for the museum than extorting it from folks who want to have an educational day out with the kids. Shame on you Page Museum...

1  Thank CynC777
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Price of museum also includes guided tour. It would be best to set up your tour on-line ahead of time, otherwise the time slots may fill up.